Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone care to comment on these Spinerval DVDS?
Quote | Reply
It's the time of year where we get asked for what for Christmas. I can't think of anything I necessarily "have to have", so I thought I could use some spinerval DVD's.

Note: I am preparing for an Ironman-distance triahtlon Sept 05.

5.0 -- Mental Toughness (90 min)

9.0 -- Have Mercy (2 hours) -- This one is just beggin me to buy it.

14.0 -- Totally Time Trial (90 min). Not sure if this one is applicable.

16.0 -- Aero Base Builder I (80 min)

17.0 -- Aero Base Builder II (70 min)

18.0 -- Aero Base Builder III (70 min)

--------------------------------------

I am looking at the 3 Aero-Base Building DVD's as the ones I'd most likely ask for, but I am wondering if there is enough similarity among the 3 that one DVD would suffice and 2 different DVD could be purchased in conjunction to add some variety.

Comments?

Thanks in advance. RyanB.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone care to comment on these Spinerval DVDS? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be lost without my Spinervals. I use them extensively, as time outside on the bike is limited for me. 4 kids and a wife in graduate school = lot's and lot's of trainer time.

That being said, those around here with much more experience than I have remarked that the intensity of some of these DVD's may be a tad too much for those going long distance. They're probably right.

Of those you mentioned I have Mental Toughness and Totally Time Trial - and they are two of my favorites (I also have Zoot Challenge, Big Gear Strength, and the Uphill Grind).

I get much more out of these than I ever would out on the road before 7:00 am - which is when I do most of my training.

Keep in mind that under my present circumstance I don't really have a "season" (I race sporadically only a few times per year). Therefore I definitely do not have an "off-season", so I go as hard as I can, whenever I feel up to it. My personal definition of periodization is I train when I can, period!

Too make a long story endless, the new Aero Base Builder series may be the way to go for you.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone care to comment on these Spinerval DVDS? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the 3HR Tough Love DVD? It is specifically for Iron Distance/Centuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had, and sold, 9.0 - Have Mercy. I just could never get into the Spinervals deal. Seemed pretty intense, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone care to comment on these Spinerval DVDS? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My two favorites are totally time trial and tough love. Both are pretty killer workouts and they both provide good value for the money -- 90 minutes and 180 minutes (i think). The shorter ones (around 45 minutes) are fine, but sometimes not enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're going to do them, get 3 of them. this should last you all season and be enough variety to keep it as fresh as a spinerval can be.

personally, i think they're corny to watch and they do make me laugh, but found the workouts to be a darn good challenge. try your own music over top the music on the tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did mental toughness yesterday, longer intervals so you can make it as tough as you want to push (true for all of them).

Have Mercy is just a Mother. It is bits of each of the previous tapes. Your ass will be hanging after it.

I have 1-9 and 11. I really like them all but the recovery one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm particularly interested in the aero base builder series and later.. Anyone try these, yet?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out the CTS trainright videos. i prefer them over spinervals. climbing and tt videos are good.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As above, if you have not got Tough Love that is the one to get first for sure. It is really good.

I do have Aero B.B. I. It is ok but I find it rather dull. The whole DVD is a long series of the same basic aerobic intervals with the work/rest balance changing. To be fair though (for me) it is the difficulty with the others that makes them interesting/challenging - it is hard to do the same with what is really a very comfortable workout.

So I guess you have to ask whether in that case it is just best to watch a movie/listen to music...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hill climb one has a really cute girl in the back row, so I find it pretty easy to work through... ;-)

Time Trial Special kicks my ass (it's the only one that's made me puke, but that may have had more to do with the fact that I was trying a new energy drink. Yuck.)

Quote | Reply

http://www.1upusa.com/spinervals.html

The link above is the list I was looking at. I don't see no "Tough Love" ... but plenty of other colorful names ... suffer-o-rama.

http://www.trigeeks.ca/coach.html

Found this ... coaches's recommendations of spinerval videos. Not surprising, Coach Troy recommends almost all of them for IM trainees. =) Ummm, Honey ...

---------------------------

Thanks for the tip 'bout the Aero series. Maybe I'll buy the LOTR series and get 9 hours of riding time.

I'd like to get a "medium ride", a "spin ride", and a "long ride" DVD. That is how my week is set-up. All of em 'cept the long ride will be done "before dawn", so indoor trainer is what I am looking at.

Going by that requirement, which 3 would youse guys buys? ;)

---------------------------

http://www.bikyle.com/spinervals.asp

Just found this site ... has em all. $29.99 each.

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Nov 29, 04 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As it happens I did two hours to Return of the King yesterday - massive HR spike around the charge of the Rohirrim.

I'd get Tough Love and Mental Toughness and then just use TV/DVD other times when you want to spin. Remember with TL you can select which sets to do from the menu so you have three hours of workouts that you can mix and match a bit for shorter workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its 13.0. Go to the Spinervals Website:

http://www.spinervals.com/...;sort=20a&page=2
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone care to comment on these Spinerval DVDS? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Troy used to be my coach many moons ago. Dude knows what he's talking about when it comes to pushing bike gears :-) He got me down to a sub 2:15 1/2 IM split on the bike at more than a few races.

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, you know, I have only watched one. But I can tell you we sell the heck out of the Aerobic Base Builder ones. That is the most popular title(s) now.

If you buy more than three from us you get 20% off! http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone care to comment on these Spinerval DVDS? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sell those online, right? I've got Xmas coming up. When I was in town back in August, I stopped in and bought a Tufo tire and a C'dale race singlet and had the tire installed on my rear disc wheel. I used that singlet at the GFT. Loved it.

T
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone care to comment on these Spinerval DVDS? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just call us: (313) 278-1350. We have all the DVD's and the trainers too, which have a slightly lighter, more responsive flywheel than the standard Kurt Kinetic trainer so the rider can accelerate faster to keep up with the Spinerval DVD workout on screen.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone care to comment on these Spinerval DVDS? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm flying in on the 6th for a week. Got an on-the-job-injury training class on the 7th at the airport. I'll stop in during the week and pick a couple up. When you canceled your Phuket trip, I held onto the NWA amenity stuff I was gonna give you. I'll drop it off, then.

T
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone care to comment on these Spinerval DVDS? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! Thank you! See you then! By the way, the staff on the Northwest flight I took going to and coming from Poenix were nothing short of superb- truly.

Considering how heavy a travel day it was and that the flight was absolutely jam-packed full they just kept everyone happy, worked really hard, were very fun and friendly and did a fine job. I am consistently impressed. That is not an easy job.

I flew out on Thanksgiving, flight 257, and the crew from check in to waling off the jet way were kind, helpful, smiling and wished us a Happy Thanksgiving. Considering these people were working very hard on a holiday, they were very, very nice to be around.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's funny about working at that terminal is that in high-travel season, we would board over 52,000 passengers in a day (counting transfers and local orginators). Out here in Honolulu, a busy MONTH for us is 37,000 passengers.

I was always constantly amazed at how my guys in DTW kept their humor, for the most part. I love the people out here, but I tell most of them that they'd go into shock if they had to handle the passenger loads that they put up with at that hub. They've got it easy out here.

See you next week :-)

T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you buy more than three from us you get 20% off! http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/

Shameless plug. Tom ... of course we'll buy from you. I had no idea you guys sold Spinervals. I just printed the item list sheet w/ your phone number. Should order in a week or so.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder about that Aero Base Building series - do I really need to spend $30 in order to spin aerobically with some 1-leg drills interspersed?

Of course maybe there's more to it, but as they are pretty new there aren't any reviews on the Spinervals site yet.

That's a good point. I'm gonna watch one of these tonight and do a review. Good suggestion Sir.

Thanks.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I eagerly await your review.

Prev Next