Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone 6ft tall fit a M Transition before?
Quote | Reply
I've got a pretty decent ride right now but looking to upgrade to a transition.

I'm about 6ft and was wondering if anyone who is 6ft/6ft 1 in has fit a specialized Transition Medium?

I can get a really good deal on one but wont be able to test ride it/play with fit until after it arrives... I am about a 33 inseam and arms are about 31 in arms.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone 6ft tall fit a M Transition before? [lovetorace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'11"

I initially started my ownership with a medium, now I'm on an XL.

You can probably 'fit' on it, but it's going to take quite a bit of build out. If you're not a fan of lots of seatpost, a mighty long stem, and a pile of spacers, I'd imagine it won't be best for you. Transitions are not 'big' bikes to begin with, so a M is getting down into the 52-54 range of traditional sizing.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone 6ft tall fit a M Transition before? [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just about 6'1" and ride an XL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6 ft and ride a medium, but could have fit on a small. It all depends on your body.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone 6ft tall fit a M Transition before? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'11" Ride a medium very comfortably. I would say it depends on lower back flexibility. I have long legs ergo a high seat. But I have my handlebars dropped as low as they will go just because I can for the most part....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you look at the stack and reach numbers of the transition in M, or S or L or XL for that matter, it corresponds to everybody else's one size down. that is, an M in a transition is the rest of the industry's S (or 50 to 52cm), a transition in L is everybody else's M and so forth.

for example:

transition size M: stack - 516 reach - 395
scott plasma size S: stack - 515 reach - 392
orbea ordu size 51: stack - 512 reach - 395
kestrel 4000 size 50: stack - 525 reach - 394

so, the size M in this bike is pretty small for a guy your size. i believe mccormack is now riding an XL, i think he was on an L. i think he experienced what a lot of people did, which is a visceral reaction to riding such a large bike. but it's not a large bike. it's a moderately sized bike that has a sizing nomenclature problem. nothing wrong with the bike at all, nice bike, but, you should not let the naming convention trip you up. you're either an L or an XL most likely.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone 6ft tall fit a M Transition before? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden a 56 p2c before... and after looking at the stack and reach, yeah... the p2c felt great and is similar to an xl transition. Time to keep looking, I guess. Thanks everyone for the responses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'0 and have been riding a M Transition very comfortably for a couple of years, and doing quite well on it in races. A lot depends on your body type and flexibility. Do not let anyone tell you flat out that a medium is too small for you. If you're gonna drop the kind of coin on a bike, get and ride it a few times before you buy.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone 6ft tall fit a M Transition before? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up going to an XXL for Ironman distance training. My XL was too tight and positioned aggressively to be comfortable for the run. I am 6'2", so you may have great results with an XL or L. I would suggest with any bike, your first good fitting should still allow adjustments both more aggressive and then more relaxed. Example, seat falls in the middle of the rails on the seatpost. My ride.
http://s1157.photobucket.com/...evt=user_media_share
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' and used to ride the old aluminum transition in a medium, fit perfectly, no compaints . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone 6ft tall fit a M Transition before? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does 90% of your height come from your legs?

That's a crazy short amount of reach for a guy your height..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6 1 and thought my medium fit well, until I bought a Valdora size large. Go for the large.
S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im almost 6'1" and ride a medium transition. It is money for me, but I suppose it just depends on leg and arm length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the info you posted I would say Large or XL. I'm 6' and have a Large, although I think an XL might have been a better fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6ft with poor flexibility and ride a L. I have a 30degree stem on it to compesate for my inability to stretch out my lower back which means I might have fit on a medium in terms of reach but like you I'm more legs than torso so you might run out of seatpost with a medium. If you're super flexible than you can probable be adjusted to any bike but if you have issues like me I'd recommend getting your fit numbers first and then bike a second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' even and ride a Large. It currently has two 5mm spacers under the stem and I'd prefer a little more reach as well. In short, if you have good flexibility, go at least for the L, if not the XL.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone 6ft tall fit a M Transition before? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
if you look at the stack and reach numbers of the transition in M, or S or L or XL for that matter, it corresponds to everybody else's one size down. that is, an M in a transition is the rest of the industry's S (or 50 to 52cm), a transition in L is everybody else's M and so forth.

for example:

transition size M: stack - 516 reach - 395
scott plasma size S: stack - 515 reach - 392
orbea ordu size 51: stack - 512 reach - 395
kestrel 4000 size 50: stack - 525 reach - 394

so, the size M in this bike is pretty small for a guy your size. i believe mccormack is now riding an XL, i think he was on an L. i think he experienced what a lot of people did, which is a visceral reaction to riding such a large bike. but it's not a large bike. it's a moderately sized bike that has a sizing nomenclature problem. nothing wrong with the bike at all, nice bike, but, you should not let the naming convention trip you up. you're either an L or an XL most likely.

This^^^

I'm 5' 10-11" and my Transition was an L...and I seriously considered an XL at the time I ordered it.

As a reference, I was coming from a 55 P2K...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply