Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody switch from Kickr to Zwift Hub?
Quote | Reply
Per Wahoo, my V3 Kickr is terminally ill. They no longer support my version and said it could stop working at any moment. She makes a nasty sound while using and you can see the cassette wobble a little. But still works. Apparently the ratchet ring broke.

So now I’m in the market for a new smart trainer. Was thinking of the Kickr Move but had a rocker plate before. Didn’t really add anything for me.

The Zwift Hub is half the price of the Kickr. I looked at all the comparisons. Watched the YouTube videos from Smart Trainer guy.

Would like some real user feedback though. Anybody make this change? Is it that big of a difference or will I not really notice? The cost of the Kickr v6 is not an issue, I just don’t want to spend that extra money if it doesn’t really add much value.

For context, I do about 3,000 miles a year on Zwift.

Thanks.

Last edited by: Economist: Nov 5, 23 19:10
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody switch from Kickr to Zwift Hub? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't answer that question specifically because I haven't tried the hub yet.

I have used a large variety of trainers (both high end and entry level). My two main devices right now are a Tacx Neo and a Wahoo kickr.
I would like to highlight there's plenty of good direct drive trainers at reasonable prices nowadays and you mostly wouldn't notice much difference between them. You will find that entry level trainers feel cheaper (lighter, less resistance) but still pretty good.

Firstly, the tacx neo can be found at really good prices nowadays. In my opinion it's the best trainer I've used overall. There's hardly any difference between the 2 and 2T so you could go with whichever you find cheaper. The only annoying thing is that Tacx neo is a beast if you ever have to move it.

Of good price direct drive trainer you could also consider the kickr core, Elite Suito, Elite Justo, Tacx flux, decathlon van rysel and more.

Keep in mind the differences between the cheaper and more expensive trainers do exist but they are mostly around the range of incline simulation, wattage range, power accuracy and additional features. The difference only matters if you care about this specific features.
Also, the higher end products are much heavier which can be really good if you don't want your trainer to move or very annoying if you often have to take it places or move it around the house. Cheaper trainers are much lighter.

To be honest though, if you're happy with the kickr and can afford a new one I would simply wait/search for a good discount and go for that. If you do the kind of indoor volume you do I'd feel more confident buying a kickr or a tacx neo than any of the other options. I wouldn't swap my Wahoo kickr for any of the entry level trainers even if the entry level are good enough.

One thing I would double check if I were you is if Wahoo can offer you a discount based on the fact that you're a past customer.

I had a tacx neo and when it failed after the warranty period expired, Garmin offered me a discounted refurbished trainer of their newer model.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Nov 6, 23 5:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kickr (v2 I believe). Knock on wood it still works. But I switched to 12 speed over the summer and they don't make a 12 speed adapter for that version of the Kickr. So my wife is using it and I got the Zwift Hub. I really can't tell any difference between the two. Granted I mainly use the trainer from fall to spring. I am very satisfied with my purchase, especially since it came with a free year of Zwift (and they were offering free shipping at the time I ordered it). I've only had it a month and a half so I can't really speak to long term quality. Based on the reviews I read, since it's based on an existing platform, I would expect quality to be on par with others.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody switch from Kickr to Zwift Hub? [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information.

" I wouldn't swap my Wahoo kickr for any of the entry level trainers even if the entry level are good enough."

This is my biggest concern. I do 85% to 90% of my riding indoors (I have small kids). I'm worried the Zwift Hub is 'good enough' but might not last long-term. Granted having to buy two Zwift hubs is the same as one Kickr. But still a PIA.

"One thing I would double check if I were you is if Wahoo can offer you a discount based on the fact that you're a past customer."

I did try this with support, with sales, and I even filed a complaint with BBB to see if I could tickle out a discount from HQ. I thought that a small discount was fair since I bought it August 2018. I would expect a trainer to last longer than 10,900 miles. But my BBB complaint when ignored and BBB closed it.

Now I just hope my trainer lasts until Black Friday. Maybe a deal will come.

Quote | Reply
Good info. Do you notice any stability issues? I've read that out of the saddle sprints can be sketchy on the Hub. Some are even securing the trainer to the floor.

You don't notice the 5lb different in the flywheel either?

Thanks again. Good to hear actual user feedback.

Quote | Reply
I notice it being a little unstable in sprints, but it's been long enough since I've ridden the Wahoo that it's hard to compare that specific aspect (same with flywheel weight). I certainly don't feel like I can't sprint on the Hub. I also think anything that's fixed like that will feel awkward in an all out sprint as compared to the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a couple generations of the kickr, the original hammer, and the zwift hub. Don't train a ton inside, but from the riding I've done on it, I think it's solid. I kind of want a wahoo rollr for the free rear wheel, outside of that I see no reason to buy a more expensive trainer, the hub works fine.

I see you mention in other posts being concerned about sprinting. Unless zwift racing is a big part of your training, I wouldn't sprint on a trainer anyway. The fixed bike means you can't really sprint properly, and if you put out enough power, there isn't a trainer out there that will hold you back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Per Wahoo, my V3 Kickr is terminally ill. They no longer support my version and said it could stop working at any moment. She makes a nasty sound while using and you can see the cassette wobble a little. But still works. Apparently the ratchet ring broke.

So now I’m in the market for a new smart trainer. Was thinking of the Kickr Move but had a rocker plate before. Didn’t really add anything for me.

The Zwift Hub is half the price of the Kickr. I looked at all the comparisons. Watched the YouTube videos from Smart Trainer guy.

Would like some real user feedback though. Anybody make this change? Is it that big of a difference or will I not really notice? The cost of the Kickr v6 is not an issue, I just don’t want to spend that extra money if it doesn’t really add much value.

For context, I do about 3,000 miles a year on Zwift.

Thanks.

I had a Kickr core that died and I replaced it with the Zwift Hub for the same reason you’re considering— I just didn’t see why I should spend the extra money given the positive reviews.

I’d say I slightly prefer the feel of the Wahoo, but I have no complaints about the Hub in terms of performance. In a blind test, I’m not sure I could tell the difference between the two.

The Hub is less stable— I’m a little cautious getting on it, or at least I was at first; now I don’t even think about it. I don’t do sprints and so I can’t say what that would be like. I’ve never felt it was unstable while I was on it. It’s a lot easier to move when we have guests and I have to clear out the pain cave and reconvert it to a guest bedroom.

I did find that it measures power differently. I have Assioma Favero pedals and the Kickr used to read 8-10 watts higher than the AFs at around 200W. The Hub reads 8-10 watts lower, so that was a bit of an adjustment in terms of doing TrainerRoad workouts. I had to lower my FTP setting.

FWIW, I train for 70.3 and full distance races and 95% of my training is indoors in ERG on TrainerRoad. I do a lot of hard intervals, but nothing like a sprint in a Zwift race. I’m maxing out in the low 300w range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still on my Kickr V1 - I ride it several times a week, and it refuses to die on me!
Quote Reply