Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anybody riding a disc and 80 front all the time [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I've also finally hit that inflection point in life where I actually have real disposable income.
If you have kids, just know this feeling is temporary. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody riding a disc and 80 front all the time [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
lightheir wrote:
I've also finally hit that inflection point in life where I actually have real disposable income.

AAAggh! You're right! Freaking kid!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Yes, I'll admit that nowadays, being 45+, even though I'm trying to absolutely squeeze out what performance I can get from my schedule and life without imbalancing it all, the fun factor is a near-top priority. I no longer intentionally do suckfest workouts like 2 hrs on a trainer staring at a wall, or running in the dark and cold late at night or ridiculously early in the morning.

And if I'm having a good time, I'll screw up whatever workout I have planned to enjoy it! (Doesn't happen too often.)

I've also finally hit that inflection point in life where I actually have real disposable income. Felt like it literally would never happen, but I guess if you work hard, save as much as possible, it'll all work out eventually. So I am definitely going to use the nice stuff I buy.
We're the same place in life, apparently.

I'm 33...and FWIW, I've been using the fine china (carbon wheels) since before a hint of disposable income existed. At first I felt/thought I was stupid/risky/flaunting for doing so. Several crashes, and years riding in the muck of the PNW later, I've realized that the carbon wheels are some of the least likely things to be damaged in a crash and wear out at a far lower rate than virtually any other component of the bike.

Hence, I've gotten rid of all non-race-quality wheels. I ride 808's every day. My wife does the same. Or 808+disc on TT bike. Michelle has ridden probably 20000 miles on her Zipp 858 rear and it's in great condition. (I'd have purchased an 808 if I had to choose again.)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody riding a disc and 80 front all the time [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Don't worry that feeling comes back when the kids get old enough!!! Then all you have to do is work and work out !!!

Back to OP, 100% agree on fun factor in all workouts. I won't do any workouts that I am not enjoying because of some quest for performance! I am trying to figure out which TT bike to buy to give me that speed set up enjoyment. I am on the same TT bike that Chrissie Wellington and Mirinda Carfrae used to win Kona, so when its dressed up with race wheels its "fast enough" (for my ability), but yeah, why not get something faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Yes, I'll admit that nowadays, being 45+, even though I'm trying to absolutely squeeze out what performance I can get from my schedule and life without imbalancing it all, the fun factor is a near-top priority. I no longer intentionally do suckfest workouts like 2 hrs on a trainer staring at a wall, or running in the dark and cold late at night or ridiculously early in the morning.

And if I'm having a good time, I'll screw up whatever workout I have planned to enjoy it! (Doesn't happen too often.)

I've also finally hit that inflection point in life where I actually have real disposable income. Felt like it literally would never happen, but I guess if you work hard, save as much as possible, it'll all work out eventually. So I am definitely going to use the nice stuff I buy. Here in Norcal, there's nothing weird on weekend rides with using full TT gear. In fact, if you're a decently fast triathlete, it looks appropriate as you'll be blowing by 99% of everyone out there often at twice their speed, so might as well look good while doing it!

This is one of the key point, if it’s just casual training/competitions It’s ok to do a tri on a Road bike with box rims if that’s your budget (wether it being lack of funds or a priority of other things in life). You Will go faster on a modern tri bike with a disc and deep section front wheel than on a 10 year old Road bike, given you’ve actually trained it. Which brings my to my point, yes deeper front and a rear disc (or even a front disc) is better/faster if you Can handle it. It’s all about practice on the Road. The first time I sat in the clip-ons on a Road bike, I was scared to death about the feeling of having no control. It comes with pratice, But it has much less to do with the depth of the rims than your bike handling skills and the confidence that you won’t crash. 40-60mm depth is marginal differen, the same with 60-80mm. I mostly ride my Road bike and feel far more confident on that with 90/90mm setup than a tri bike with box rims. My point is, it might be worth it to actually put in some bike handling drills in the aero bars to gain time. That said, control Will never be the same as on a Road bar, But in time it gets easier. If a Pro Can do a certain corner in the aero bars, then in theory I Can do the same, if I trust the tires. It about skill and confidence to handle a bike
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody riding a disc and 80 front all the time [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What brand name extender do you recommend? I ask because don't some extenders require you to remove the valve from the tube?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody riding a disc and 80 front all the time [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My agent in Taiwan has a machine shop make a few thousand at a time for me, so I guess they are my brand.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody riding a disc and 80 front all the time [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody riding a disc and 80 front all the time [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you like me to send you a few?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply

Prev Next