Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any love for TPU tubes ?
Quote | Reply
Any love for TPU tubes ?
I hAvnt seem anything on here about them
They seem to test well against latex and supposedly have better puncture resistance and ease of installation

Anyone used them over a period of time ?

I’m going from useing tubulars for 20 years to clinchers on a new bike so trying to get the best all round solution for race day
Cheers
Last edited by: ironpo: Nov 4, 23 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [ironpo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've switched completely from latex.
Just as fast but way lighter and they hold air for a lot longer.
Not sure about the puncture resistance, but maybe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m off and on with them versus latex. When you get them installed properly (no punches, twists or wrinkles, they’re great. But get them installed wrong and they’re a problem.

The biggest complaint I have with them is I can’t find them with extended length valves and, while I use extensions, I’m not a fan of them because they can also leak.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latex is faster, so that’s what I run for races. I have the tpu tubes in my flat kit since they are lighter (one of the best $/g you can get) and pack smaller.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Revoloop has 80mm valves.

I've used the Aerothan with extenders since they launched and haven't had a leak so far. They're also 40mm, which might be the shortest valve available. Great for chuck access on disc wheels.

For my road bike I've switched to tubeless and use TPU as a spare, since it's so compact. For tri, I use TPU because I only ride that bike outside a few times a year and it's not worth the tubeless hassle.
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be extremely sensitive to notice the RR difference between the fastest latex tube and the fastest TPU tube. Because they are within a small fraction of a watt.

To the OP, I switched to TPU from latex, and I'm not looking back. Easier to install, keep as much as butyl and they seem to be more puncture resistant that latex. However, they are more difficult to repair, do once your puncture, you are likely to throw away the tube.
Last edited by: ecce-homo: Nov 5, 23 1:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Ive been using them. Other than better pressure retention I can’t tell the difference. I don’t repair tubes. It narrows the possibility of the patch letting go. Patches have almost never failed. With in my 50 years plus of cycling I have had a few fail.
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aerothan with 100 mm valves have been reported in a ST thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I started racing olympic distance, I added a flat kit and got some TPU tubes. As others have said, TPU tubes are super light, pack small, so Ideal for the flat kit. I got a flat on my trainer, so I thought that I'd practice the TPU install there and maybe discover in the pain cave something I could avoid or prevent when trying to install a TPU during a race. I have butyl in all my non-race wheels and latex in race wheels. The TPU install was more 'fiddly' that even latex. If you haven't held a TPU tube, they are way more slick than latex and I found that getting the tube positioned in the tire to be a little trickier because it would move around. The TPU tube is also lighter/thinner and that seems to contribute to the added difficulty of getting it in place. Maybe putting a little air inside would be helpful - provide a little 'structure'. Inflation with a CO2 cartridge was fine/normal. Overall, I'll keep the TPU tube in the flat kit (over a latex tube) mostly b/c of the better packability.

IME, the air retention is really not that much better than latex. In practice, it needs topping of every day - maybe the latex tube loses more per day, but the TPU tube loses enough to require topping off. So, I don't see an advantage here under most circumstances - if I'm going to pump up before every use, maybe the latex tube needs an extra pump or two - but the big time waster is getting the pump, hooking it up, taking it off, putting it to the side. Same for TPU and latex.

Bottom line - if you're going to depend on a TPU tube in a race flat kit, I'd recommend buying a 2nd and practicing the install. My 1st install was way longer than a normal latex install, but I think that I learned enough to make the next TPU install much faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are valve extenders leaking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as others have said, it's a massive winner for pack size. my tiny saddlebag can now carry two tubes, levers, and two CO2 cartridges.

i've them variously on MTB, gravel, and road and been happy. depending on your setup the amount of weight they can save from your rim is astonishing.

i did have some issues with quality control, though - i had one or two that just leaked straight out of the box, and turned out to be riddled with holes - totally unpatchable. in many years of cheap butyl tubes i'd never seen that.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. since it's beginning I'm using Aerothan .. with 50.000km+ in the books and some rolling PRs in my 50ties no way back to Butyl .. did never try Latex .. air loss during long day rides is not my way ..

• they are immediately noticeable faster than any Butyl ..
• they keep air two days ..
• they pack pretty small ..
• they are more forgiving hitting edges ..
• they mount like I mounted tubes the last 40 years ..
• their valve neck is plastic, too and schooled my precision on feeling for extension threads ..
• the original Schwalbe patch brings you home and will likely only feel off over night ..
• they never should get pumped 8% over mounting volume ..
• the finding of a puncture needs absolute silence and some spit ..
• they sound sensational deep space sonic with Vittorias on Jet6 Blacks ..

.. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Nov 5, 23 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a specific brand that -most- people go with (aside from the one mentioned here already)?
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. here in Germany Tubolito .. my colleague in the LBS uses them .. we score a damage board .. he is on top .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
You must be extremely sensitive to notice the RR difference between the fastest latex tube and the fastest TPU tube. Because they are within a small fraction of a watt.

To the OP, I switched to TPU from latex, and I'm not looking back. Easier to install, keep as much as butyl and they seem to be more puncture resistant that latex. However, they are more difficult to repair, do once your puncture, you are likely to throw away the tube.

Here's a link to the data: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...es#tpu-tubes-average

I'm sticking w/latex since it is faster (even marginally), and the wide variability (from almost as good as latex to worse than some butyl) in the TPU tube results gives me a bit of pause.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have stuck with latex over TPU because the latex tubes are cheaper and the patches are basically free once you have one destroyed latex tube. That said, I went tubeless, for better or worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. thanks for the link .. checking the “off the bike while riding time“ from that list .. my choice stays for no podium at the damage list and for rim brakes ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the CYCLAMI ones for around 6 months now. No issues, flats, etc. at all. Much lighter than butyl but needs to be pumped up more often. It's not important for me as I pump my tires before every ride anyways.

Also, they're very cheap from AliExpress, around $5.50 each including patch kits. You can also get them on Amazon for a bit more.
Last edited by: rhdevries: Nov 5, 23 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [rhdevries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the valve cores removable for extenders?
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

No, I don't think they are. They do come in various valve lengths, though, 45-80mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [rhdevries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhdevries wrote:
lightheir wrote:

No, I don't think they are. They do come in various valve lengths, though, 45-80mm.

tubolito at least are removable, at least the ones i have...
however with the plastic valve stems that are common across TPU tubes (where a lot of the wieght saving comes from) i've found you have to be really careful with screwing on an extender, otherwise you crack the plastic stem - probably why someone else was commenting on pressure loss using extenders - there is at best a fine line between tight enough not to leak and so tight it cracks the stem
Quote Reply
Re: Any love for TPU tubes ? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of Revoloop Ultra. They hold air like light butyl and their patches work really well. Peel and stick. Never came undone or leaked.
Quote Reply