Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo)
Quote | Reply
So today I did a standard triathlon, thought i'd document everything here to be (knowing you lot) brutally insulted. However, there is always a gem in the strings of insults :)

40km top time a few weeks ago was 1:20, 21km run is 2 hours and swim 1.9k is 34mins.

FTP is 196watts for 20mins

80kg

178cm

Yesterday
no exercise
Dinner: Butter Chicken and naan
Carbs 202g
Fat 57.7g
Protein 81.8g

Today
Breakfast 7:45am
Cocopops, milk and up and go
Carbs 78
Fat 13.3
Protein 18.4g

Swim 1500m
25m pool
28:06
Got out like I had done a warm up, toweled off and jogged to my bike

Cycle 40km
Everything set up the same as Taupo bar one thing. I had my backpack on the trip. Just meant having to stop to have a banana

Nutrition
Every 30mins 120g Banana
Carbs 24.3
fat 0.4
protein 1.3g

Every 10mins a large drink from powerade zero calorie drink
[picture 2]

8.8% climb half way through was a lol moment, otherwise it was flat.

[picture 3]

normalized power was 152

[picture 4]

[picture 5]

Run 10km
this felt great for 5km. I trialled the run walk approach, walking for 1min every 2km but past 5km.... I started walking ALOT.

nutrition was gells and I HATE THEM. need a crap load of water. wheres my sugar coke

[picture 6]
[picture 7]

Reflection

it's 14min faster than last year. So thats a positive.

my foot blistered up on the 4th km of the run. Need to use something to stop that and find a fuel

I used music on the run and I went toooooo fast at the start

I was thinking I went too slow until the last 3km

Ended up on 3hr 1min. It should have been faster but I am happy

I think 130-140 watts is about right for Taupo. It feels super slow, but It'll be less risky for running.

anything else?
Last edited by: Bonmaklad: Nov 23, 19 20:53
Quote Reply
Re: Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo) [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

[picture 2]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

[picture 3]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

[picture 4]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

[picture 5]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Music on the run?
Quote Reply
Re: Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, yes, I had my headphones with music. I've been told I can't in taupo 🎶🎶😔
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, headphones are a bit of a safety nightmare for cycling and running I'm afraid...

First off, nice work! It takes a lot of courage to toe the line for any tri distance, and Taupo 70.3 isn't the easiest one in the world to do. Deciding to do it and the training building up to it is the hardest part.

As for what to do between now and then - if you have a coach, following their advice is a pretty good starting point. If not, that's ok! Don't do anything 'heroic' between now and then, it's not really going to help you prep any more for the race. Keep everything ticking over, enjoy your swim, bike, and running, and start to ease off a bit as you get closer and closer to the race!

I'll see you on the start line, best of luck! Flick me a message on fb/insta if you want any advice/tips on the course/general positive messages leading into race day
Quote Reply
Re: Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo) [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaredhartshorn wrote:
Yeah, headphones are a bit of a safety nightmare for cycling and running I'm afraid...

First off, nice work! It takes a lot of courage to toe the line for any tri distance, and Taupo 70.3 isn't the easiest one in the world to do. Deciding to do it and the training building up to it is the hardest part.

As for what to do between now and then - if you have a coach, following their advice is a pretty good starting point. If not, that's ok! Don't do anything 'heroic' between now and then, it's not really going to help you prep any more for the race. Keep everything ticking over, enjoy your swim, bike, and running, and start to ease off a bit as you get closer and closer to the race!

I'll see you on the start line, best of luck! Flick me a message on fb/insta if you want any advice/tips on the course/general positive messages leading into race day

Thanks dude, following you 😊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No sweat! Forgot to mention, practising transitions are pretty good time-savers especially over longer distance races. Just general stuff ie getting out of a wetsuit, getting on the bike, getting off the bike, putting socks/shoes on - having an idea of how to do this stuff with muscle memory/not having to think too much about it (even if it seems really straightforward!) can help a heck of a lot on race day & save you a bunch of stress and time. Doesn't take much, maybe 30 minutes in the garage watching a youtube vid on how to take a wetsuit off and then giving it a go a few times + repeating for the bike and run is pretty helpful
Quote Reply
Re: Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo) [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaredhartshorn wrote:
No sweat! Forgot to mention, practising transitions are pretty good time-savers especially over longer distance races. Just general stuff ie getting out of a wetsuit, getting on the bike, getting off the bike, putting socks/shoes on - having an idea of how to do this stuff with muscle memory/not having to think too much about it (even if it seems really straightforward!) can help a heck of a lot on race day & save you a bunch of stress and time. Doesn't take much, maybe 30 minutes in the garage watching a youtube vid on how to take a wetsuit off and then giving it a go a few times + repeating for the bike and run is pretty helpful

My total transitions last year were 15mins 😂😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not eating enough in the race. Priority for the next two weeks would be to find things that are palatable.
SIS gels might be easier as they have more liquid in them.
If you're not able to find food that you can handle then you need to switch to a drink with energy in it.

OTOH the meal the night before may have been overdoing it a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your ftp number what you did for the 20 mins or the FTP calculated after the 20 mins test?
If it’s the first (what I guess) then you have to take 5% off, which puts you at an estimated FTP of 186 watts (for an hour)
From their you start to pace your bike, which shows you went by ~80% of your FTP at 152 NP, that can work but it’s not a must, depending on fitness. There are pacing charts in in the web that might help.

Second, if you are able to run 2 hours then pace like that (just a little faster if you wanna walk the aidstation) from those numbers on. Let’s say 5:35-5:40/km from start on. If you feel fresh with the last 5 to go you can push it a little.
To go out to fast 45 mins into the race can give you a really hard time after 4,5 hrs (but probably earlier).
Be patient and honest to yourself to make sure to enjoy the race. (I guess you’ll travel far to get there so you really wanna enjoy it)

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Nov 24, 19 1:54
Quote Reply
Re: Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo) [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
You're not eating enough in the race. Priority for the next two weeks would be to find things that are palatable.
SIS gels might be easier as they have more liquid in them.
If you're not able to find food that you can handle then you need to switch to a drink with energy in it.

OTOH the meal the night before may have been overdoing it a bit.

OK, I have to admit. I never used to eat during excercise

I shall drop from 200g carbs to 150g? Apart from curries, I don't see how people eat carbs with no fat... (I'm used to eating 60% fat lol)

As for the race. That's about 50g carbs? An hour? I guess that's a little low now I say it out loud.

A banana every 15mins seems like a lot of bananas. I'll find some sugar. Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo) [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
Is your ftp number what you did for the 20 mins or the FTP calculated after the 20 mins test?
If it’s the first (what I guess) then you have to take 5% off, which puts you at an estimated FTP of 186 watts (for an hour)
From their you start to pace your bike, which shows you went by ~80% of your FTP at 152 NP, that can work but it’s not a must, depending on fitness. There are pacing charts in in the web that might help.

Second, if you are able to run 2 hours then pace like that (just a little faster if you wanna walk the aidstation) from those numbers on. Let’s say 5:35-5:40/km from start on. If you feel fresh with the last 5 to go you can push it a little.
To go out to fast 45 mins into the race can give you a really hard time after 4,5 hrs (but probably earlier).
Be patient and honest to yourself to make sure to enjoy the race. (I guess you’ll travel far to get there so you really wanna enjoy it)

Yeah, I was planning 6min kms... I was just just uber excited this morning 😂

Hmmmmm so my ftp is actually 186. That means more like 130 to 140 not 140 to 150.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever tried clif bars?
First races I used to have 1 per hour (chopped them in thirds and ate every 20 mins) worked well for the bike.
For the run I like high5 cause it’s more liquid.
Over thumb try to get 300 calories per hour to get fueled. You’ll burn about 600 so you’ll need to get something in.
But it’s risky to try something new right that time.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only advice will be to be keep the pacing and nutrition on race day with what you used for training. I'm excited to see someone post on this event as I too plan to be there. My concern is weather and water temp as I will be racing with no heat acclimatization. What do you expect water and air temps to be on race day?
Quote Reply
Re: Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo) [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the risk of hijacking the thread. I completely understand that life can mean you don't get long at a race destination and you might not have heat where you live at the moment. But have you thought about all the possible methods of heat acclimatization? If you haven't tried a sauna after training or training in layers specifically to get the same effect then you'd want to do it conservatively. But from everything I've read even a small amount of this stuff benefits you.

I'm pretty sure the OP is doing quite a bit of it.
Last edited by: OddSlug: Nov 24, 19 7:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
My only advice will be to be keep the pacing and nutrition on race day with what you used for training. I'm excited to see someone post on this event as I too plan to be there. My concern is weather and water temp as I will be racing with no heat acclimatization. What do you expect water and air temps to be on race day?
I'm not racing but grew up in NZ and spent a lot of time in Taupo. Water will be very cold even with a wetsuit expect cold - make sure u preswim it days before to get used to it and also warm up on the day.

NZ weather is very varied could be quite warm or quite chilly depending on wind, one thing if its a southerly or souwester it will be cold and possibly even jacket level on the bike, unlikely but check the forecast. Sun is crazily uv bright in NZ loads of sunscreen plus hat. I would bother with heat acclimation this close but I live in Thailand where we race in actual heat (35-38c) so nz is milder.

For OP u got this, on the bike if u can't figure out how to stack enough carbs consider some ucan in your drink mix and consider things like skinned mashed potato and kumara in a small zip lock bag tastes good and u can one portion every hour along with gels, waffles, chews and whatever else - slightly more dense and very easy to eat compared to disgusting gel. Note that last 10km of the bike I personally don't eat anything solid and on run also stick to gels and liquid but maybe u can enjoy some banana or something if u find it is OK to digest - gel u can wash down with water but some are way too sticky eg GU brand try a few different ones and some more liquid ones maybe better.

Curry no comment - not my suggestion but maybe OK for u if u r used to it.

Electrolytes in your fluids and enjoy the race
Quote Reply
Re: Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo) [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! I'll pack for wet and cool conditions, if needed, and be taking my brand new full 5mm suit for what sounds like a brisk swim. Looking forward to experiencing this part of the world!
Quote Reply
Re: Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo) [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
Have you ever tried clif bars?
First races I used to have 1 per hour (chopped them in thirds and ate every 20 mins) worked well for the bike.
For the run I like high5 cause it’s more liquid.
Over thumb try to get 300 calories per hour to get fueled. You’ll burn about 600 so you’ll need to get something in.
But it’s risky to try something new right that time.

I like cliff bars. Used to have a peanut one given to us after addidas runs. I shall go find one to trial

My tummy is quite solid tbh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:

Bring sunscreen. I had blisters on my back last year

Taupo in early summer will be warm and bright normally. Normally low humidity

Water I barely noticed temp last year. Cold but not shock horror cold
Quote Reply
Re: Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo) [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
At the risk of hijacking the thread. I completely understand that life can mean you don't get long at a race destination and you might not have heat where you live at the moment. But have you thought about all the possible methods of heat acclimatization? If you haven't tried a sauna after training or training in layers specifically to get the same effect then you'd want to do it conservatively. But from everything I've read even a small amount of this stuff benefits you.

I'm pretty sure the OP is doing quite a bit of it.

Funny enough yes. I'm a newbie but take trying to replicate conditions as seriously as 8 can.

I train 80% in the gym which is far warmer than outside. I use sauna every time after a session.

I'm a b plus runner in winter. In summer I have a lot of problems. This year I feel I'm much more accustomed to heat

It does help I live in new zealand thou
Quote Reply
Re: Any last minute advice? (2 weeks till Taupo) [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kipstar wrote:
TJ56 wrote:
I'm not racing but grew up in NZ and spent a lot of time in Taupo. Water will be very cold even with a wetsuit expect cold - make sure u preswim it days before to get used to it and also warm up on the day.

NZ weather is very varied could be quite warm or quite chilly depending on wind, one thing if its a southerly or souwester it will be cold and possibly even jacket level on the bike, unlikely but check the forecast. Sun is crazily uv bright in NZ loads of sunscreen plus hat. I would bother with heat acclimation this close but I live in Thailand where we race in actual heat (35-38c) so nz is milder.

For OP u got this, on the bike if u can't figure out how to stack enough carbs consider some ucan in your drink mix and consider things like skinned mashed potato and kumara in a small zip lock bag tastes good and u can one portion every hour along with gels, waffles, chews and whatever else - slightly more dense and very easy to eat compared to disgusting gel. Note that last 10km of the bike I personally don't eat anything solid and on run also stick to gels and liquid but maybe u can enjoy some banana or something if u find it is OK to digest - gel u can wash down with water but some are way too sticky eg GU brand try a few different ones and some more liquid ones maybe better.

Curry no comment - not my suggestion but maybe OK for u if u r used to it.

Electrolytes in your fluids and enjoy the race

Thanks dude, yeah, I'm going to trial kumara! Did roast potatoes on a 90km ride and loved them..... But I chocked twice and I can just image dying due to a potato...

What would u eat the night before?
Quote Reply

Prev Next