Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any feedback on Bontagter Aeolus 5 tlr?
Quote | Reply
Trying to choose between Zipp 404 nsw and Bontrager Aeolus 5 tlr. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Any feedback on Bontagter Aeolus 5 tlr? [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own the Bontrager aeolus 9 tlr & have ridden zipp firecrest 808 onthe same bike, same pads. Zipps win hand down in the ease of braking category.
Quote Reply
Re: Any feedback on Bontagter Aeolus 5 tlr? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about acceleration? Speed? Weight etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
How about acceleration? Speed? Weight etc?

You are splitting hairs in that department but braking is one area that may differentiate. I am not fan of the Aeolus brake tracks myself.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Any feedback on Bontagter Aeolus 5 tlr? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new XXX version has the same brake track treatment now: http://trek.scene7.com/...s_XXX_Whitepaper.pdf

So its down to preference and price. I like the Bontrager warranty and service, so I would go with the new XXX 4's
Quote Reply
Re: Any feedback on Bontagter Aeolus 5 tlr? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wonder if they come out in 9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
The new XXX version has the same brake track treatment now: http://trek.scene7.com/...s_XXX_Whitepaper.pdf

So its down to preference and price. I like the Bontrager warranty and service, so I would go with the new XXX 4's

Their new laser treatment sounds interesting and I hope at some point I can test it out but I am always skeptical of claims against aluminum. The aluminum comparison is old too because if you really want braking you can pay the premium for the HED JET+ blacks with the etched brake track. That brake track is amazing and Jim has said the HED wheel is pretty resilient to changes in tire and tire size in terms of aerodynamics. If you get the XXX on the bike that is one thing but if purchasing off the shelf I would still rather take the Zipp NSW. It is interesting that Bontrager moved on par with HED and Specialized to 21mm internal diameter.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Apr 4, 18 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only some of the Zipp's are tubeless though right? I am riding road tubeless so Bontrager and HED are better choices IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The NSW is out of my price range. I'm looking at firecrest 404s or the Bontragers. Thoughts? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
Thanks. The NSW is out of my price range. I'm looking at firecrest 404s or the Bontragers. Thoughts? Thanks.

I have recommended time and time again just going with aluminum clinchers like the HED JET+ series. If I had to pick between the 404s and Bontragers, 404s.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're concerned about price, I'd look at Flo. I think I'd pick them regardless of price to be honest, either their aluminum/carbon rim or their carbon clinchers
Quote Reply
Re: Any feedback on Bontagter Aeolus 5 tlr? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having owned multiple sets of HEDs, Zipps and Bontragers (what? Don't judge- I have my wheel buying problem mostly under control)- Bontragers, especially over 404's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Having owned multiple sets of HEDs, Zipps and Bontragers (what? Don't judge- I have my wheel buying problem mostly under control)- Bontragers, especially over 404's.

Why Bontrager over HED? I'm currently on the old Aeolus 7.9 D3 (before TLR) and want to upgrade. I was circling around getting the HED Jet Black.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if the wheel that came in my Madone 9.0 is the Aeolus 5 tlr.
I know that is Aeolus 5...not sure if it is tlr.

If it is the same....don't forget to remove these wheels when you wash your bike.
Water get inside the rim and to remove the water, you have to take the tire and tape out. Fu*king headache.

I saw in other forums, that is a aerodynamic problem....and this happen to everybody.
Quote Reply
Re: Any feedback on Bontagter Aeolus 5 tlr? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
elf6c wrote:

Why Bontrager over HED? I'm currently on the old Aeolus 7.9 D3 (before TLR) and want to upgrade. I was circling around getting the HED Jet Black.

If you want braking power the HED JET+ Black are it but they too are pricey. It looks like Bontrager understands their braking was sub-par and is trying to market that with their new XXX line. I haven't had a chance to ride a set though but like they went even wider to 21mm ID.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
elf6c wrote:

If you want braking power the HED JET+ Black are it but they too are pricey. It looks like Bontrager understands their braking was sub-par and is trying to market that with their new XXX line. I haven't had a chance to ride a set though but like they went even wider to 21mm ID.

I pretty much haven't done anything all day today at work... just researching wheels. I'm pretty sure I'm going Hed Jet Black 6/disc.I love the wider profile and honestly, I have a hard time believing the braking power on the XXX is the same. Great improvement from what I'm running now, sure but I'd much rather have aluminum unless I'm losing real world time in aerodynamics.. which my n=1 is everyone is splitting hairs between wheels at a certain point. And knowing that I get an aluminum brake track (with eye fooling black track), wide profile for comfort, light, cheaper, made in the US... win win.

Honestly, I'm just having a hard time finding anywhere online with a real reason to buy ANYTHING else. Seriously, that's all I've been looking for and I can't find enough to justify looking elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like a full carbon tubeless rim, and I prefer Bontrager's service and warranty. I especially like the pairing of the TLR rim and tire for my tubeless set-ups, as the roads can be rough here and high speed square edged hits at race pace are not uncommon. I have a mix of 5/7 front/rear and a 9/9 to pick from.

But HED is a solid company and wheel, no doubt. I doubt you would regret a JET Black.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This belongs to the "not helpful" department, I have the Bontrager Aeolus 5 D3 TLR and a 404 Firestrike, and for the life of me, I can't tell much of a difference. The only thing that really differentiates them is the Aeolus is tubeless and I run Schwalbe Pro One on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
elf6c wrote:

I pretty much haven't done anything all day today at work... just researching wheels. I'm pretty sure I'm going Hed Jet Black 6/disc.I love the wider profile and honestly, I have a hard time believing the braking power on the XXX is the same. Great improvement from what I'm running now, sure but I'd much rather have aluminum unless I'm losing real world time in aerodynamics.. which my n=1 is everyone is splitting hairs between wheels at a certain point. And knowing that I get an aluminum brake track (with eye fooling black track), wide profile for comfort, light, cheaper, made in the US... win win.

Honestly, I'm just having a hard time finding anywhere online with a real reason to buy ANYTHING else. Seriously, that's all I've been looking for and I can't find enough to justify looking elsewhere.

You have convinced me I need to write something about Super 9 and HED JET+ Disc and why I prefer that setup. I can't see any reason to go with a Super 9 other than you can get the Super 9 about 75 grams lighter than the HED JET+ Disc

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
You have convinced me I need to write something about Super 9 and HED JET+ Disc and why I prefer that setup. I can't see any reason to go with a Super 9 other than you can get the Super 9 about 75 grams lighter than the HED JET+ Disc

You should include whether or not using a disc AT ALL is "really" worth it. Considering Best Bike Split details a 20-30 seconds saving over an entire 112 mile Ironman by going from 90 to Disc... a lot of people would be hard pressed to have both wheels in their garage. I know I have for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I pretty much haven't done anything all day today at work... just researching wheels. I'm pretty sure I'm going Hed Jet Black 6/disc.

Well there's always Jet 9/disc :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Any feedback on Bontagter Aeolus 5 tlr? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

I pretty much haven't done anything all day today at work... just researching wheels. I'm pretty sure I'm going Hed Jet Black 6/disc.

Well there's always Jet 9/disc :-)

Oh... don't think for one second that I'm not contemplating it but (backdoor brag) I just did Kona and I don't think running a 9 would be smart if I go back.I'd rather feel confident that I'm holding line with a 6.. just look at Wurf... He knew what he was doing. Sanders on the other hand ran a 9 and thought he was going to die. I had an Aeolus 7 and was fine but definitely had that small jerk a couple times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Today I was browsing the Trek Site and I noticed a new wheel. The Aeolus Pro 5 TLR. According to Support is the same shape as the old Aeolus D3 but made in Asia instead of the USA. Very competitive price, (at FLO level). Weight is 1609 for the pair and the Brake track is machined. Very very tempting.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-wheels/road-bike-wheels-wheelsets/bontrager-aeolus-pro-5-tlr-road-wheel/p/22641/?colorCode=black_grey
Quote Reply
Re: Any feedback on Bontagter Aeolus 5 tlr? [UpandDown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone know if the new XXX line is going to replace the Aeolus D3 line?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the A5s and can say they are the best wheels I've owned. I've had them all; Enve, Zipp, HED etc... These wheels in particular (Aeolus 5) are fantastic. The only issue (for me) is the Zipps are easier to change a tire. Other than that the Bontragers are the same or better than anything out there.

P.s. Aeolus was a god of wind and gave Odysseus a favorable wind on his journey (just a fun fact).
Quote Reply

Prev Next