Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any alternative to the Renn Disc?
Quote | Reply
I called Renn for a 700 tubular today and was qouted 5-7 weeks for delivery. Not being the most patient of people, are there any other's in the weight/price range? The Hed is the closest I can find but is heavier and more expensive. And I'm not really into maiking my own.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Any alternative to the Renn Disc? [dennisr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
are there any other's in the weight/price range?

Wieght? Absolutely! Price? Not a chance!

Michael

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's worth the wait....patience grasshopper

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's worth the wait....patience grasshopper
While I have no experience with Renn in particular, it is my experience 5-7 weeks can easily turn into 10-14 weeks. Maybe that's what the 575 stands for 5-7 weeks.
Last edited by: dennisr: Apr 22, 04 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
While I have no experience with Renn in particular, it is my experience 5-7 weeks can easily turn into 10-14 weeks. Maybe that's what the 575 stands for 5-7 weeks.
My experience with Frank is that he's true to his word. If he's saying 5-7 weeks I'd plan on getting your wheel in that timeframe (barring any sort of circumstance out of his control, of course. Like that power outage he experienced last year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't there other retailers that sell Renn products? I swear that I saw some Renn discs last time I was at the local Bicycle Sports here. Maybe that's an option.
Quote Reply
Re: Any alternative to the Renn Disc? [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Aren't there other retailers that sell Renn products? I swear that I saw some Renn discs last time I was at the local Bicycle Sports here. Maybe that's an option.

Good idea, I got the guys at Bicycle Soprts calling around to there stores now. Hopefully the have one around somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it is in stock but - http://www.bicyclesports.com/...=1&Product_ID=12

Michael

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First renn I bought arrived exactly when Frank said it would.. (ordered a 700c tubular wheel about 2 weeks ago and have no reason to doubt he will be good on his delivery date.)

Quote | Reply
TriSports.com is getting them soon.

Give them a call to see when they will have 'em.
Quote Reply
Re: Any alternative to the Renn Disc? [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maplewood bike shop in Saint louis carries Renn disk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pay someone to make one for you. Send them a wheel and let them cover it for you for a price.

If you change your mind and later get a "real" disc you can always rip the cover off.
Quote Reply
Re: Any alternative to the Renn Disc? [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd do it for a small fee. Remember it wouldn't be as perfect as a carbon disk but it should work great.

I take pay pal :)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Any alternative to the Renn Disc? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or buy a CH Aero cover for $60

In Reply To:
I called Renn for a 700 tubular today and was qouted 5-7 weeks for delivery.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just a bit of advice. Cycling is very seasonal. I ordered during the early season and recieved my disc in the 2-week time frame as quoted.

Ordering in the midst of the busy season will lead to long lead times from most any manufactuer. Renn is a small specialty manufactuer who likely builds to order rather than risk building inventory, which may be one reason he is able offer a great product a such a reasonable price.

I know this doesn't help today but if you stay in the sport long enough, you'll find a way to do your building/purchasing in the winter months. Shop owners will love you like a brother, both for the cash flow and for not rushing them in the midst of the season. You'll get to test and fine tune new gear when you have time to make changes and not feel rushed for the events that are coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
14 replys without Cerveloguy bringing up the CH aerocover? I hope he's ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Any alternative to the Renn Disc? [greensneakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"14 replys without Cerveloguy bringing up the CH aerocover? I hope he's ok. "

hehehehehe.
Quote Reply
You know.....the Mavic Comete don't cost that much more..... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Price wise, there is no real disc wheel cheaper than a Renn. The Hed can be had though for not a lot more, or you could look at a Blackwell as a possibility (it's the Zipp disc with a cheaper hub.)
I ordered a Renn a couple weeks back, so I'm waiting too.

Say, you could order a Renn too, and then we could start a support group for people who are waiting for their wheels to start spinning. What-a-ya think?

-I luv u, I luv u, and I luv you!
Quote Reply
Re: You know.....the Mavic Comete don't cost that much more..... [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently took my new Renn 575 to my LBS to show the guys and they were very impressed with the wheel given the price. Believe me, they know wheels - the owner sold his Crono patent to Cane Creek a few years back. They actually said my Renn disc was more true (both roundness and run out) than most of the Zipp and Hed discs that go out the door.

From my point of view it can't be beat in terms of price/performance. Frank builds an excellent wheel.

Tinman
Quote Reply
Re: You know.....the Mavic Comete don't cost that much more..... [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check out bobozone.com and see if he has any

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
found the following on a classified website in BC: Date: Wed Apr 21 17:53 Comment 4630
Rob email: sadick.r@forces.gc.ca DISC Wheel for sale: Brand new Renn disc. 700c tubular rim. Never ridden. Very light, fast and aero. Shimano 9 speed complete with brand new veloflex criterium tire already glued and ready to go. $550obo. Email for pics.

price in in Canadian dollars
Quote Reply