Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any "Boost" Drinkers Out Here?
Quote | Reply
I've got a question, and, honest to god this happens to me everytime I drink a "Boost," is that I become immediately sleepy for about 2 hours. Its like taking an ambien pill. I've been using Boost for 2 years. Can't understand it. This doesn't happen when I drink any protein drink, or vitamin or chocolate. And this happens even after I wake up and have no shortage of sleep.

Can Any of you nutrition experts or doctors figure this out.

Here's a link to a page with its ingredients and information:

http://www.novartisnutrition.com/us/productDetail?id=753
Quote Reply
Re: Any "Boost" Drinkers Out Here? [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drink Boost. It doesnt make me sleepy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it like Endurox - after a long workout. It has exactly the same 4:1 ratio, vitamins, etc. I'm sure it has a very high Glycemic score - not a problem when you are taking it immediately after exercise. But, you could be getting a sugar spike and then subsequent crash.

___

"It is better to just strike a straight blow with a crooked stick than to spend your whole life trying to straighten the damn thing out!" (Bill Oncken)
Last edited by: jasinsf: Jan 6, 05 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: Any "Boost" Drinkers Out Here? [jasinsf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right. No problem right after a race. Its bizarre.

BTW, I miss the small, aluminum cans, they use to be in .
Last edited by: boothrand: Jan 6, 05 16:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a nutritionist by any means, but the way it was explained to me is there is a glycogen window immediately after and up to 2 hours after a long effort. The body is basically allowing the sugar in the bloodstream to go directly into replenishing the muscles. Other than during this window, the normal body response to a spike in blood sugar would be to dump insulin into the bloodstream which lowers blood sugar, causing drowsiness.

I try to avoid highly refined sugars for this reason (except during and after long efforts).

_

"It is better to just strike a straight blow with a crooked stick than to spend your whole life trying to straighten the damn thing out!" (Bill Oncken)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. I still get the cans in a 24-can case at my local wholesale club for $21 or so. Best way to get ~250 kCal back in a hurry.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply