Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another tragic death
Quote | Reply
Today was the inaugural ride for the Winter Bike League of the Upstate area of South Carolina ... departing from a popular triathlon shop in Greenville. Approximately 60 riders struck out on the 75 mile route under chilly, grey skies. Approximately 59 riders arrived back at the finish in a cold rain.

Phil Whitman was 61 years old and had been a cyclist for 30 years. This summer, he won the South Carolina state TT championship in his age group. Apparently, the pace got pretty quick today as weather conditions deteriorated. The large group of riders began to break up, but Phil was hanging on at the front with the Cat. 2 and masters guys.

It was reported to me that the EMT said Phil was probably dead before he hit the ground. He apparently suffered a heart attack on his bike. When he went down, he took out a handful of riders who sustained minor injuries. The incident happened near the most remote part of the route and it took EMTs a long time to respond. CPR was administered by a medical student who was along on the ride.

I was not on this ride and I don't know Phil. Maybe some of you do. What a sad story. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: Another tragic death [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your friend Phil. This is very sad.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country" JFK - Replace 'country' with the company you work for, friends, family, and strangers and the world will be a much better place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Condolences to his family and friends.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As always, sad news...

I mean absolutely no disrespect, though, when I say that I hope I'm so lucky to go out doing something I love.

Rest in peace, Phil.
Quote Reply
Re: Another tragic death [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to be too crass, but I agree with you 100%. As selfish as it may sound, my idea of the "perfect" death would be crossing the finishing line for my PR and drop dead. Not looking to rush the situation, but......

A sad situation for the man's family, but from my perspective, he was doing something he loved when he passed. If I can only be so lucky!

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply