Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another New Bike Question
Quote | Reply
New to these forums so firstly hello!!
Have been reading these forums for a while and have found a lot of useful info.
So I’m basically after some feedback as what direction I should go in regards to bike purchase. I have currently just signed up to do my first HIM (Busselton Aus) next May.
I have participated in a few triathlons in the past, mostly enticer or sprint distance but wanted to set myself a challenge. My aim will be to just complete the race without any time goals set.
I have done a couple of rides in the past 3-4 weeks ( as well as some other training for the other disciplines ) slowly building up to start a 27 week program I have for the lead up to the event.
At the moment I have a stock 2005 Cannondale CAAD8 with a pair of clip on tri bars that I use and judging from the past few weeks rides, sit on about 18Mph on a 1 and a half to two hour ride.
I understand that speed will increase naturally as I begin to do some proper training but I intend to buy a new bike in a few months to train and race on. My budget will be about $5000-6000 AUS total spend on the bike and I intend to get a fit test done prior to determine which frames suit. Hope to use the bike for the next say 5 years.
My question is would I be better off buying something like a Felt Ia4/Cervelo P3 Ui2/BMC TM01/Fugi Norcom Straight 1.3 and ride stock (upgrade wheels later down the track) or buy something like a Cervelo P2/Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1/ Shiv Expert/ Felt DA4/Scott Plasma 20 and upgrade the wheels straight away??
Quote Reply
Re: Another New Bike Question [Scotty81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say buy the best bike + powermeter combo that you can afford. The reason being two fold: a powermeter will make every training session that much better / more effective, and buy the best bike (component, material wise) because it's costly to upgrade, trade-in, down the road. Don't worry too much about gains from equipment upgrades until you're noticing diminishing returns on your bike fitness which will take several years (depending on your genetics).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the first option plus a wheel cover for the rear wheel (~$80) and an aero helmet. You can upgrade the front wheel later or borrow one for race day. Actually I'd get a Trek SC7.5, which you should be able to get easily in that price range (mainly because of fit options plus ease of wrenching while still being as fast as anything out there).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2. No need to spend more, and a very good case could be made to spend less. Get a plastic cover at some point. You have 6+ months to find a bargain on a front wheel. No need to be in a hurry.

Work on training and position. Use good tires and tubes, and good tight fitting clothing. Decent helmet. Done.
Quote Reply
Re: Another New Bike Question [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
P2. No need to spend more, and a very good case could be made to spend less. Get a plastic cover at some point. You have 6+ months to find a bargain on a front wheel. No need to be in a hurry.

Work on training and position. Use good tires and tubes, and good tight fitting clothing. Decent helmet. Done.

What rruff said. Busselton is super flat with a few rough chipseal roads, so a disc cover will help a lot as will good tires.

Position will be key in this course. And almost any other course as well haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2 with a Quarq Riken AL, Disc cover and a fit from someone good (which may lead to needing different aerobars). Use the powermeter properly and it will make more difference than anything other than the move to a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the last post. You may even be able to find a really good price on a frame with better components or wheels on sale this time of year as well as the 2016 models are all starting to roll out. Best of luck and welcome to ST!

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Another New Bike Question [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies.
So it would appear the cheaper bike would be the better option so a P2 or something similar ( whatever bike fit recommends) will do the trick.
Also seems a power meter would be beneficial for training and racing as well so ill need to do some more reading on them. Given heart rate and wattage will go hand in hand is it important to have them paired on the same device? I do not like heart rate straps so would likely use a wrist version. Would also want this device to give distance and pace while running. ( ie tomtom multisport or cardio ) however it is not ant + compatible so would require a different device for the power meter ( bike computer of sorts ) or is there a device that would cover all of this?
My next question is regarding aero wheels. As I am light about 60kg ( 132 lbs _) and live in a very windy area am I better off with shallower rims say 60mm or less or would going say a 60 front 80/disc rear not cause too many issues with being blown all over the place?

Thanks for any advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are so many power meter options out there right now and a lot of good threads on them. Check out DCrainmakers website too for some great reviews. In regards to a computer device- the Garmin 920xt should do all ie swim, bike, and run stats and HR and power, distance etc. Or you can just go with a bike computer for HR and power and use a running watch for running (I do this). For aero wheels the deeper in the back is better for both aero and handling and the front is personal preference and comfort. I'm 150 and ride a 60 up front with no issues and my wife is 110 and rides a 50 up front.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply