Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Another Ed Baker video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxEbwqNOqUA

I just don't know what to think. Any thoughts on this?

Edit: I do like the fact that he is talking about working towards a greater cause with the rare genetic disorders bit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Last edited by: colinlaughery: Apr 15, 19 6:13

Re: Another Ed Baker video [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]

colinlaughery wrote:

Edit: I do like the fact that he is talking about working towards a greater cause with the rare genetic disorders bit.

Super cool IMO. Cool dude, cool dad, cool uncle and a great cause to support. More people like Ed ad less people who complain about people like Ed would make the world a better place.

Sweet! I made the video!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!

Re: Another Ed Baker video [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]

I totally agree with this, however...

I couldn't get more than 25 seconds into that video. The sad, sappy piano music, while fitting to the what he was talking about and the weather and such, was a bit too much for me. I like anyone who takes the time to put out content but that just feels a bit over the top.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors

Re: Another Ed Baker video [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]

How is this over the top? Its common practice to combine music to match the mood when making a video. IMO, this video was put together better than 90% of the pro triathlete videos being published.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Re: Another Ed Baker video [Brandes] [ In reply to ]

Oh I know its a very well produced video, all of his stuff is. I was just saying that this specific piano track is supposed to inspire sadness and sympathy, and maybe it just does it a bit too well. I understand this is probably just a personal thing but something about it just really turned me off from this specific video.

I just remain amused that someone has enough hutzpah to pay to have such a video made about oneself. And ask one's friends to give testimonials as to how awesome one is. Totally weird to me. but to each their own.

I can only assume this fellow wants to become a pro and is trying to build brand recognition.

Re: Another Ed Baker video [Brandes] [ In reply to ]

Disagree.

Video needed more slow-motion swimming shots, drone panoramas, EDM, and Lionel Sanders.

colinlaughery wrote:

Much much better! 70% of interesting content from a fast amateur athlete, 30% of unnecessary bragging. Previous season the ratio was 10%/90%. He's improving.
Another 3-4 videos and he might even stop mentioning his Ivy League pedigree and Uber top management past.

Re: Another Ed Baker video [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]

Agreed. You have the doc saying he is fit, which is enough.

I liked it overall and wasn’t put off by the vid. I find him like-able.

Paging DR. Kiley

I could not get through few mins of his prior videos , too full of himself

Liked this one though , clearly a talented guy

The music is super depressing and wayyyy too loud.

Also...what is up with Male Youtubers comparing themselves to female pros...Taren and HJ...and Baker with Daniela?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Apr 15, 19 13:57

I actually think the video is fairly well done. It’s just that I want to scratch my eyeballs out every time its main star talks. In the grand scheme, I’m sure he’s a very decent human being. But, he is still super annoying.

I enjoyed it, great stuff. Clearly an super talented and super hardworking amateur who has the time and resources to basically train as a pro, and I'm def interested in seeing his progress and training come along. Really nice job on the video production as well.

I was trying to figure out how many watts he was putting up on his Vasa as well - dude works a LOT harder than I do (he also swims a lot faster than me!) so I gotta up my game there! I did see his Vasa pace was 1:10ish, which to me looks about right given his effort and cadence in that short video stretch.

Re: Another Ed Baker video [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]

I feel the same way. The dude's a total cringe. Narcissism of the highest order.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment

Re: Another Ed Baker video [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]

What's funny is the doctor said he's got a big motor.....Not sure I would want that out there. No excuses now.

When the title screen said “ED BAKER: SEASON TWO” I had to shut it off.

Who makes seasons about themself?

Re: Another Ed Baker video [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]

TJP_SBR wrote:
When the title screen said “ED BAKER: SEASON TWO” I had to shut it off.

Who makes seasons about themself?

Cmon guys, give him a break. As a young adult he was probably told thousand times at Harvard that he's elite of the elite. Then he was one of famous Uber top-assholes. Taking this into account, he's quite mild.

Yes, when you hear a Harvard prof saying 'I always though he's destined for something great', you feel like you're watching a documentary about JFK. :)

But he's improving. He has admitted a failure and showed what he's doing to improve.

colinlaughery wrote:

I met a great family while volunteering at the Oceanside 70.3 VIP area near the swim start. These folks were incredibly polite, fun, and interesting, and cheering on their son/brother/husband/friend. Turns out, it was Ed Baker's family, and I did very briefly meet Ed, help him w his wetsuit and direct him and family to the starting line.
I'm not really sure what all the angst is about, as Ed was about the most unassuming athlete out there in the pre-race chaos. Turns out, the whole family came to Oceanside to help celebrate his 40th birthday, and it sure looked like they were all having a blast.
It was neither the time nor place to ask about the videos, but I did have a great conversation with his dad and mom. Both of them were concerned about bike safety and wondered aloud what Ed had done to deserve so many negative comments.
I really didn't have an answer for that, so I asked about how Ed's nephew Grant (the one w the rare genetic disease,) was coming along... and learned about the foundation commonlyrare.org.
They're just getting started, so not a lot of information about it yet, but we'll definitely be hearing more about it coming soon.

Karen ST Concierge

alex_korr wrote:
I feel the same way. The dude's a total cringe. Narcissism of the highest order.

Yep, the whole racing for a 'bigger cause' is virtue signalling of the highest order. He wants people to know he is 'such a good guy'.

Personally I race for the children.

Re: Another Ed Baker video [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]

100% agree. People like Ed are net positive's and wish him and his family only but the best on this new journey. Will definitely be cheering from the sidelines.

Re: Another Ed Baker video [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]

To be fair, I would say its possible to admire Ed and also think his videos are kind of tacky.

Re: Another Ed Baker video [lightheir] [ In reply to ]

If his VASA pace is 1:10, his technique needs work... he swam a 5:27 400 at a masters meet in December and 11:12 800... that said his 400 splits were really consistent so he is able to hold a pace.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)

Prev Next