Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ankle Dorsiflexion - missing link?
Quote | Reply
Hello,

This is a long shot but maybe someone has gone through something similar. In 2015 I had a bad ankle sprain that took around 6 weeks to "heal". Ever since then I have not been able to run more than a few steps. Even walking, which used to be a very subconscious activity feels off.

I have had multiple physical therapy assessments, ortho doc evals, MRIs, Xrays without ever getting a solid answer. During the gait the problem feels like it is occurring during the loading phase.

I even had a brostrom surgery thinking that maybe the ATFL ligament that was stretched during the injury that caused this was the culprit. However fixing it has not helped at all.

Trying to get to the bottom of this, I have been hypervigilant about what maybe happening. I recorded some walking videos and realized that my ankle dorsiflexion on that side is slightly reduced compared to my other side. On measuring it with the lunge wall test it confirms that compared to the normal side, this ankle is more stiff.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether such a significant pathology can come from a reduction in dorsiflexion compared to my normal? Like lets say my active ankle dorsiflexion prior to injury was around 20degres and now after injury is around 7-10 degrees will my gait feel off?
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle Dorsiflexion - missing link? [bananas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can this please be moved to the regular forum. seems like i posted it in "jobs"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your question is if reduced dorsiflexion matters in running gait...short answer yes it does. You need 15-20 degrees of DF to get a proper/smooth midstance phase of running gait.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you NWB for an extended time after your surgery? If so, you likely lost some range of movement in your "ankle area" (ie, tight achilles)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to try and help
DM ME
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle Dorsiflexion - missing link? [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was nwb after my brostrom surgery in 2020 for 6 weeks.

However the initial injury and problems started after a bad ankle sprain in 2015. For this I just I was not non weight bearing. In fact the Ortho told me it’s an ankle sprain no big deal just go bout and it will heal on its own. After 4 weeks when things still didn’t return to normal had an MRI that confirmed what looked like a grade 2 sprain.

For those 4 weeks I had limping gait. Things have been off ever since
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After an ankle sprain in the 80s I couldn't walk well and definitely not run. The doc "violently"
cracked my foot like a chiro does to a neck and fixed me good! Im guessing that was 3-6 weeks after the injury. You are probably way past the cracking stage.
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle Dorsiflexion - missing link? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting you say that because I had something similar after my most recent ankle surgery (Brostrom and peroneal tendon repair). After being released to WBAT, I hoped my foot/ankle would not feel so stiff, and figured it would loosen up as I progressed my walking on it. It wasn’t until I stepped off a curb, heard/felt a pop of my lateral foot, that my range of movement started to finally improve. It hurt like hell for about 24 hours, so I thought I’d screwed something up, but the next day it was pain free and all of a sudden I had more movement. Spoke with my ortho and he said I may have had “adhesions” (scar tissue) that released when I stepped down and this also released the tissue allowing more movement
Quote Reply