Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Andrew Starykowicz, spending two days with him
Quote | Reply
Polar has arranged for Andrew to be tested in a lab that can simulate Kona temperature and humidity levels. It's a two day test and I am not sure what I can share but is their anything you might want to know ? VO2 testing on day 1 and day 2 is Kona effort on the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz, spending two days with him [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wayne@PolarUSA wrote:
Polar has arranged for Andrew to be tested in a lab that can simulate Kona temperature and humidity levels. It's a two day test and I am not sure what I can share but is their anything you might want to know ? VO2 testing on day 1 and day 2 is Kona effort on the bike and run.

I would like to know what his max rate is and what amount of fluid he loses per hour in those conditions.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz, spending two days with him [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watts at vo2max would be interesting!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be curious if you're going to try and determine sweat rate and fluid loss per hour, and if so, what those turn out to be.

Quote | Reply
That is one goal for sure which is why the Kona conditions are replicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Testing has started. Day 1 l, Substrate Testing.
Last edited by: Wayne@PolarUSA: Aug 7, 18 2:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure what I can share but is their anything you might want to know ?
---

Could you guys figure out how to help him plod less and run more efficiently? /pink

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wayne@PolarUSA wrote:
Testing has started. Day 1 l, Substrate Teatint.

What do you mean by "substrate testing"???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz, spending two days with him [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[inline image.jpeg]Checking his carb/fat utilization as fuel after various efforts. This will show insight to on bike nutrition for half's and full. Today they collect under Kona conditions at Kona effort his sweat and watch his electrolyte lose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweat collection in progress, it all gets collected. Kona temps and humidity. Core temperature monitoring thanks to a little pill swallowed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow so advanced.

Never knew core temp form a pill

How do they collect all of his sweat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you replicating Kona conditions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really cool Wayne, I studied exercise physiology in undergrad, we had a large grant from homeland security that was allocated to studying thermal regulation in firefighters, you’re probably using the same core temp pills, thought that was some of the coolest technology ever!

I’m sure you’re already planning something like this, but a final write up that includes charting in change of core temp over 4ish hours, change in rate of fluid loss, and change in cardiac activity would all be awesome. Are you using fixed power output or trying to replicate changes in power to reflect race dynamics and varied terrain?

Can’t wait to see the final product!

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wayne@PolarUSA wrote:
Sweat collection in progress, it all gets collected. Kona temps and humidity. Core temperature monitoring thanks to a little pill swallowed.

All I can say is the person collecting the core temperature monitor after use has to be a very good sport;)

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz, spending two days with him [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweat is collected with towels and other means. The Korey Stringer Institute can make the lab the same temperature and humidity as Kona. No probe, the pill did not pass through this morning :). Core temp at one point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you rotate the photos?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz, spending two days with him [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thankfully the pills do not need to be collected- they transmit a signal giving a live number, which is recorded during activity, then they eventually pass through the GI tract. As Wayne just alluded to, sometimes they pass too quickly- you want to ingest them the day prior so that it is further along than the stomach. They are one time use, thank goodness!

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will he be testing the new Polar Vantage V?

http://www.verynooty.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wayne@PolarUSA wrote:
Checking his carb/fat utilization as fuel after various efforts. This will show insight to on bike nutrition for half's and full. Today they collect under Kona conditions at Kona effort his sweat and watch his electrolyte lose.

Ah, carb/fat utilization...thanks!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply