Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
There isn't any real issue or challenge here. The resistance is entirely due to ego and sexism.

Every single person who write some essay pulling together statistics about depth of field or orthogonal arguments about age groupers is just sexist, even if they don't realize it, and missing the point entirely.

They damage their own business prospects in the process too. It is so incredibly stupid.

I'm not throwing this claim out here casually, I've waited many weeks to see the arguments hash out and now I'm making it. Because I've seen people just argue themselves in senseless circles, making herculean efforts to find some way to figure that 50 women to kona is a bad idea.

If such cognitive powers were applied to the process of finding 15 spots on the pier they would have already been found. Your businesses would look less like sexist dinosaurs, you would be applauded for doing the right thing, and more female pros might be able to scrape together a little bit more of career. You would have a positive PR story for free.

EVERYBODY FUCKING WINS

Now imagine how much time I would have saved on this topic if I just avoided ST and waited you to post this (minus the bold part) and just copy and pasted in place of my gazillion posts on this. Where were you when I squandering time that I could have used to train for IM Texas ????
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i have asked, of the appropriate people, and have not yet gotten the answer to: "what if a cohort representing AG women make precisely the same argument next year; what will TriEqual's leaders commit to saying to that cohort?"

It's a question that gets no answer because it's not happening. And using "what if" arguments for things that don't exist show a weak position. What if dogs marry cats? What if aliens attack? Those questions are taken just as seriously - not at all. And the "what if" is clearly seen as a diversion tactic. You get a unfriendly response because people are tired of it.

Answer the question then. If there should be equal slots for pros, despite the proportion of participation, then why should there not be equal slots for age groupers. If it is okay for age groupers then why is it not okay for pros?
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
I've also maintained the WTC is run by white male private equity. Big ego. Big money. and very clearly very poor PR knowledge.

When has name calling ever been helpful? You would like the spots divided evenly between sexes and they have chosen to do it based on proportional representation. Choosing to ignore that the limited spots can be divvied up in more than one way and calling everyone who disagrees with you names isn't helpful in getting what you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you asked. Because pros are your sport's representatives/advertisements while age groupers are your customers. Ironman loses money on the pros as a loss-leader (only $800 for all the triathlons they want and also paid prize money) for advertising to attract age groupers ($600 per race and no prize money). As reps of the company, you configure the pros they way you want the customers to be. This is why all sports do equal numbers at the top - it drives signups at the bottom.

Let's say you're a computer company and you want more African Americans to buy your products. Obvious step one is you put more African Americans in your ads. The pros are part the ad campaign for Ironman. If you want more women to sign up for your events, you put more women in your ad than there are currently in your (lacking) customer profile. It's marketing 101.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: texafornia: Apr 28, 15 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't completely made up my mind on this debate, however, I would like to see Dan's question answered by someone with some rationality.
Just for giggles, lets say WTC gives the women more slots and it is 50/50 next year. And for fun, lets say an age group women comes along and says, hey I want equal treatment as well and sues the WTC and wins. The WTC is ordered to have the exact number of mens age groups slots as women slots. How do they accomplish this without pissing off every male age grouper in the 20-50 category (since I assume the slots would be stripped from them).
Serious question. What would you do if you were in charge of WTC?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can one argue against equal spots yet support equal prize money? You can't, but Messick does.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't Title IX basically do this, and I guess, continue to do this?

ETA - Title Nine has nothing to do with this discussion...I need to stop drinking...

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Last edited by: moneydog59: Apr 28, 15 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moneydog59 wrote:

No idea (not familiar with that at all). I suppose it could be argued that it is "equal" now based on representation?
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moneydog59 wrote:

Actually Title IX is based on proportionality of the student population. If only 30% of your students are female, you do not need to provide an equal number of scholarships to the male athletes. But you also need to demonstrate continued expansion of the underrepresented sex, this is where I believe WTC is really dropping the ball. They need to have a clear and public plan on how they will increase female participation. They should also make their formula for how they distribute the slots public.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i see it as a pair of executable ideas that each deserves oxygen for discussion. there IS a set of competing ideas here.

Dan, this is the source of the problem right here:

1. The modern world doesn't see this as a competing idea. It's simply wrong. That's why people are so upset and acting the way they are. They wouldn't be acting this way if it wasn't so outrageous. So, the behavior actually proves the point.
2. There is no discussion coming from WTC. Just silence or non-action. Denying social media is a way to communicate further illustrates to the customer base that the company is lost in time, just like it's policy on female pros.

I'm no expert, but a company saying that this is the way it's always been and denying that social media is real has trouble written all over it.

I think KNY made the best point here with what was, admittedly, a reductio ad absurdum argument in the other big thread.

Basically, there is a sliding scale of perception. You can see this because when there were 180 pros in Kona, nobody ever really cared that there were more men than women, even though it was a much bigger disparity in terms of percentages than 35/50. This is also why no one really cares about fighting for equality at 70.3WC. WTC was barely able to get 35 women to take slots for 70.3WC. At HyVee - which had equal spots and where EVERY competitor got paid, WTC struggled to find 30 women who wanted to do it.

The issue is, at it's core, one of supply and demand.

If WTC were to keep proportional equality, but to drastically increase "supply," I bet you'd hear very few complaints.

Like, if suddenly, the qualification was "it's a pro only race on Sunday, and the top 90% of the KPR goes," I don't think you'd have any complaints that there were 600 men and 300 women. I just don't think that when you have such excess, that people care much.

On the flipside, I think it would be impossible to defend a championship where you had something like 10 men and 7 women. I don't think there's any way that you can argue that proportional equality is right when you are talking about talking the top 2% of the field.

But there's a crossover point. Everyone seemed okay when there were, basically, roughly 53 slots for women and 101 for men (that was the split in 2009). I've seen the data somewhere that basically tracks total slots YoY, that shows - on a percentage basis - that 50/35 is a pretty substantial "improvement" over the old slot model. You can get it off the Ironman website. 2007 was 90/52, 2005 was 86/57. There was a lot of variance.

I'm not saying that the old model was okay or not sexist. I'm just saying that nobody really seemed too upset by it.

Some of it, of course, was that some of the differences we now see - points, number of races, etc - were largely invisible during the slot model. I think that if it had been more obvious - like, if it was known at the start of the year how big the discrepancy would be as opposed to simply working out by "circumstance," I think there would have been more objections.

But I think that also shows that there's more to this debate than simply the disparity in slots. It's that it's more obvious. Because of that, I think it's a bit risky to say that we could just go back to unequal slots but handed out in a fashion more like the old system - one "advantage" (and disadvantage, depending on your perspective) of the slot model was that it COULD be a "one-and-done" model (in terms of locking up your spot in Kona). But it also could have been a system that overlooked someone who was really consistent but caught some bad breaks. Regardless, the slot model really had to go away for a number of reasons.

But I think that there is a valid lesson there that the total number of slots is a factor. It's not just about "equality."

I agree very much with KNY that at some point, proportional equality is acceptable. And at some point, it's not.

And I think that's important. Because I think that gets to a lot of how you solve this issue.

Here's what I believe (in a nutshell):
- there should be an equal number of men and women in Kona

- 50 pros (of any gender) is too many. At that point, the size of the field has a material impact on the race. In this sense, the women actually have it better in Kona because the number of women in the field doesn't change the race as much as it does on the men's side. The women do not have the same "Hawi Express."

- the size of the pro field is larger than it needs to be to make up for imperfection in the KPR as a ranking system. I.e., the 49th person on the KPR is not necessarily the 49th "best" Ironman athlete in the world.

I agree with Dan that the best solution reduces the total number of pros - something like 25/25 or 30/30. I also agree with Dan both in theory and based off what I've seen, that arguing for 50/50 is way easier than arguing for 35/35 because 50/50 doesn't ire the pro men. But I think that the larger the pro field, the harder it is to differentiate it from the age-group field in terms of position. This is especially true, I think, when the top age-group woman regularly finishes in the top-15 overall (that's a larger discussion since I realize that there are other factors at play there); strictly from a perception standpoint, I think that makes it tough. And perception is hugely important here.

The real key I think is that there are TWO separate discussions here that have been conflated into a single discussion.

ONE: what is the "correct" number of pros to have in Kona?

TWO: based on the answer to one, should there be an equal number of men and women?

I do think that one - how big should the pro field be - is the more important question, because it's about way more than just gender there. That's also about what does it mean to be a world championship, what is the best for growing the sport, bringing in sponsors, etc.

And I really do believe that the answer to question two is dependent on the answer to question one. If there are 1000 pro slots, will people really care if it's 525 and 475? Or 550 and 450? Or even 600 and 400? I don't think so. But they do care when you start to get down lower. At 25 or 30 slots, for example, i think equality is absolutely paramount.

And I think that's the discussion - both parts, together but also individually - that really needs to happen.

I also think that there's a real danger, with the internet, of diving into an echo chamber. There's been a lot of statements about WTC "losing the PR battle" here. But I think a lot of that is the "volume" of arguments made on one side. They just keep getting louder. But, based off my admittedly unscientific and anecdotal observation, it's based on an increasingly loud argument from a group that hasn't changed much in size as opposed to a increase in the number of folks making the argument.

It's also important to remember that this is hardly a national issue, which is important because it means that it's very hard to get a real gauge of the opposition. It's very unpopular within the microcosm of triathlon and social media to speak out "against equality." So why would you.

I've seen some age group women arguing on twitter that proportional equality works for them so why should the pros be any different. And I was shocked. Mostly because why would you want to open yourself up to the shit that will inevitably fly your way.

This is one of the downsides of the overabundance of media. You can easily only see the thoughts of like minded individuals. This thread has what, a total of 29 posts? It will maybe hit a couple hundred. But most of those posts will be made by a few folks. WTC will serve something like 200,000 customers around the world over this year. That's important to keep in mind. It's also important to keep in mind that you don't ever get to see the emails that Andrew and Dan or anyone else gets supporting proportional equality. I'm not saying that makes it right. Certainly there are plenty of examples of behind the scenes communication pushing to enforce an unfair status quo. I'm just saying that it's always dangerous - regardless of the side you are on - to look around at what you see and to assume that is representative of the total argument. That's true for WTC as well. It would be dangerous for them to just assume that people don't care.

Though, admittedly, most people, I'm sure, really don't care one way or the other. I'd bet with crafty survey design, you could probably get numbers to support whatever you wanted. I mean, the power that comes with how you simply phrase a question is pretty dramatic even when it's stuff people actually are passionate about... In any case, my point is that it's dangerous to assume that WTC is losing the PR war because you see a bunch of the same folks on twitter and facebook and here repeating the same arguments over and over. When a race doesn't sell out because customers explicitly say they aren't entering because of WTC's policy on gender within the pro ranks, THEN you can say WTC is losing the PR war.

This isn't meant to belittle the issue. It's really to just say that for most people, it's just a hobby, Kona is pretty much meaningless to them aside from watching it on TV, and that - as we've hammered over and over again - the pros really don't matter anyway. There's some irony in Ben Hobbs writing editorials on TRS about the importance of 5Q while also publishing Jim Gourley's editorials about how pros don't matter.

The most interesting discussion, I think, is really how this does - or does not - apply elsewhere. Like, for example, why isn't there any objection to the fact that the Bahrain Endurance 13 is not made up of an equal number of male and female pros. Should sponsors be held to the standard of strict equality as well. Why is it okay - or is it okay - that a given bike company sponsors more men than women? if not, why not? And if so, why?

I doubt anyone has made it this far, but if you have thanks...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue that might be at play here?

Sometimes to slay the Dragon, we become worse than the Dragon itself?

Anyway, I think you are on to something here... the message (which is likely a good one) seems to get drowned out by the delivery style. I personally find these "issues behind the issues" pretty interesting, but would rather not be called a racist, sexist etc, so will offer no more lol ;-).
Actually I don't really care much, but think the discussion is at an impasse for the moment.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't achieve equality by waiting for it to happen then responding as it slowly does. You implement reasonable policies to encourage it.

When women were given the right to vote, voter turnout for women was still lower than men. Using some of the same logic, we should have just waited 60 years until their numbers exceeded men. Maybe we should take away male voting rights now?

The numbers should be equal. Anything else is ultimately a form of discrimination. Maybe it will take 10, 20, 30 years, but eventually you'll see more equal fields in competitiveness. But we shouldn't need to wait for it to happen to do the right thing.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Glad you asked. Because pros are your sport's representatives/advertisements while age groupers are your customers. Ironman loses money on the pros as a loss-leader (only $800 for all the triathlons they want and also paid prize money) for advertising to attract age groupers ($600 per race and no prize money). As reps of the company, you configure the pros they way you want the customers to be. This is why all sports do equal numbers at the top - it drives signups at the bottom.

Let's say you're a computer company and you want more African Americans to buy your products. Obvious step one is you put more African Americans in your ads. The pros are part the ad campaign for Ironman. If you want more women to sign up for your events, you put more women in your ad than there are currently in your (lacking) customer profile. It's marketing 101.

I would agree to with this up to a point, there really are diminishing returns. I do not think adding 15 more woman pros will increase participation of women. I am just trying to imagine how many people will suddenly be inspired to do ironmans because of the woman that finished 43rd at Kona and they would not be inspired by the woman finishing 33rd. Add to this the media not really even giving the pros finishing outside the top 20 much press anyway, they are basically invisible anyway.

Of course I think the mens field is probably also bigger than WTC needs to optimize age grouper participation. Does the 43rd man pro really add much value?

Also, I think you should be careful when you say that ALL sports give equal spots, in reality it is very small minority that do. It is even rare that they give equal prize money.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually enjoyed that. Thanks! And I agree on your sliding scale point.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um. im not calling anyone names. That's your inference.

The company is run by white, wealthy men. This is fact.

I'm white 44 man. I'm just not wealthy! My inference is I am calling myself names-:)

I've proposed a solution falling on deaf ears and that's fine.

People getting paid more money than me to solve.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
x 2. No win situation.

M~ wrote:
Slowman wrote:
"WTC is losing the PR battle on this one. Had they just made a decision and provided equal slots (whatever the number is ....35/35, 40/40, etc) the issue would be over."

as i have stated, i don't think so. i have asked, of the appropriate people, and have not yet gotten the answer to: "what if a cohort representing AG women make precisely the same argument next year; what will TriEqual's leaders commit to saying to that cohort?"

i have not gotten an answer to this, except to get shouted down and insulted just for asking the question. my question is never answered. rather, i am just attacked because i ask the question.

about the most civil response i've gotten, so far, to this question is that we'll work on fixing a broken AG qualifying system later; that's no reason to delay giving pro women what it is they deserve.

but that's not an answer. it's a dodge.

now, maybe pro women do deserve the extra 15 slots. maybe that's the best resolution. i'm good with that. but this resolution cannot, in my opinion, occur without a universal agreement, committed to by all sides, as to what the posture of ALL sides will be going forward. is there still a commitment to proportional representation, and the female pros are the one cohort not obliged to follow this rule? that's fine. i absolutely understand the argument in favor of pro women not being held strictly to the proportional representation model.

but until the TriEqual leadership speak to this question i do not think it's just as simple as adding 15 slots and the problem is solved. i promise you, what i will get for writing what i just did is a toilet flushed on my head. but i will not get a meaningful answer to the question. and that speaks to the quality of the debate.

That is an excellent question.

I haven't read up enough to know the answer: but what is TriEqual's position regarding amateur slots? Straight 2 slots for every AG, men and women at every race? Isn't that a more effective way to grow the sport with women: make 100's more amateur slots available at Kona to amateur women vs. only 15 slots for pro women?

Is the current amateur system also sexist? If so, does it also discriminate based on age? How about disability status: there are only a handful Physically Challenged athletes on the pier?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Glad you asked."

point of order, and i think a lot of TriEqual's advocates are missing this. my question is not what YOU might say to a cohort representing women's AGers. it's what TriEqual's leadership is prepared to say to that cohort. THAT is (and has been) my question. unless ironman is prepared to grant 1150 slots each to males and females in kona, i think it's relevant to ask whether ironman and the female pros will stand arm-in-arm, each saying the same thing to any cohort who feels it is
underrepresented and being discriminated against (most notably AG females).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
At HyVee - which had equal spots and where EVERY competitor got paid, WTC struggled to find 30 women who wanted to do it.

IIRC, in many of the years before WTC took over this race, filling the field wasn't an issue for women.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 28, 15 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The company is run by white, wealthy men. This is fact."

the company is owned by a private equity company and you and i might agree that there is some peril in the whole idea of that kind of ownership model. but, in the context especially of this question (dealing with pro athletes), the interface and management of ironman with respect to its elites is almost entirely female. it's heather fuhr, paula newby-fraser, kate mittendstadt, diana bertsch.

i don't get the sense that the white, wealthy men at PEP get involved in the day-to-day management of ironman. when you look throughout ironman's org chart and its executive team, my guess is it's pretty evenly split between men and women, and it's not (as we see) devoid of those who would be sympathetic to the cause of the pro athletes.

once you get past these executives, the people that andrew messick typically turns to when taking the moral temperature of his contemporaries would be greg welch, mirinda carfrae, craig alexander and down the line. i remember one case in point when andrew was quite certain of a direction he wanted to go, and but he bowed to the better judgment of paula, crowie, et al.

as i have observed ironman in action, this seems to be the management team when it comes to policy decisions like this. on financial decisions, legal decisions, yeah, there's the CFO, chief legal officer, etc., but the above is as well as i can tell the team on race policy decisions.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:

No, it really isn't. Comparing selling computers to attracting more women to iron distance racing is about as Apples & Oranges as you can get.

The primary obstacle to more women doing IM races is not a lack of female pros. Not even in the Top 5 (10?) reasons Adding more women pros to the field will have little to no impact of female AG participation. Simple reason - those additional women get no coverage.

If you want to make the case for equal slots based on equality, there is some merit to it and I really see no downside to doing it. But the idea that it will drive female participation is farcical.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what Jordan says applies here - There are so many age groupers, nobody's asking for parity. And age groupers don't really get any benefit from going. It costs us money. It's a slippery slope argument that doesn't exist. But with the pros, the slot count is much fewer and people's livelihoods depend on it. To have the pro numbers not be equal is quantifyingly damaging to a gender.

Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
At HyVee - which had equal spots and where EVERY competitor got paid, WTC struggled to find 30 women who wanted to do it.

IIRC, in many of the years before WTC took over this race, filling the field wasn't an issue for women.

For a lot of years, it was an ITU race, so that's apples and oranges. You also might never have known about it. Like, it had a full field this year as well. I only know because of the work that I do with WTC; it's not like it was public. The issue was not really in filling the race. It was in filling the race with people who had actually gone through the 5i50 qualifying process. That's a larger discussion of the 5i50 series as a whole, qualification for championships, etc.

There were a lot of issues with the 5i50 series, and I'm sure that was more of an issue. I'm simply saying that it was not an issue to put 30 men into HyVee who had qualified. It was an issue on the women's side.

What you choose to infer from that is up to you. I think it demonstrates that there is an emotional side present with Kona that just doesn't seem to be there with any other race. For whatever that is and isn't worth.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
I think what Jordan says applies here - There are so many age groupers, nobody's asking for parity. And age groupers don't really get any benefit from going. It costs us money. It's a slippery slope argument that doesn't exist. But with the pros, the slot count is much fewer and people's livelihoods depend on it. To have the pro numbers not be equal is quantifyingly damaging to a gender.

Tell that to the F40-44 competitor at any qualifier that is chasing top 2 in her AG vs. her male counterpart that only needs be top 6.

And wouldn't more women come out to race if there were 4 slots for women? (If the goal is to increase representation.)

Sure, the amateur's livelihood isn't on the line, but some of those amateurs chase KQ just as hard as the pros.

[I'm making up the 6 vs. 2 slots 40-44....I know M40-44 hovers around 6, don't know about F40-44.]
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many more bows (that are pink) did Academy sell after The Hunger Games came out with a female archer? How many more Americans started biking after Lance started winning? How many more young people started golfing after Tiger Woods became famous?

Pros are in the spotlight. Fairness to female pros = more impressions that triathlon is as equal a women's sport as it is for men = more signups by women. Inequality to the women in the spotlight drives away female signups. If you're paying to pros to be in the spotlight, not using them to drive signups in the area that you keep talking about wanting more of is either bad business practice or systematic sexism. So which is it?

Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so where's the social media campaign, committees, t-shirts and tattoos at races to fight this terrible injustice? Or... it's not an issue at the moment.

Quote Reply

Prev Next