Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
An idea to help IM pros in Kona
Quote | Reply
ok, it's that time of year with all the usual discussion on why pros aren't pushing themselves for their greatest individual efforts, and rather playing strategy in determining how to win in Kona. First, let me say that I don't believe there is anything wrong with strategy, and frankly, if someone builds a dynasty because they have figured out a way (and thus may be smarter than the rest of their counterparts) to win the race year after year...that rocks. I love dynasties ;-)

However, we have seen the tri community step up before. A few years TriNewbies stepped in to help fund the new bike for the Hoyts, Tibbsy is getting his new bike, there are countless efforts by tri-people-o-rama doing races for charities, etc. So why are we unable to "convince" our pro-friends that breaking the overall time record could be lucrative?

As mentioned, it comes down to money. Thus, I think we should take it upon ourselves to help that out. Why not create a fund that just continues to grow until someone breaks the record? We may not raise $20k the first year, we may raise $50k...but keep that incentive building over a few years, and who knows?

Even better, to the WTC if you are reading, why don't YOU manage the fund? ;-) You have the ability to alot the top provider of donations (I hesitate to use "fundraiser" as this is only for greedy purposes and not a charitable contribution) each year a slot at your famous little get together over in Kona?

Anyway, just a thought. I pledge my initial donation of $10 today. Anyone else? How about you tri industry folks? I KNOW there are plenty of manufacturers who read this site (I'm calling you out ABG, Softride, Cervelo, Felt, Powercranks, Triathlete Mag, Profile, Zipp, etc.) and plenty of their dealers (and besides Tom D. there are plenty others who read but don't post). Heck, if NBC had any ba!!s they'd throw in $100k just for making those of us who want to watch an actual athletic race version suffer through human highlight show ;-) (ok folks, easy does it, I'm just making a point that there are some people with the money to help provide incentive).

So who's in? Anyone? Tibbsy? Bunnyman? Buehler? Buehler?

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: An idea to help IM pros in Kona [Craigster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The WTC is going to LOVE the idea... After making a ton of money off triathletes and volunteer work, now "we" get to pay in order to keep the race interesting... Wait, I just had another idea, why don't "we" pay the prize-money too!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if i'm giving money to anyone, it's the orphans who need a bike. check out the hero thread and then still tell me you think this is a good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: An idea to help IM pros in Kona [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of course THEY would like it...imagine the money they could earn off the interest ;-)

..and frankly, as long as they don't subsidize it out of race fees (which would increase the price), if it were something completely different where people had the choice to participate, I couldn't give a rat's a$$. I'd just like to find our own little tri version of "Tin Cup" ;-)

Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me get this straight. . .You want me to chip in for a fund to motivate professional triathletes to race harder?

I don't know where to begin. Absolutely not.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't tink this is anything the general public or participants needs to fund. The idea in principal is a great one. Just about every major marathon in the world has significant financial incentives to run fast times, break the course record or set the world best. In some cases, at Chicago and the London marathons the pay-out for a world-best time are huge! There are also rabbits and pacers whose sole pupose is to help pace the big names to various key points on the course on record pace. These pacers get paid for doing that and they get a bonus for getting the leaders there on record pace. The WTC should and could do the same with IMH or any other IM for that matter. I have rarely if ever heard about bonuses for fast times at IMH or any other IM race. This money should come from the prize purse and is typically fronted up by the title sponsor. Send a letter/email to Ben Fertic. I am sure that he would be interested. However, I suspect that it is something that they have already looked into. My only concern with the idea, is that the prize money at IMH and other IM races is already top-heavy, this would make it even more so.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think most of us would give funds or time to a charity, but prize money to a pro? You are crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's nuts; there is no way I'm adding to the top athlete's paycheck. I would rather sport the ticket for someone from a country where it is not economically viable for them to race.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many races now offer substantial incentives for breaking records. It just isn't well known amongst the masses.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: An idea to help IM pros in Kona [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dude...been there..read the thread.

As someone who has journeyed around all the tri related sites and watched them evolve for the last 6+ years, I still always find it amazing that people seem to believe there are things like "this is more important than that" ideas when it comes to donation.

I have seen heated "discussions" when people climb all over someone else who doesn't participate in their "charity". I have seen people who seem to prioritize THEIR cause as the best (which I commend them for exhibiting such passion). What I don't see is people using their brains realizing people do things for their own reasons. Perhaps someone gives generously (both financially and time wise) to many different types of causes throughout the year, and thus would like to help fund something that is a bit lighter in nature? What about people who only give to one cause each year (let's say, the surgery of their own child) and so might find some release in helping push competitors as opposed to something else?

I've read the other thread, and it's definitely a commendable thing Tom (or whoever) suggested. Lighten up. Life doesn't have to be this vs that. There is room for both...and the many other things people support that may or may not make it to this website for charitable "approval".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It just doesn't make sense for normal Joes and Josettes to give their money to entice pros to race hard. I agree that I would rather put my money elsewhere. It would make more sense for WTC to attract corporate sponsers who will pay up if the course record is broken. The corporation gets great publicity and they just have to purchase an insurance policy against the payment so it's easy for them to fund. How about the "Michigan Bikesports Course Record Prize Fund"? (sorry Tom, I'm just using it as an example)

D.
Quote Reply
Re: An idea to help IM pros in Kona [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, the prize money at Kona is top heavy, and while I jokingly mentioned letting the WTC facilitate the funding, apparently it's been perceived as feasible.

As far as their own research into doing it, I believe Dan posted an article a few years ago about the uniqueness of fundraising for Kona (perhaps when new people took over and he was detailing the experience of the old group?). You know as well as I, that if the WTC could get more financial donation, it would probably be utilized in ways OTHER than giving it to the winner.

Then again, perhaps they do something similar to the famous marathons.

I guess the irony here is that I figured if 5 or 6 people each gave $10, I'd be able to announce we have a pot of about $60 for an incentive ;-) I wonder if Peter, Tim, and those guys would laugh their a$$es off when I emailed them letting them know of such an incentive...LOL

Quote Reply
Re: An idea to help IM pros in Kona [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GREAT! That's a great cause...

but hey, have you ever just wanted to do something wacky?

er...

uh..

wait a minute...

Tibbs?

;-)

Quote Reply
Re: An idea to help IM pros in Kona [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not both? Read post above, why must it be "all charities all the time?"

Man, I have a feeling the overtraining intensity level has skyrocketed in here

;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helping Tibbs was deffinately whacky ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: An idea to help IM pros in Kona [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, read the above post. Life isn't an all or nothing test. What would you say if someone donated 20 hours of their life each week to a charitable cause, donated $10k/year to help OTHER terminal children (while providing for their own terminal child), and yet STILL wouldn't mind getting a laugh out of participating in an "incentive" that might draw a total of about $60 worth of donations and then telling the pros it's all theirs?

Quote Reply
Re: An idea to help IM pros in Kona [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so why was that money given to him as opposed to an organization that daily helps thousands of infants born worldwide into dire situations?

Let me guess...because you thought it might be funny? You wondered if it would work? It actually IS a good thing to help out a fellow tri-geek/ST'er? and because you WANTED to (despite knowing there are a bazillion good causes more "deserving" according to some overtrained/overintense people? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Craigster wrote: " guess the irony here is that I figured if 5 or 6 people each gave $10, I'd be able to announce we have a pot of about $60 for an incentive ;-) I wonder if Peter, Tim, and those guys would laugh their a$$es off when I emailed them letting them know of such an incentive...LOL "

OK, I'll put in $10. I'll double it if Tibbs breaks the record.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference is that the person who wins Kona is already going to make $100K, and I believe Tibbs was not employed (correct me if I am wrong and no offense to Tibbs) at the time his bike fund was started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>why must it be "all charities all the time?" <<

Amen! Have the disease of the month (especially if you can drag a kid or pet into it) and you're golden.

But I'd rather give to a "send a qualifier from a non-US address who couldn't otherwise afford to go to Kona" fund.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: An idea to help IM pros in Kona [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You want a killer story? What about that African swimmer guy that barely could swim the length of a pool at the Olympics back in 2000? Where is THAT dude? THAT was one of the most incredible moments I've seen in the Olympics since I started watching them in Munich! (and part of that has to do with the kick a$$ Aussie crowd cheering the guy on!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"so why was that money given to him as opposed to an organization that daily helps thousands of infants born worldwide into dire situations?"

I help a lot of people and contribute to many organizations yearly. Most of my contributions go towards difficult to place foster children. Tibbs on the other hand, I just felt like helping.

Helping DeBoom or Reed make more money just doesn't appeal to me.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by kac94 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea! I'll pledge $10 as well. Big whup if the pros already get $100K. If a little bit extra would make the race more exciting I'm all for it. I'd like to see a race where they go as hard as they can without concerning themselves about the possibility of not being able to finish in an effort to grab some extra cash.

Don
Quote Reply
Re: An idea to help IM pros in Kona [kac94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry folks, but I'm with Craigster. I would like to see $1 M pot for the first pro man under 8 hours in Hawaii or the first woman pro sub 8:50. Make the money go 30 deep too. As Fleck, says, bring out a few rabbits and pay them some serious coin.

I really do not understand why most of you age groupers are so opposed to pros making money. I'd love to see pros in triathlon making New York Yankee like salaries. That would be totally awesome. Most of us likely make more in a week than most pros make in a month and typically, our weekly salaries are higher than most pros make directly off triathlon in an ENTIRE YEAR.

Most pros, work another job. They are just like you and I, only faster. Way faster. They have families and kids to support. Usually, without a really understanding parents/spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend/fiance to underwrite their pro dreams non of these pros could not do what they are doing.

My $10 CDN (now up to $8 US) will go into the pot if it entices Mr. Reid, Stadler and crew to push the limit.

And by the way, I also like to donate to the University of Ottawa Heart Institute (http://www.ottawaheart.ca/hcwelcome.htm), and Canadian National Institute for the blind (www.cnib.ca). Feel free to donate there, if the Kona pot does not appeal to you :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next