Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Amica Rhode Island 70.3 [Bomber13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bomber13 wrote:
With all due respect - and I share your views on some elements of the course - but that same volunteer checked me in on Saturday and was there from 8am - 6pm and couldn't have been more energetic and helpful. Get over yourself. The fact he didn't have top notch dental work doesn't make him any less selfless and willing to take time out of his weekend to help you rack your $5,000 bike so you can exercise the next day for 6 hours.
Yeah, that comment rubbed me wrong too. People get up in arms about how shitty the locals are apparently treating the race, so they mock the locals who support it? The modern "triathlete way", entitled and elitist to the end!
Quote Reply
Re: Amica Rhode Island 70.3 [Newyorkfan21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Newyorkfan21 wrote:
wasn't informed until I dropped my bike off the day before the race that it wasn't wetsuit legal (was told by a volunteer with 4 teeth)

Apparently someone didn't feel the need to show up at one of the many athlete briefing sessions....

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: Amica Rhode Island 70.3 [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quantum wrote:
Bomber13 wrote:
With all due respect - and I share your views on some elements of the course - but that same volunteer checked me in on Saturday and was there from 8am - 6pm and couldn't have been more energetic and helpful. Get over yourself. The fact he didn't have top notch dental work doesn't make him any less selfless and willing to take time out of his weekend to help you rack your $5,000 bike so you can exercise the next day for 6 hours.
Yeah, that comment rubbed me wrong too. People get up in arms about how shitty the locals are apparently treating the race, so they mock the locals who support it? The modern "triathlete way", entitled and elitist to the end!

My intent wasn't to attack locals or people with missing teeth (I am sorry if anyone here on the board has missing teeth).

Ironman is a business...a service business and each race seems to be it's own separate business run differently. And after paying $300 dollars to excerise/race for a day i expect a certain level of quality, prediticability, professionalism, saftey and enjoyment with a low amount of stress leading up to the race. This race seems to be going in the wrong direction every year.

So damn right I am going to complain; just like I would complain if my dry cleaner ruined my suit. Which has nothing to do with the price of my bike or how fast I race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newyorkfan21 wrote:
Quantum wrote:
Bomber13 wrote:

My intent wasn't to attack locals or people with missing teeth (I am sorry if anyone here on the board has missing teeth).

Ironman is a business...a service business and each race seems to be it's own separate business run differently. And after paying $300 dollars to excerise/race for a day i expect a certain level of quality, prediticability, professionalism, saftey and enjoyment with a low amount of stress leading up to the race. This race seems to be going in the wrong direction every year.

So damn right I am going to complain; just like I would complain if my dry cleaner ruined my suit. Which has nothing to do with the price of my bike or how fast I race...

Nobody disagreed with your complaints or your right to make them. Two people took issue with the fact that you mocked a volunteer (someone not getting paid for his time or efforts to help you) for his appearance.
Quote Reply
Re: Amica Rhode Island 70.3 [Bomber13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you, there is a lot of complaining and negativity from people who could simply choose not race the event. Maybe the swim could be in the ocean if every racer paid $100.00 but then people would be crowing about that too. Oh, and the guy who attacked the volunteer: way to go, keep it classy

Audaci Favet Fortuna
Quote Reply
Re: Amica Rhode Island 70.3 [Austentx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I got the "pictures" email today, the one including me crossing the finish line with the total running time right there. Subtract the amount of time until my wave went, their times appear to be off by a few. I do not keep track of my whole ongoing time with a watch so I just try to piece together three separate times if I catch them. Bottom line, does anyone know where a link to the final results page are? Can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Stay cool and mash. Fast IS Fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Amica Rhode Island 70.3 [itriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too noticed the time seemed off a bit. Results posted here: http://ironmanrhodeisland.com/.../?y=2011&rid=372
Quote Reply
Re: Amica Rhode Island 70.3 [cyclingdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the timing. First I was 10th, then 8th, and now I am 9th. I have never seen such poor execution from a race before.

4 x Kona Qualifier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts FWIW...

This is was my fourth year doing this race. With a few minor exceptions, the IM circus did another very good job producing a hard race to run in a difficult location. My only gripe has to be the course...only because - as a rhode island resident - I want to see my state showcased in a better way (true ocean swim vs linclon woods...guess which showcases the 'ocean state' better). The bike course for the first three years was great. Nice and fair and, again, it gave you a great view of the state itself. The run course is what it is...every version they have put together has been tough and fair.

The volunteers were great. NBX did another great job doing bike tech work and on the course work. Eident Sports Marketing and Brewer Rowe did a commendable job...I am a happy camper at the end of the day and will more than likely sign up again.

My last word on the water...swimming at linclon woods was fine. The water sucked but so does Barrington Beach, Colt State Park beach and Goddard Park beach. All three other places hold tri swims and have their issues. Yeah my stomach was off for a day and a half...A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR AGE GROUP MEDIOCRITY!

VM

Quote Reply
Re: Amica Rhode Island 70.3 [Austentx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Austentx wrote:
I'm with you, there is a lot of complaining and negativity from people who could simply choose not race the event. Maybe the swim could be in the ocean if every racer paid $100.00 but then people would be crowing about that too. Oh, and the guy who attacked the volunteer: way to go, keep it classy

this race changes every year so impossible to know what the race will be from one year to another. I bet this is a big reason why this race rarely if ever brings in top pros...

Regarding the volunteer...it was really an attak on the RD. But even if it was a small dig at a volunteer...stop being so damn sensitive...THis isn't a book club!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newyorkfan21 wrote:
I bet this is a big reason why this race rarely if ever brings in top pros...
If you think that's the reason there's not a deeper pro field, you're even more dumberer than your comments allude to.
Quote Reply
Re: Amica Rhode Island 70.3 [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I am sure an inconsistent course has some to do with it...

Almost no points and no cash is the bigger reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MeltingPot wrote:
Newyorkfan21 wrote:
I bet this is a big reason why this race rarely if ever brings in top pros...
If you think that's the reason there's not a deeper pro field, you're even more dumberer than your comments allude to.

With 22 pros registered only 12 even showed up!

That shows how bad this race is organized and the uncertainly surrounding the swim course and poorly designed bike course.
that the few Pros that even signed up HALF decided not to race.

And I'm the dumb one....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newyorkfan21 wrote:
With 22 pros registered only 12 even showed up!

That shows how bad this race is organized and the uncertainly surrounding the swim course and poorly designed bike course.
that the few Pros that even signed up HALF decided not to race.

And I'm the dumb one....

Yeah, it must be because of the uncertainly surrounding the swim course and poorly designed bike course. I'm sure that's it. You're really entertaining, post something else, pretty please, it's super entertaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race is over, let it go. We can bitch about the course changes next year when they change it again...for the 5th time.

Quote | Reply
I don't know if I'm sensitive but maybe its a misinterpretation of "classy" that you are confused about.

Audaci Favet Fortuna
Quote Reply

Prev Next