Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

American racing Ironman Cervia (Italy)
Quote | Reply
Long time member, infrequently post within forum....

However, questions exist.

Signed up to race Ironman Cervia (Italy) in September 2024.
Live in Michigan (USA).
50 year old Male with life goal of doing 1 Ironman within each age group up through late 60s or early 70s. Recently entered a new age group!!! Hooray!
Completed 4 previous Ironmans (2012, 2013, 2018, and 2021) as well as a few 1/2 Ironmans.
Race goal: about 12.5 - 13.5 hours
--
A couple of questions...

1. I plan to rent a bike through FBR (French Premium Bike Rentals). Has anyone experienced pros or cons of renting through them? Note: My desire is to vacation for a week after the race, and I do not want to lug the bike on the trains and to/from this AirBnB to that AirBnB. The bike rental is for simplicity and vacation enjoyment but I could still opt to bring my bike if the forum can provide great options.

2. Medical Clearance through DokeOp. In order to race in Italy, you need to get approved medically. There are 4 options, and only 1 applies for me, I think. It says...
"I have other annual license (non-European Federation)
• In this case, you must upload your annual license in Dokeop. We also recommend to check with your Federation that you are covered to compete in Italy.
• Additionally, you must upload a medical certificate valid for triathlon competition.
Does anyone know that the USAT Annual Membership includes the ability to compete in Italy? I assume it does, but want to be certain. It looks like I'll need to upload some sort of medical certificate as well. Would a primary care physician be able to fill out that form and/or provide that certificate?

3. Flight is through Bologna. We've visited Rome and Florence recently. Looking to explore other areas in the area (ie. Venice). Besides Venice, what should we do post race in late September?

Cheers,
Brian
Quote Reply
Re: American racing Ironman Cervia (Italy) [CanUsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your USAT membership is valid to race IM in Italy.

A signed letter from your family doctor/general practitioner stating that you are healthy to race is adequate. You can also download the template that will be sent to you after you sign up for the race and send that to your doctor for signing. Both methods were accepted.

Renting bikes are great racecation options in Europe. High quality bikes in great condition. Think about bringing your own pedals, saddle, helmet, and bolt-on aero bars. For longer races like you are doing, make sure you have enough bottle holders. Also think about bringing you electronics for metrics and pacing.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in Wisconsin … similar age… I did Italy in 2019. I would be scared to rent a bike as I’d rather be on my bike that I trained on. Although- hauling my bike around Italy was a major pain!

I gave them a letter from doctor in Usa that states I was healthy to compete. The person at check-in said, well you did Ironman before, right? I said yes and that was it.

I went through Italy and then took a train through Austria to Munich and went to Oktoberfest.

Great trip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the medical clearance unique to Italy? I raced next door in Croatia there were no such requirements. The race was run by IM Europe (Germans).
Quote Reply
Re: American racing Ironman Cervia (Italy) [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
recently ran Nice to Cannes marathon. never submitted medical info b/c I just didn't know what to send them. took it up with someone at a "liturges" booth (ended up a good guess for help). they gave me a sheet, I checked some boxes and they had me take it to get my bib. all good. super easy

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: American racing Ironman Cervia (Italy) [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not certain. Within the registration process for the race, though, it speaks to it and I had to have an extra acknowledgement that I understood my assignment.
It may say the same thing for US races, Asian races, other European races, etc., or maybe not.
In the past, it was never a big deal, but I don't feel like flying to Italy and being turned away because of paperwork issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all responses.
I think I have a decent foundation as it relates to the medical paperwork and my USAT certificate.

As it relates to the bike, I recognize the items I'd need to deliver and consider (ie. hydration, seat, pedals, computer mount, etc). My guess is that the bikes are quality bikes and the wheels are average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used FBR for IMs at Switzerland and Italy in 2021. They were terrific. I had them build my bike up for the Ironman in Thun, then they transported it fully built after the race over to Italy, and then after the race in Cervia, they boxed it up for me so I could fly home with it. Very professional folks and I would definitely use them again for any races in Europe. While I didn't rent a bike from them, it looks like they have some good options, though I agree with other posters that renting a tribike for an IM is not ideal. I did that once in Australia on a road bike with aero bars and I won't do it again. Good luck either way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've rented a tri bike for IM Cascais with FBR. It's ok, but I will not do it again.

The bike was fine, not the latest model, but everything was tuned-up and performed well.

What I don't like is time spent. There will be dozens of people picking up bikes, most of then aren't mechanical-savvy and require help with tuning up, selecting saddle bags, helmets (you can rent everything). I've waited about 1.5 hours in line to pick it up.
When I delivered it back (on the next day after race, they were already closed in the evening) I was first in line and didn't wait much. But there is probability to wait in line there as well.

May be it's just me and I should have just relaxed and enjoyed chatting with fellow triathletes while waiting, but I can't do it sometimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Brian,

I raced Cervia in 2022 and it was a wonderful venue.

We stayed in Treviso before the race and made friends with the owners of a local bicycle store KM261. They helped me tune up the bike and then kept it for me after the race while we toured. Italy has a lot of mom and pop bicycle stores and I am sure you could find one in Cervia or Bologna to keep it for you. The TSA experience can be a bit frustrating coming back, so just be patient and allow for plenty of time.

The bike course is narrow, the pavement can be irregular, and has a lot of rough spots that require good bike handling. Having my familiar bike was a plus.

We stayed in Hotel Orchidea because it was across the street from IM Village and the swim start/finish. It's a smaller hotel with nice rooms, friendly staff, and great food.

Ciao.

George
Quote Reply