Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
American Zofingen 2019
Quote | Reply
Brought to you from Murphy'sLaw's post (#104) on American Zofingen 2018...

"NEW HOME and registration site for American Zofingen for 2019.... and beyond!!! 

https://runsignup.com/...icanZofingenDuathlon

I AM IN. 

Who wants a piece of this? 

As the self-appointed "Director of Marketing" for AmZof on ST, I am de-lurking 6 weeks earlier than usual, to get the word out. 

AmZof is Sunday, May 19th. 
It's the weekend AFTER Mother's Day, and the weekend BEFORE Memorial Day, so you don't have any other plans. 

float , hammer , and jog"

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2019 [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did folks get an email from Tom? I have gotten one from Mark, but hope to see the next installment referred to on the FB group, as confirmatuon my deferred entry didn't get droped in transition.

Also curious if there's a recap of whatever happened there? Seems like Marks posts may have gotten pulled from the FB group. I'm always trying to coerce folks to sign up for this race, so found the "it's not cancelled" text a bit outta nowhere.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was curious about what happened also...have only gotten the one email.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2019 [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom is taking over all RD duties, and Mark Wilson is going to focus on all of his other events.

There will be another email going out shortly to update all current (and former) race registrants w/ the new info.

EVERYONE who registered via Mark Wilson's site, has been carried over to the new site.
https://runsignup.com/Race/FindARunner/?raceId=68687

Here's a little video to get you psyched up!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sue,

I've traded some emails w/ Tom, but I haven't gotten the full skinny on what happened or why.

Suffice it to say, the show must go on!!!

And, as stated above, all prior registration info has been pulled over to the new site.
(Mine wasn't there yesterday, and now it is today)

IF you're one of the handful of folks who had a deferral, etc - good idea to double-check to make sure you're there.
And IF not, then contact Tom, and I'm sure he'll get it all sorted out in a timely manner.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2019 [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was trying to avoid jumping up and down for individual attention, but after 2 days I couldn't stand it any more. Well, not in the face of your reviving the thread, at any rate.

I'm glad to see I'm indeed listed, AAAAND I'm not the only F in LC. W00t, competition! Haha.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We’ll try to round up a few more badass womens to join you in LC.

Rode the course today after work, it’s flat & fast!
Not.

One of the perks of being a local.
Roads are in pretty decent shape.
Me? Somewhat less so.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ML holding court..... only one person pretending to listen to him..... (Exhibit 1)

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2019 [CeeCee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BUMP.

Only three months to American Zofingen!!!
Get your training on people.

AmZof hills wait for no man or woman.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously my favorite race of all time... *sigh* I wish it was a bit easier to get to from Minnesota...
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2019 [withrow79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did both long and short course 10 yrs ago, 2008/2009. wonderful area and awesome course. Just a thought, and feel free to poke holes in it, but what if the short course was run as draft legal/road bike only? i'm pretty sure there would be no large peloton involved, but working together with a few other riders would really make the race more interesting. thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2019 [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My running is too slow to have me be part of a peloton, but the idea of riding down Mountain Rest in a pack sounds terrible to me. Result for me would be a slower desent. I also wouldn't feel comfortable with a stranger sucking my wheel down that, or over other parts of the course that is open to cars but doesn't have a great shoulder (NP-Minnewaska, shoulder unpaved and tire line of road some degree of damaged through my years of participation). YMMV.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
withrow79 wrote:
Seriously my favorite race of all time... *sigh* I wish it was a bit easier to get to from Minnesota...

You need to come back and try to take back the AmZof descent KOM!!!
I had it for a while, then some local young stud nabbed it from me last summer. Rats!!

You get the biggest props, since you did it during the actual LC race, rather than as a one-off training ride like us locals did.

I think you'd need to leave the fatbike home for that tho. :-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
withrow79 wrote:

You need to come back and try to take back the AmZof descent KOM!!!
I had it for a while, then some local young stud nabbed it from me last summer. Rats!!

You get the biggest props, since you did it during the actual LC race, rather than as a one-off training ride like us locals did.

I think you'd need to leave the fatbike home for that tho. :-)

Ahhh man that is SOOOO tempting! When I took that Downhill KOM, it was raining (not kidding), and please don't tell the race officials, but I had to pass an SUV on the double yellow line just after the short esses because he was threatening to slow me down!!! I have a new tri bike now, so would certainly be fun to test it out on that beast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I did similar when I got the KOM in the first place.

I remember being ON the double yellow, passing a car, while another was coming up the hill towards me, all the while my brain shouting "THINK SKINNY THOUGHTS!!!!" for the few seconds it took me to overtake the car.
Ah, good times.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2019 [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
Did both long and short course 10 yrs ago, 2008/2009. wonderful area and awesome course. Just a thought, and feel free to poke holes in it, but what if the short course was run as draft legal/road bike only? i'm pretty sure there would be no large peloton involved, but working together with a few other riders would really make the race more interesting. thoughts?

One of the many beauties of AmZof, is that there's no drafting, in large part because there's not many places where you can even do it consistently enough to matter.

So, I'm gonna give that a hard NO. Here's why:

First off, you'd need to have your "riding buddies" finish Run 1 and T1 about the same time as you.
Then you'd all need to be roughly equivalent climbers to get up Mohonk in some semblance of the same zip code.
Then bomb down the descent, which regardless of desire to draft, isn't actually gonna happen for any but the absolute best bike handlers
(aka - not 98% of all multisport folks)

Then manage to stay together during The Whole Climb, the stair-stepped ascent to the Awosting lot entrance at Minne, before you bomb down from there.
https://www.strava.com/segments/1421805?filter=overall

Could you "work together" for that? I guess?....
Would it even matter? Or help?

The only section of the course that really would reward drafting, would be the Far Side Flats segment, and even that has a few short punchy climbs.
https://www.strava.com/segments/1307836?filter=overall

But lastly, drafting is the antithesis of everything American Zofingen is all about.
It's an individual challenge, that happens to be timed and have other people doing it while you are.

Followed by FREE BEER in BIG HONKING STEINS.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ML,

Any accommodation suggestions/ sites/ locations for this pls? The AmZof site doesn't seem to have anything on this. Thx.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2019 [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a TON of hotels in and around New Paltz, but also in Kingston, Newburgh, Highland, and Poughkeepsie.

I've always been a local, so I can't speak to any of them from personal experience.

Hampton is probably the best, other than the Mohonk Mountain House, which is absurdly expensive (and very very nice).
Hampton is BRAND NEW, just built recently.

There's an America's Best Value place that gets 3.5 *'s on Trip Advisor, which is probably the next "best" one in town.
For a really cheap stay, there's also the Hostel.

Do NOT stay at the Hudson Valley Resort & Spa - even tho it is quite literally right on the bike course.
It is a DUMP.
Like a Catskills heyday resort from Dirty Dancing, that hasn't been maintained since the 1950's.

If you wanna keep the fam busy doing their own thing while you outdoor recreate, you could look into Rocking Horse Ranch.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

I remember being ON the double yellow, passing a car, while another was coming up the hill towards me, all the while my brain shouting "THINK SKINNY THOUGHTS!!!!" for the few seconds it took me to overtake the car.
Ah, good times.

Are you F'ing mad?

I felt squeamish passing a slower descender who was riding in the middle of the lane. NFW would I pass a car on that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, because I always stayed in the Hudson Valley Resort when I went up there. Definitely a dump and creepy in many ways. But that was part of the charm for me doing that race. It was close to the race and was a bed to sleep in, but you're right that it is "frozen in time" circa 1982. My standards are very very low when looking for a place to stay and it did clear that very low bar for me, given that I stayed there again the next year (and the next year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

It's an individual challenge, that happens to be timed and have other people doing it while you are.

Gets my vote for the 2019 T-shirt slogan!

Also, gets me thinking about coming out of retirement.

Damn you!!!
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2019 [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've stayed at these two and give them suitable marks.
There's an America's Best Value place that gets 3.5 *'s on Trip Advisor, which is probably the next "best" one in town.
For a really cheap stay, there's also the Hostel.

I've also stayed at a couple other places. The one in Kingston (Super 8 maybe) was pretty ... interesting, let's say. Like in a saggy mattress, bugs in the bed, mold on the wall under the bathroom sink kind of way.

Seems AmZof frequently falls on the same weekend as graduation (SUNY New Paltz) and can lead to sell-out status at area hotels.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Ah, good times.

Are you F'ing mad?

I felt squeamish passing a slower descender who was riding in the middle of the lane. NFW would I pass a car on that.

Define "mad". ; )

I pass cars on that semi-regularly. Only on the straights, of course.
I hate getting stuck behind some cager noodling along at 40-45 mph.

And if you don't pass them on the fast part, you will for sure get stuck behind them in the lower turns, and/or at the stop sign at the bottom.

(I'll admit the pass with the oncoming car was, uh, less than my smartest move on a bike.)

Last time out, got out from Mohonk gate just ahead of a dude in a Mercedes SUV.
I could tell by his "car body language" that he was initially not pleased.
However, I dropped him like a hot rock in the turns, and he didn't really catch back up again until just before the bottom turns, where it's a bit less steep.

Anyway - made the R onto Butterville, and so did he.
I waved him by to pass me, and he pulled alongside, rolled down the window, and I thought maybe was going to give me an earful.
Instead, he was like "WOW MAN, YOU HIT 55 FOR A WHILE THERE!!!"

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
BUMP.

Only three months to American Zofingen!!!
Get your training on people.

AmZof hills wait for no man or woman.

I'm signed up for Long Course, my first time at AmZo. I'm also local just over in Dutchess County, been trying to plan some time to go ride the course. Between AmZo and Lake Placid, I need to get my ass on some hills!

Would love to get a ride together with someone who knows the course. More fun than suffering alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting to make my debut next year. You guys went and scheduled this damn thing the same day as one of the events I direct in CT. BOO-URNS. This is the last year we're directing this race though, so I'm fresh out of excuses for 2020.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next