Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Am I the only one that uses regular Gatorade?
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that uses just regular buy it at Walmart Gatorade? Mostly out of curiosity.

A couple years ago I did IMMT and they serve regular Gatorade on course. Seemed fine to me... also I trained with regular Gatorade that entire year (and since).

There’s even a little bit of back story. When I first started it was Gatorade since I didn’t know anything else. Went through a power bar endurance phase, and a Gu Brew (which was my favorite) until the changed the recipe. Then a couple seasons with Hammer. Also awesome. But going back to original Gatorade I felt just as good and rode just as well as I ever did on anything else. So now I just use that since it’s cheap and always easy to find.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only one that uses regular Gatorade? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think they sell Gatorade where i live. I use Isostar Endurance+.
If it works for you thoug.... Just keep using Gatorade.
According to the movie Idiocracy it's got electrolytes ! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only one that uses regular Gatorade? [Remco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remco wrote:
If it works for you thoug.... Just keep using Gatorade.

Where do you live? At least here they sell Gatorade in every grocery store and convieniance store.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it too. It's basically whats on course in many races. Simplify!

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use it all the time on longer rides - much easier to buy a bottle at a gas station to refill than tote around some specialized mix.

This article from Alex Hutchinson nails it, in my view: https://www.outsideonline.com/...o-sports-drinks-work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I buy the powder and make probably a 1/2 to 2/3 solution. Sometimes I put a tsp of table salt in the bottles too. I refuse to pay upwards of $1/bottle for fancy stuff that has never worked any better for me. To each their own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Gatorade but I always mix my own. I can buy a huge container of powder mix at Costco for under $10 that last quite a while. For long Saturday rides in a build up to an Ironman I will use the orange Gatorade Endurance powder just so I am used to the flavor on race day. I would like to use the Endurance all the time, but it is too pricey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I would like a Gatorade Endurance Zero or G2 type formula. The extra electrolytes but less carbs.

Gatorade Zero is my jam for post morning sessions.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Am I the only one that uses just regular buy it at Walmart Gatorade? Mostly out of curiosity.

A couple years ago I did IMMT and they serve regular Gatorade on course. Seemed fine to me... also I trained with regular Gatorade that entire year (and since).

There’s even a little bit of back story. When I first started it was Gatorade since I didn’t know anything else. Went through a power bar endurance phase, and a Gu Brew (which was my favorite) until the changed the recipe. Then a couple seasons with Hammer. Also awesome. But going back to original Gatorade I felt just as good and rode just as well as I ever did on anything else. So now I just use that since it’s cheap and always easy to find.

It's what I normally use these days - it works, and it's cheap and available. But I do modify it. I do about 50/50 with water, and then I add more salt. It's basically a poor version of the fancier low osmolality / high electrolyte drinks. Straight Gatorade is too sweet and concentrated for me (messes with my stomach for very high intensity work), and doesn't have enough sodium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Remco wrote:

Where do you live? At least here they sell Gatorade in every grocery store and convieniance store.

I live in the Netherlands, which is a country in northwestern europe close to germany and the UK.
There's a ton of different sportsdrinks around. The Isostar Endurance+ is a french powder product that doesn't have a lot of sugar and is pretty cheap. Also i like the taste (orange). I usually fill one bottle with Isostar and one or two bottles with water (and when really hot weather a teaspoon of salt).
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only one that uses regular Gatorade? [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Straight Gatorade is too sweet and concentrated for me (messes with my stomach for very high intensity work), and doesn't have enough sodium.

I've used gatorade yellow powder for...geez...25 years now? But, yeah...I typically go with something like 2/3rds concentration for harder efforts (OD Races). For lower intensity training rides, I'll go with straight mix. But.....

Two years ago, I mixed up some the night before a race. Somehow I got the math backwards...and ended up with 3/2 concentration. Finished the swim, and got on the bike....crested the first hill and took my first swig. Uggh! Tasted like Syrup...and felt thick, like it coated the back of my throat.

Being an Oylmpic there were no, bike-course aid stations....only in transition, and eventually on the Run course. Drank what I could manage, and grabbed some water in T2 to try and dilute what was still sloshing in my stomach. That was NOT my best run split that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No shit genius! I'd look it up on a map but I don't own one <frenchAccent>stupide américains</frenchAccent>

Remco wrote:
I live in the Netherlands, which is a country in northwestern europe close to germany and the UK.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forget; is "regular" Gatorade orange or green?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only one that uses regular Gatorade? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I forget; is "regular" Gatorade orange or green?

I should say original or quencher

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the powdered Gatorade from the super market
Last edited by: jaretj: Feb 15, 19 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only one that uses regular Gatorade? [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to do the same - fantastic bargain price and you can make it the strength you prefer. In summer season, Costco had Lemon-Lime and Orange in the 4 3/4 lb. (9 gal.) cans. Then, about three years ago, they started only carrying that awful Blue version. I have asked the local manager about it and he made inquiries. He said he was told that they sell it mostly as a drink for kids and kids prefer the blue stuff. Local Walmart still has a variety of flavors but only the smaller cans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
So now I just use that since it’s cheap and always easy to find.

Sugar. It's what a body needs...

If you really want cheap, get some generic lemonade mix and add sugar and water to taste. Now that I'm rich I just buy Gatorade... the lemon-lime flavor is the best ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remco wrote:

That was Brawndo.

Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only one that uses regular Gatorade? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Remco wrote:

That was Brawndo.

OK, Brawndo. My mistake. They don't sell that here either :-) They do have Born, SIS, Powerbar, High5, et cetera. Those are very "scientific" though and therefore not cheap.

I'm guessing that that cheap stuff is mostly or only simple sugars like fructose or glucose. Advantage of that is that it's absorbed quickly, however drinks containing more complex carbs give longer lasting energy. At least thats what the manufacturors claim. Some even add protein to prevent breakdown of muscle mass during endurance training. It's difficult to find independant studies that confirm those claims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are cheap, you can make your own custom mix. Some flavoring, sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltodextrin, protein powder, light salt (has potassium chloride and sodium chloride), etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only one that uses regular Gatorade? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
If you are cheap, you can make your own custom mix. Some flavoring, sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltodextrin, protein powder, light salt (has potassium chloride and sodium chloride), etc.

I’ve actually gone as cheap as salt, a lime wedge, and table sugar 😂😂

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
rruff wrote:

I’ve actually gone as cheap as salt, a lime wedge, and table sugar 😂😂

I do the salt and lime wedge too! Mine has a shot of Cuervo in the middle though. YMMV especially on longer efforts. Works for recovery though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, life is too short and expensive for an exotic organic artisan sports drinks filtered through a Sherpa's pack and just the right amount of pink Himalayan salt with 9.5Ph only $50 for 10 dissolvable packets.

<-Grabs Walmart $8.99 Gatorade powder tub.

Supplement extra nutrients when really required.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only one that uses regular Gatorade? [Stafford Brown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regular lemon lime powder here.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s my go to as well for training. Normal Saturday at the grocery store is seeing what sales they have on the big jugs and getting a few for Sunday’s long ride. I’m also not close to picky with nutrition. Races I use maltodextrin and EFS. Training I use water, Gatorade, pbj, stropwafles, pop tarts...really anything that tastes good and isn’t expensive. Can’t imagine going through 5-6 GUs a week on a long ride! Yuck and expensive!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next