Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Am I Beginner or Intermediate for IM 70.3?
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I just recently completed my first Olympic tri with a time of 2:35. I followed a beginner 12-week program.

I am now registered for the IM 70.3 in Oceanside and want to follow another 12-week plan. Given I am flexible on training hours - should I select a Novice or Intermediate plan for this race? Love being a part of the tri community.

I appreciate any advice/input.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Am I Beginner or Intermediate for IM 70.3? [canand22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all relative to what you've done and what you're capable of doing. Not knowing very much about the situation my advice would be to look at the intermediate plan and see how that lines up with the workouts you did in the past and see if you have the time for it. If not then go with the beginner and add to it as you see fit. Moving up to 70.3 you can do "beginner" workouts and just add time depending on your schedule, no need to over complicate things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to consider a different context to get some productive replies. Give us more about how you felt during the 12 week plan leading up to your race. Were you run down all the time? Did you think everything was too easy? What kind of volume did this plan get you up to for riding and running? What sport(s) and techniques were your limiters...? These factors will play in more crucially to how you set up your training rather than what you did performance wise in your first Olympic.

Based on what you wrote: It was your first Oly and now your first 70.3, I would er on the side of beginner, especially if the plan you used yielded a better than desired result from your first Olympic. Goal inflation is a common occurrence when you start succeeding at things, which can lead to a flat or worse than expected outcome later on. If the plan seemed way too easy, and not challenging at all, you may be fine to do the more intermediate plan.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Re: Am I Beginner or Intermediate for IM 70.3? [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Matt. Constructive response.

I followed Phil Mosley's plan. I found the plan to be a fair balance of challenging and approachable. I exceeded my expectations in terms of results for the race. Also, dropped 20 lbs while training for it.

I only felt run down during one week and that was the hardest week of the plan. I got up to running ~4mi and biking roughly 30mi during the longest sessions. Given I have had 2x reconstructive knee surgeries, I would say running can be my limiter given the distance/speed. I had no pain during my Olympic race however.

Based on your response, I think a beginner plan may best here and keep in check my progress and intensity.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I Beginner or Intermediate for IM 70.3? [mbecks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mbecks2. I agree to not over complicate things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Sticking with the beginner plan is a good idea. Take care of those knees, monitor your mileage and recovery close regards to running. And, congrats on losing the weight. Get cracking on that plan for Oceanside, have fun, and stay healthy.

Best

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with this. The run in a HIM can be pretty rough. It's gonna feel great initially, but then fatigue is going to start kicking in. Start novice and see how things go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not familiar with the Phil's plans but in general, an intermediate Olympic plan volume would typically by similar to a beginner 70.3 plan (intensities will differ). so I think a beginner 70.3 would be a good transition that would focus on increasing base mileage at lower intensities which your knees will appreciate. An intermediate 70.3 plan will assume you have the base mileage to then add in higher intensity work as well.
Quote Reply