Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alternative Non Ironman 70.3 Races
Quote | Reply
Raising this question as an off shoot of another thread.

What are the best non Ironman 70.3 races around the country? Just trying to create a definitive list for those that might be looking for a non Ironman race at this distance!

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative Non Ironman 70.3 Races [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rock n' Roll man in macon is awesome. Set-up events does a great job. Tough course made tougher by hot, humid Georgia weather. I understand the South Carolina half put on by the same group is also a great race though I've never raced it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Rev3 Knoxville half, and I thought the event was first class. Very well run, nice expo family friendly environment and definitely on par with WTC, and once they get the GPS tracker stuff up, I think they would be even better. I wouldn't hesitate to do any Rev3 event in the future.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative Non Ironman 70.3 Races [feltrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Rock n' Roll man in macon is awesome. Set-up events does a great job. Tough course made tougher by hot, humid Georgia weather. I understand the South Carolina half put on by the same group is also a great race though I've never raced it.

I did that race and agree completely. I also did the Patriot's Half in Williamsburg, VA last year put on by the same company. Also a great race but cooler weather. It's in September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muncie Endurathon, its one of the best run events you will find anywhere

Because Pirates Tri Harder - MTXE
http://www.scurvydogstriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really saying anything new here, but I'll add Musselman (Geneva, NY - Finger Lakes region) -- did that a couple of weeks ago and I recommend it highly.

Not from personal experience (yet), I believe Savageman belongs on the list too.. Weschester Toughman? ... both September races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beach2Battleship in Wilmington, NC. Another great race put on by Setup Events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Done it 3 times. It's a great race in a great venue. The bike is tough and the run can be brutal, but it's a great race. Beer after. :) And the AG awards are the best. A small guitar.

I love GCT (Gulf Coast Triathlon) too. It's a May race in PCB. HOT. Same course as IMFL and it's about half the cost of any WTC event.

I live in S. Florida and enjoy the Miami Man race. It runs though the metro zoo your never really sure who's the exhibit, you or the animals. Yes, the zoo is open. The looks you get are priceless. (Skinny dude in lycra running in the zoo????)

Or if your looking for Orlando area their is the Great Floridian. Really tough course, but Fred Sommer puts on an awesome event.

CS

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Gator Half Iron down in Sarasota this past March. If you are looking for something low-key, this is a great race at a very reasonable price.

Westchester Toughman in September is also a decent race.

Quote | Reply
http://trimapper.com/trical_rdh_na.htm

Good list...both Ironman branded races and independent...
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative Non Ironman 70.3 Races [Davelamite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto; Muncie Enduarthon since 1980

Which event in this county has been LC Worlds, LC National more time than I can remember, LC Masters Nationals, USAT Race of the Year multiple times and the international race of the year 1996...and held the 1/2 record for men and women on the same day? NONE. Period. End of contest.
It is a race for second.

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Savageman (Deep Creek Lake, Md). Although frankly it's more of an ass-kicking than a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Patriot Half in southern Massachusetts in early June and was very impressed with that race.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative Non Ironman 70.3 Races [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haaa taking my little boy to the track today to pracice for the Powerkids race! He's so excited for it!

Because Pirates Tri Harder - MTXE
http://www.scurvydogstriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trifind.com

I'll add Westchester Toughman and Rev3 in CT are great races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B2B Half
Endurathon
Mussleman
Silverman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Agree 100% that Setup does a great job. I've done the SC Half, as well as White Lake. Both good. They also did a fine job at the (inaugural) Charleston Half this year. I've heard that the Beach to Battleship Half is good, but I haven't done it (I'm doing the full this year though).

----
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative Non Ironman 70.3 Races [Experior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soma in Tempe is always a good time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muncie
Pigman
Mussleman
Breakwater (in Petoskey, MI)
Soma is pretty good, too.

I've also heard great things about Silverman, but haven't done it personally.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative Non Ironman 70.3 Races [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I did the Patriot Half in southern Massachusetts in early June and was very impressed with that race.

X2 on the Patriot Half

also add

FirmMan in RI

-------------------------------------------------
"Marco [Pantani], why are you such a strong climber? To shorten my pain".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Muncie Endurathon, its one of the best run events you will find anywhere

X9999
www.muncieendurathon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good idea.
For those West Coast people:

Pacific Crest
Wildflower is non-wtc technically.
Superfrog? haven't done it but heard it's good.

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Savageman!
2) Savageman!
3) Savageman!
4) Whatever gets you in shape for Savageman!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
willmillertriathlon.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Muncie.

Quote | Reply
I've done 4 non M-dot HIM's, and all are good (in their own ways). I'd do any/all of them again, and usually do!

Harriman Half (aka the Harryman, but I hate that name) - HILLY bike ride, HILLY run, hell, I think the swim (when it isn't cancelled) is HILLY. It's certainly cold. Smaller and lower-key than most other events. NO drafting. Great tune-up race for anybody doing LP.

Tupper Lake Tinman - been around close to 3 decades now. Well run event, usually draws 4-600 racers for the half. Fast bike course. Run course used to be fast (short), now it's maybe 2 tenths long.

Westchester Toughman - well run event, 3rd year now. Great AG winner schwag. Not a particularly fast bike course, somewhat technical and turny. Run course is tough, feels like uphill both ways. Awesome volunteer support, cheerleaders, bagpipers, bands, etc.

Demi Esprit (in MTL) - PB course. No faster venue on the planet. Swim in the Olympic rowing basin (read: big freaking pool), Ride on the F1 racetrack (read: insanely fast bike splits!!), Run on the flat trails around the rowing basin (read: no hills!).

I've heard great things about Savageman, and hope to do it someday. Ditto for REV3 Quassy. Musselman is another good one.

M.dot is HUGELY overrated for HIMs. There are numerous worthy alternatives.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next