Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk?
Quote | Reply
All I have to say is that I hope they write our ages on our calves this year so that when I pass your sorry asses you'll realize you're being lapped by somebody 20 years your senior.

Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the newer, kinder ST. Its boring.

Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With only 17 registrants, I get the impression the ITT is the red headed stepchild of AmZof and may not be smack talk worthy.
Nonetheless, in honor of Dave Roche, I will say that dreams will be crushed over the course of those 112 miles!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No pre-race smack talk here since I'm an AmZof virgin this year...

btw - is there a run course map available? I'm heading up this weekend to ride / run the course, which is intended to help me on race day but may just freak me out..!? We'll see..
Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knowing how hard it is will only make the race that much worse as a first timer.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be right.. still want to scout the bike course at least -- There's still enough time to get a different cassette if I need more suitable granny gears.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyfac06 wrote:
btw - is there a run course map available?

Directions...

Run through gazebo.
Run up hill.
Run down hill.
Jump small stream.
Run up big hill.
Run down road.
Run up bigger hill.
Aid station.
Run down road.
Zig-zag through some forest
Run up big hill.
Run down road.
Back at aid station.
Run down road.
Up and down some hills
Across another stream and some wood planks.
Up and down some more hills
Run across a field.
Run up hill to gazebo.
Repeat.

Or something like that. Memory is a bit fuzzy.

blog
twitter
Last edited by: Bell Head: Apr 29, 11 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ so the ITT was a wise choice ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bell Head wrote:
cyfac06 wrote:

Directions...

Run through gazebo.
Run up hill.
Run down hill.
Jump small stream.
Run up big hill.
Run down road.
Run up bigger hill.
Aid station.
Run down road.
Run up big hill.
Run down road.
Back at aid station.
Run down road.
Up and down some hills
Run across a field.
Run up hill to gazebo.
Repeat.

That's pretty much it. And it's kinda like a figure 8 because you hit the same aid station twice. Don't turn while you're drinking at the aid station or you will forget which way you came from and then you will have to grovel to the aid station ladies to point you in the right direction. Be really nice to the aid station ladies or else they will send you back the way you came and you REALLY don't want to do a double loop.

and DO NOT LOOK AT THE INUKSHUK COLLECTIVE AT ~ MILE4. The COLLECTIVE has special Medusa-like powers that will turn your legs into stone.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
knowing how hard it is will only make the race that much worse as a first timer.

Yeah, you really don't want to know about the run course. Dave Roche told me last year, it's a bunch of wide open carriage trails, really soft under foot, you can really make up speed there.

I didn't hear the end of that sentence which was "for about 5% of the run course".
Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [Cassie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cassie wrote:
and DO NOT LOOK AT THE INUKSHUK COLLECTIVE AT ~ MILE4. The COLLECTIVE has special Medusa-like powers that will turn your legs into stone.

So that's what happened to me. Good to know!

blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyfac06 wrote:
You may be right.. still want to scout the bike course at least -- There's still enough time to get a different cassette if I need more suitable granny gears.

An 11-23 with a 39 tooth upfront and you should be fine.

Also an Amzof newby. Was thinking about Amzof this morning on my way to work...not a good sign. The phrase that stuck in my head was 'am I going to regret this?'. I like the pleasure/pain trade-off to lean more towards pleasure. I'm not going to get that on the 15th and have come to grips with it so if I'm going to hurt I will take pleasure in knowing everyone else will too.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [Natrl DIZZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Natrl DIZZ wrote:
Also an Amzof newby. Was thinking about Amzof this morning on my way to work...not a good sign. The phrase that stuck in my head was 'am I going to regret this?'. I like the pleasure/pain trade-off to lean more towards pleasure. I'm not going to get that on the 15th and have come to grips with it so if I'm going to hurt I will take pleasure in knowing everyone else will too.

all joking aside......I'm the same way, but seriously, after AmZof so early in the season, NOTHING scares you for the rest of the season. I had more self-confidence in every race for the rest of the summer, than I have ever felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [Cassie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There ya go... the idea behind doing AmZof was both to the experience the spectacle first hand and then to challenge myself to be in better shape earlier in the season. If I'm still alive on May 16th, I'm figuring I'll be good to go for Eagleman, Philly OLY, Musselman Half and whatever else the season brings..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only smack I can really even think about talking at this point is the great big AmZof smack in the ass I'm waiting to get on May 15th.

I'll tell you what I remember from last years LC: on lap two of the run, after 84 miles hills (you have to understand there are no down hills only up hills on the bike) I remember stumbling along, mumbling non sense to myself in a vane attempt to remain sane and repress all the ugliness in my soul that AmZof was bringing to bare. I only regained some small senblance of sanity after trudging up the dreaded gazebo stairs and quaffing down some therapeutic Keegan's ambrosia.

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [baxnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
let's not be ridiculous...an 11-23 with a 53-39 is more than enough gears

...when going downhill.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could come up right after finals, and have such a huge lead from the trail runs that I would win the thing by spending the entire ride standing-up on ML's bike. Standing-up is necessary because his custom P4 has the saddle removed for less resistance. As an added bonus, it allows him to mix business with pleasure.

You guys are all going to be awesome! Wish I was racing just to hang out :)

------
David Roche
Some Work, All Play podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ll-play/id1521532868
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bell Head wrote:
cyfac06 wrote:

Directions...

Run through gazebo.
Run up hill.
Run down hill.
Jump small stream.
Run up big hill.
Run down road.
Run up bigger hill.
Aid station.
Run down road.
Run up big hill.
Run down road.
Back at aid station.
Run down road.
Up and down some hills
Run across a field.
Run up hill to gazebo.
Repeat.

The only changes to the run course this year are, there currently is a LOT of standing (and in some cases, moving) water on the course, in some unusual spots.
Like, the field below the gazebo had an inch or 2 of water on it. As did quite a few other spots.
There are also 2 trees down on the run course, one right at the turn where you come off the carriage road to the singletrack to go up towards Bonticou, and one really big one a bit further along before the really steep part.

Chris G and I did a recon mission there today, banged out 2 bike laps and one lap of the run. It was lovely, great day.
Then 3 for a PB at the Otter afterwards.

PS - Please place all of your dreams in a pile near the gazebo, to simplify the crushing process. Thank you.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [baxnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baxnelly wrote:
cyfac06 wrote:

An 11-23 with a 39 tooth upfront and you should be fine.

Please allow myself, to driveby myself...

Did 2 laps today, all climbing seated in the 39x23.
Kids - don't try this at home!!! (definitely don't try it on raceday. That'd be ugly.)

Hit 50 on the descent from the Mtn House too. Zoom zoom! : )

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Chris G and I did a recon mission there today, banged out 2 bike laps and one lap of the run. It was lovely, great day.

awwwwwww.....how bromantic!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yer just jealous, ya big fat crip! Hey, when in New Paltz...

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Almost 2 weeks to American Zofingen and no smack talk? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't go out for 1 GD night of drinking and this is how ChrisG treats me...by biking with another man the next day...and then drinking with him after!!! oh the horror!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Did 2 laps today, all climbing seated in the 39x23.

Training for the short course are you?

blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
The only changes to the run course this year are, there currently is a LOT of standing (and in some cases, moving) water on the course, in some unusual spots. Like, the field below the gazebo had an inch or 2 of water on it. As did quite a few other spots.

I definitely do not recall signing a waiver agreeing to get my shoes dirty and my feet wet. I have a pedicure to maintain.

All you locals get out there with your shop vacs and clean that up, eh???
Quote Reply

Prev Next