Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Allergic to chlorine?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else had problems with an allergic reaction (sinus) to the chlorine in public pools? Every time I go to a swim workout I can't breathe through my nose for two days afterwards (this makes consecutive day swims a joy). Is there any way to deal with this, short of noseplugs?

Thanks,

mp
Quote Reply
Re: Allergic to chlorine? [tritoronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem.Finally gave up and started using noseplugs.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get headaches and congestion after a pool swim, but since I started using a noseclip, no problems whatsoever. Yeah, I felt kind of geeky at first, but I got over it. The competition style (no strap) by either TYR or Speedo goes for $3-$5, a small price to pay to be able to breathe the next day.

Dave in WI
-----------------------------------------------------
"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore" - Wilco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I suffer from this problem as well. On one occasion, the chlorine irritated my sinus whicht in turn caused an inflammation. Three days later I develop an infection that spread into my inner ear. When the swimming coach phoned to ask why I have not attended a session, he was not surprised at all that I had a problem an inner ear infection because of the pool. I did not want to stop training for triathlon, and nowadays I use nose plugs - I am not aware there is any other solution. Whenever it is possible I go to swim in the sea where I can get rid of those plugs.

Paula

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try using a saline nose spray immediately after getting out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flonase worked for me but at $10/mo (based on my insurance) is a more expensive option than nose plugs.
Quote Reply