Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alberto Salazar receives 4 year ban from Athletics
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar receives 4 year ban from Athletics [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This would be in the same category of any protour team director getting a ban. Nothing to see, its just who gets banned and when and who escapes under the radar. Now imagine if USADA was all over the NFL or NBA, it would be a free for all, but they are not signatories.
Fuze
calling...
Can't complete call
We're sorry about that. Please try again or contact support if you continue to have issues.
CancelRetry
[/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude used his own kids to experiment on. As a father I find that appalling. I'd never put a banned substance on any of my children for any reason, ever, period

Excerpt:

The Gatlin case involved testosterone so we decided to see if rubbing Androgel on an athlete after a race could cause a positive test. Dr. Jeffery Brown set up the experiment. Existing medical literature indicated that eight squirts of Androgel would cause a marked increase in male hormones within 15 minutes of being placed on the skin. Eight squirts, however, is a lot of Androgel and would be clearly noticed by the person on which it was being rubbed. The experiment was designed to see if lower amounts, which the athlete may not notice being applied could trigger a positive test. The subjects for the experiment were my sons, who are the same approximate age as typical elite athletes and are in good physical condition. But are not elite athletes subject to USADA or any other elite testing pool.

Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar receives 4 year ban from Athletics [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, you're saying that one of the biggest coaches, personalities, and names in the entire sport of running receiving a 4 year ban is...yawn?

It is absolutely not the same as "any protour team director" getting a ban.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, this is huge, and not in a good way. Unsurprising, but catastrophic nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes and it makes results by his athletes suspect.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does the ban actually mean? Can he pull a Sutto and coach "privately" under the table?

Or are athletes going to be sanctioned if they are associated with him?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Wait, you're saying that one of the biggest coaches, personalities, and names in the entire sport of running receiving a 4 year ban is...yawn?

How is elite track any different from elite cycling. Lots of podiums to win, lots of glory to get, lots of egos at stack, margins between winning and losing = razor thin. So why would track be any cleaner than cycling (or NFL or NBA).

Exhibit A from 1988 in case anyone forgot about the legacy of doping in track:

Fuze
calling...
Can't complete call
We're sorry about that. Please try again or contact support if you continue to have issues.
CancelRetry
[/url]

From this image only Robson Da Silva and Calvin Smith are purported to be clean. Ray Stewart in last pace here with a blown hamstring architected lots of doping subsequently in Jamaican sprinting. Soooo, it all feels like a yawn especially when a coach who was an elite athlete during the same era is busted!!!!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 1, 19 5:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the rumors over the years, long overdue and not surprising, but still sad for me who clearly remembers watching Salazar apparently break the world best time for the marathon at NYC in '81.

Deservedly or not, certainly much bigger news in the U.S. than a pro cycling team director receiving a four-year ban.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 30, 19 18:33
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar receives 4 year ban from Athletics [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
From the rumors over the years, long overdue and not surprising, but still sad for me who clearly remembers watching Salazar apparently break the world best time for the marathon at NYC in '81.

Deservedly or not, certainly much bigger news in the U.S. than a pro cycling team director receiving a four-year ban.

Here you go. I THINK Salazar was on bread and water for this

I think his own propensity to go till he was broken lead him to explore all the other avenues to enhance recovery while sustaining high training loads when he became a coach. Until of course all avenues goes to the grey zone and the red zone. Its pretty well gotten to the point that in all pro sport coaches/orgs are pushing the limit of what they can get away with as "table stakes" and the "informal rules of engagements" because if your team is not, there is a group in Iten Kenya doing exactly that (for distance running) or there is a group in Almaty doing that (cycling) etc etc. For pointy end big money pro sport, being a choir boy just gets you fired for finishing in the group of losers. I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying it is what it is.

The only way around this is banning entire national teams or pro teams for the transgressions of anyone on their squad. As soon as you ban everyone because one person played hanky panky, then it all cleans up in a hurry.

Imagine if all of Norway got banned from XC skiing because Therese Johaug's positive (and her pathetic claim of using a lip balm with a banned substance)...then suddenly the entire place cleans up in a hurry. And the way to do this is to get the entire country or pro team off the hook if an athlete or coach outs someone. If the Anti doping agency busts a person or coach, the entire org goes done....then the organization will self correct.

The current system of giving Alberto a ban does not clean up an entire system. The guys in Iten are probably laughing that USADA just made it easier for them to win more track events!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 30, 19 19:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thing there aren’t any top Kona contenders with ties to doping. How did we get so lucky in triathlon!?

And four years is a joke. Take a stance and give him a lifetime ban.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar receives 4 year ban from Athletics [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Probably not - https://www.si.com/...he-fda--have-doubts/
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 30, 19 19:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Fuze
calling...
Can't complete call
CancelRetry
[/url]

when are you going to fix this from being on every post of yours?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About damn time!
there has so much smoke concealing the fire around that dude for so long.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar receives 4 year ban from Athletics [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Probably not -https://www.si.com/...he-fda--have-doubts/[/quote[/url]]

Haha....I was pointing the title sponsor Perrier (the "water" part of the bread and water reference)!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with James, he’s been one of the biggest names in track in the past decade. Probably the most talked about and well known track coach of this century. His athletes have won 5 gold medals, a silver and a bronze. Not to mention tons of national records and world championship medals. Most people can’t name a single pro tour director

Kara Goucher must be popping champagne right now

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happens now with Nike, and their athletes. Rupp, Halsey, Centrowitz, etc. If Salazar is guilty so are his athletes I guess.

Another link here

https://www.runnersworld.com/...-salazar-doping-ban/

And yes 4 years is a joke. Just goes to show that USADA and WADA are only in this as a self perpetuating machinery of PR and news (catch a few, give them symbolic bans and keep the shop working). If they were serious about ending doping they would start handing life time bans (ala Lance).
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar receives 4 year ban from Athletics [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Centrowitz jumped ship last year and joined Bowerman.
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar receives 4 year ban from Athletics [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Dude used his own kids to experiment on. As a father I find that appalling. I'd never put a banned substance on any of my children for any reason, ever, period

Excerpt:

The Gatlin case involved testosterone so we decided to see if rubbing Androgel on an athlete after a race could cause a positive test. Dr. Jeffery Brown set up the experiment. Existing medical literature indicated that eight squirts of Androgel would cause a marked increase in male hormones within 15 minutes of being placed on the skin. Eight squirts, however, is a lot of Androgel and would be clearly noticed by the person on which it was being rubbed. The experiment was designed to see if lower amounts, which the athlete may not notice being applied could trigger a positive test. The subjects for the experiment were my sons, who are the same approximate age as typical elite athletes and are in good physical condition. But are not elite athletes subject to USADA or any other elite testing pool.

While I think using your children crosses an ethical boundary, this reads more like they're adults and able to make an informed consent, at least to me. That does hinge on how old this sons are. Hard to tell exactly what "...the same age as typical elite athlete are..." means.

Edit: I got this way wrong.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Oct 2, 19 7:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Fuze
calling...
Can't complete call
CancelRetry
[/url]

How is elite track any different from elite cycling. Lots of podiums to win, lots of glory to get, lots of egos at stack, margins between winning and losing = razor thin. So why would track be any cleaner than cycling (or NFL or NBA).

Exhibit A from 1988 in case anyone forgot about the legacy of doping in track:

Fuze
calling...
Can't complete call
CancelRetry
[/url]

From this image only Robson Da Silva and Calvin Smith are purported to be clean. Ray Stewart in last pace here with a blown hamstring architected lots of doping subsequently in Jamaican sprinting. Soooo, it all feels like a yawn especially when a coach who was an elite athlete during the same era is busted!!!!

Fuse
calling...
Fuse
calling...
Fuse
calling...

Etc
Etc
Etc
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar receives 4 year ban from Athletics [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think dev needs to contact fuze support or something:

https://help.fuze.com/hc/en-us
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is he guilty of doping charges, but nothing against any of his athletes? Seems like any doping suspension for a coach would require at least one athlete to also be banned? Unless this announcement is only the beginning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll still enjoy watching the athletics this week.

Last night was great - it's what athletics should be about - the mens 5k, womens steeplechase, womens high jump - all brilliant to watch.

Were some / all of the athletes on banned drugs? I've no idea, and it's got to the stage where I don't really care - I can't do anything about it, and the performances are great. I have to leave it to those in charge to set and enforce the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He also coached a certain Brit that missed the Olympic Final then went onto smashing everyone for 8 years. Including running a 3.28 1500m while being a 10k runner!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next