Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great story. Nice to see some inspiring chap like Axel. See you in nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m glad he got a world champs spot.

If he didn’t he should have been given one.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done to him!

I am a little surprised however that many people seem to think it special or unusual that he stopped, I'm also surprised by the comment in the interview that approx 20 others DIDN'T stop. Surely most people would prioritise checking a fellow competitior was okay over saving a minute or so on their bike split? I find that very disappointing :(
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is sad but I am not surprised, there is a selfishness around us, plus unawareness. Every day at the cross walk at our school I watch cars driving by even though kids are standing there waiting to get across, often ignoring the crossing guard too when they are there.

In swimrun races we actually specifically address this topic in addition to “not littering” and “courtesy to other trail users, volunteers and competitors”

“If you see a team in trouble ahead of you, this is not your chance to gain a spot in the race, but this is your chance to be a good human being.”
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Well done to him!

I am a little surprised however that many people seem to think it special or unusual that he stopped, I'm also surprised by the comment in the interview that approx 20 others DIDN'T stop. Surely most people would prioritise checking a fellow competitior was okay over saving a minute or so on their bike split? I find that very disappointing :(

I think often times people assume somebody else will take care of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like that he only chooses triathlons with challenging hilly bike courses because he hates drafting in races so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but this is your chance to be a good human being.

Still can't find that "Like" button!

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I like that he only chooses triathlons with challenging hilly bike courses because he hates drafting in races so much.

I could totally enjoying having a few beers with this guy!
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the MTB races and trail runs that I do almost everyone that is pulled over gets the "Are you ok?" from riders going by. I have seen quite a few hand over an extra tube to someone with a flat. I don't get why triathletes aren't like that. Maybe it has something to with the fact that mountain bikers are just that much more awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [Mtbdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danke, Axel.

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Well done to him!

I would have 100% stopped... and have. Syracuse 70.3 in 2010. A female competitor about 200 feet in front of me passed out while on the bike. She luckily just drifted off the side of the road and crashed into the grass. She snapped back to consciousness right after she hit the ground. All things considered it was the best crash an unconscious person could hope for. I stopped and asked her if she was okay. She felt like she was and wanted to get back on her bike and continue. I told her not to do that because she was extremely lucky that the crash wasn't a thousand times worse, and passing out was not a good sign. At this point a couple of other people had rolled up and also stopped. I recall one of them being a nurse. There were a couple of police officers manning an intersection about 1/4 mile away that I could see up the road. I rode up there and told them to radio for medical help, and continued on my merry way.

Don't be a dick. Just stop and see what you can do.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 10, 19 15:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great story!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Well done to him!

I think after 1 or 2 people stop unless you are actually a medically qualified person, it’s pointless to stop.

But absolutely if you are first there, no matter what your skills are, you bloody stop.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likewise, two riders ahead of me went down in my A race in 2017. I don't know what happened to the first but he went sliding down the road and the second hit his bike and went down horribly.
I just had time to slow enough to weave between them. I stopped, went back and checked they were both okay-ish. Luckily for me a bike marshall came along only a minute or so later and I got back on my bike. So it didn't cost me much time.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. No point everyone stopping unless they have more to offer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are not a medical person, why would you stop? Why do we presume that if you don't stop, that you are selfish? A friend of mine crashed in a triathlon years ago, severely injured his back, and a large guy stopped and tried to pick him up and .... caused further damage. But hey he stopped, so I guess that makes him a "great guy". I would be absolutely useless if I stopped by to "help" someone ... but folks would think a was "nice" at least.

I guess what I am more concerned about is the virtue signaling and the presumption that if you don't stop, your selfish ... and if you do, you're a great person. I mean, what exactly did this age grouper do that "helped" the fallen athlete - article does not say.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Well done to him!

I think after 1 or 2 people stop unless you are actually a medically qualified person, it’s pointless to stop.

But absolutely if you are first there, no matter what your skills are, you bloody stop.

Yes, this.

If you’re the first on scene, you stop.

Otherwise, unless you’re an EMT or MD, you’re just adding to the crowd of unqualified people getting in the way of those who can actually help.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
PJC wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Well done to him!

Yes, this.

If you’re the first on scene, you stop.

Otherwise, unless you’re an EMT or MD, you’re just adding to the crowd of unqualified people getting in the way of those who can actually help.

Ok, so you're first on the scene, and you are not a medical professional ... so now what? I guess you hold there hand and say nice encouraging things. Or you ride until you see a motorcycle, or aid station and let them know a person is down (less heroic, though).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everybody. Very kind!

I did not want to portray myself as saint, I hope I didn’t.

Also I didn’t want to put blame on those who didn’t stop. They were closer to him when he fell and had less time to decide what to do. Also they might have thought he would get up again soon.

I had more time to watch and see that he was too much in pain to get up.

Axel
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p3 wrote:
If you are not a medical person, why would you stop? Why do we presume that if you don't stop, that you are selfish? A friend of mine crashed in a triathlon years ago, severely injured his back, and a large guy stopped and tried to pick him up and .... caused further damage. But hey he stopped, so I guess that makes him a "great guy". I would be absolutely useless if I stopped by to "help" someone ... but folks would think a was "nice" at least.

I guess what I am more concerned about is the virtue signaling and the presumption that if you don't stop, your selfish ... and if you do, you're a great person. I mean, what exactly did this age grouper do that "helped" the fallen athlete - article does not say.

Obviously he shouldn't have picked him up, but what if stopping helps keep the person calm or prevents them from going into shock? Maybe they need CPR? Or, they crash andcan't reach their phone to call for help, you wouldn't be able to do that? If you would be useless in helping someone in a minor bike accident how would you be able to help a family member of the need arose?
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so you're first on the scene, and you are not a medical professional

------

Like learning to swim, I wish everyone would atleast know basic cpr/first aid.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: May 10, 19 21:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know about the US, but in Denmark you’re required by law to help people in life threatening distress (with some exceptions). Punishable with fine or prison up to 3 months.

If you’re the first person on the scene and don’t know first aid you can still help: secure the scene so the person is not hit by other cars or bikes, call for help, etc.

A few years back I crashed and fractured my femur on a training ride; I am very thankful that people stopped and helped me instead of just assuming I would get up and ride on.
Quote Reply

Prev Next