Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerospoke wheels?
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there familiar with Aerospoke wheels?

http://www.aerospoke.com/index.html

I'm looking for a nice inexpensive, reliable front race wheel to go with my Renn disk, and these look promising. How do they compare to the more popular front wheels out there?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerospoke wheels? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you serious?

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do a google search on them and you will see . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had an aerospoke front tubular for a while. same situation as yourself, i was looking for an inexpensive front aero wheel to go with my rear specialized trispoke. now keep in mind, this is my opinion and mine alone, i thought the aerospoke was pretty much just what i said above: an inexpensive front aero wheel. nothing more. it was very heavy (i didn't actually weigh them, but felt about as heavy as the rear trispoke, which a front wheel really doesn't need to be). i guess i wasn't particularly UNhappy with it, but i didn't like it enough to hold on to it for more than 1 season. i think there are better options out there for just a little more money. if you're matching it with a renn disk, i would say hold on for a while and keep your eye out for something second hand.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one other thing. i once e-mailed them to ask about any aero data they had or if they had ever wind tunnel tested their wheels. i received what i thought was a somewhat snarky reply something to the effect of: we don't do wind tunnel testing, our wheels are tested in the real world. maybe i was being over sensitive, but that sounded like a canned cop-out answer to me.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: Aerospoke wheels? [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked the website and they list the weights of the road wheels as such:

700c Clincher:

front- 1274g

rear- 1440g

650c Clincher:

front- 1200g

rear- 1380g

Ok, but I don't know if that is heavy or not for an aero wheel. Maybe someone can educate me cause this looks like a good option for my 650c tribike. I don't have the $$ for Hed or Zipp, but I would like a more aero set of wheels than my Rigida DP-18s.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heavy junk. The front wheel weighs as much as an entire set of Zipp 303s. The rear wheel weighs as much as a set of Zipp 404s. Bearings are second rate compared to the rest of the industry. In short, you will not be happy pairing one with a nicely built wheel like the Renn. In this case, you get what you pay for. . .and that's if you are lucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Money would be better spent on a Nimble Fly or building a low-spoke count Velocity rim with an ultegra or Dura Ace hub. Just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerospoke wheels? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all! I guess I'll save the money and wait 'til I can afford a Hed3 or Alps. I'll just race with my Rolf Vector Pro on the front for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set and I love them . They are BOMB proof, very heavy. I love to use them for my winter riding, I put wide tires on them and ride gravel roads, I use them early spring while I'm getting in shape. You can buy them used very cheap. I bought the set with tires and a dura-ace cassette for $125 no shipping!
When riding them I always have an excuse on the hills " these #%** wheels are soooo heavy"
Quote Reply