Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerojacket friendly 25mm wide 32 spoke rims?
Quote | Reply
I've been looking into putting my powertap hub on a wider rim so I can enjoy 25s in training and put on an aerojacket for race day. The challenge is finding one that has 32 holes. I initially found Ruff's mention of the Pacenti SL23 (V2) and Kinlin XC-279 rims which are 25 and 23mm wide respectively. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...enti%20sl23#p4728301

I'm hoping to go 25 rather than 23.

I was pretty excited about the Pacenti, but have since found grounds for concern. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AulF39ODk and also on the Pacenti website they talk about trading in old SL23 due to something like "customer service issues."

I see Flo also sells their rims which are 25mmish wide, but more heavy.

What are people's thoughts:
1. Are Pacenti SL23 (V2) junk rims?
2. Are there other options in the 25mm width that would accommodate an aerojacket?
3. Do I have to just settle with 23mm?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Aerojacket friendly 25mm wide 32 spoke rims? [lazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed Belgium C+ is 25mm wide. Available in 32h. $150/rim.
FLO 30 is 24mm wide. Available in 32h. $40.

I have both. Like them both. No preference. The FLO saves a couple hundred bucks and will likely let you trim the cover and save a little weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerojacket friendly 25mm wide 32 spoke rims? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,

I am very tempted by the $40 Flo rim. I've also been continuing to dig into the Pacenti rim, and it looks like the V2 really did clear up the issues regarding pulled spokes and hard to fit tires. Including the He'd Belgium C2 +, it's great to see there are some good options out there. A few months ago I was digging around and couldn't find anything.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing also exactly that - riding with a Hed Belgium C2 Plus with powertap hub and putting a wheel cover on for time trials.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're on the right path with a HED Belgium or Flo 30 rim. The Aforce AL33 rim (very similar to the Flo 30) is also hard to ignore for being 10-15% lighter than the Flo 30.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Velocity Quill rims. I just had them build a set of wheels that are nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerojacket friendly 25mm wide 32 spoke rims? [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinlin XR31T, a 25mm wide, 31mm deep aluminum rim. Another good choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerojacket friendly 25mm wide 32 spoke rims? [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, some great choices here!
Quote Reply
Re: Aerojacket friendly 25mm wide 32 spoke rims? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I think you're on the right path with a HED Belgium or Flo 30 rim. The Aforce AL33 rim (very similar to the Flo 30) is also hard to ignore for being 10-15% lighter than the Flo 30.

I’ve seen those with internal nipples too. Not a bad choice for a front training/high wind rim tbh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Aerojacket friendly 25mm wide 32 spoke rims? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh the horrors! Schrader valve?!

That rim would win the cheapest rim award, but not too light for being so shallow. You think it’d work with an aerojacket?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's 20g lighter than the Flo 30s (550 vs 570). Not sure on the aerojacket, but at the price it would be worth checking IMO.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point, it is lighter and cheaper than the flo... I’ll ask wheelbuilder
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, it's 20gms lighter. But at 15.1mm, it's half the rim depth. I'd be surprised if there's enough room for a cover. I suspect, but don't know that schraeder tubes will be more than 20gms heavier than a presta tube. If your front wheel is presta, then you'll be carrying 2 types of tubes. That's more weight and more to think about if you flat in a race. You're overthinking this.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerojacket friendly 25mm wide 32 spoke rims? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a presta tube in a schrader rim without any problems. If you tighten the valve nut down enough the tube shouldn't move.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what people have suggested put together in a chart. Wider 32 spoke and aerojacket friendly alum rims. The price is what I've found online. Some may be cheaper.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One important note regarding Hed Belgium C+ - if you go that route you need to have the covers drilled and use the fasteners that come with it. I prefer to tape them to the rim but the coating on the Hed Belgium rims does not allow the tape to stick. Tried a few different tapes and the cover comes off otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up, Flo 30s are out of stock and they are not planning on restocking them.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sticks. I had seen the Flo30's at $40 and thought that was too good a deal to be true. There was one 32 spoke left a few days ago and I was thinking about just buying since it was so cheap. I was deterred by the weight.

Tri-Bum had made the good suggestion of the Velocity Quill. They are my favorite on the list.

Maybe your best best is the Aforce AL33 which Dangle suggested. They claim better aero than the Flo30, see below:

Quote Reply