Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero textiles used on Tris suits, info?
Quote | Reply
With the Tour rolling thru, I remembered the ban of the vortex suit a couple years ago.

This sparked my interest and I recently went down a rabbit hole looking at the different types of textiles different companies use on the sleeves of their trisuits. These fabrics when used around the sleeves created turbulence decreasing drag (am I getting this right?).

Most suits like bioracer, fusion, Huub, and many many others use the "striped" textile fabrics on the sleeves of their suits. Some only use it on the sleeves, while others like Roka also use it on the chest and back. Orca and Ryzon seem to have a honeycomb pattern. The honeycomb, which in enlarged pictures are actually fairly different from one another. From personal experience Kiwami also have different textile on the sleeves.

Of course there's more to it when it comes to a trisuit(comfort, support, pockets, etc) and the decision of picking one.

But Im assuming only a handful of mills make these specialty textiles, so any insider care to share who makes these textiles, what sort of R&D process goes into making them, and of course which are the best from various standards(aero, compression, hydrophobic)?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero textiles used on Tris suits, info? [zinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tested a variety of texturing for some companies. Not sure who makes the material though.

If it was me and I was coming out with a suit I'd design a suit with 3 or 4 different texturing patterns then test those against each other.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero textiles used on Tris suits, info? [zinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My impression is that there are a couple of companies making the material and everyone else is stitching it together using their own recipe The striped material that everyone is using for sleeves and socks is a good example.

Castelli does some really cool custom fabric textures. Endura did the chevron patterned materials, and you should check out the AeroCoach/NoPinz work on directional fabrics. These are the three companies that seem to be capable/interested in really exploiting the surface technologies.
Quote Reply