Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero drink systems
Quote | Reply
I am trying to decide on the best drink system for an Ironman.

To my mind you have a number choices all of which claim to save time which is equally nearly always disputed by one person or another. The systems are:

1. Standard twin bottles on a frame tube, claimed to save you time with a round tubed bike, but to cost time with an aero tubed bike. (What about the old Campag aero bottles? If I were Campy I would reintroduce them to fit a standard cage and sponsor an Ironman event! It wouldn't take long for everybody to start using them).

2. Bottles behind the seat, claimed to save time especially if low down, disputed and quoted as costing 3 mins in drag (aside from reaching or the bottle!) over 112 miles.

3. Front mounted systems, some say they are fast some say they are slow especially due to the drag from the straw. I seem to remember a profile front mounted drink system being banned, was it due to an unfair aero advantage?

4. Camel back, very fast due to aero shape but to hard to fill on the fly and too heavy to carry all you require for 5 hours of cycling.

5. Concealed systems, such as in the CAT bikes with an internal bladder, and that straw again.

6. Never reach systems, reported as saving two minutes over an Ironman, but damn ugly.

The ideal system may not even exist I am just interested to hear your points of view.

Cheers AndyA
Quote Reply
Re: Aero drink systems [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the admitedly ugly Never-Reach with my energy mixture du jour, and a seat tube mounted bottle with just water. This way I can stay down when I drink from the energy mixture, and I can swap out my water bottle for more water on the course. And a seat-tube mounted bottle doesn't detract from the aerodynamics of an "aero" downtubed bike. Some tests even show a benefit from the seat-tube mounted bottle...maybe because of the sheilding effect it provides the rear wheel.

I also mount my wireless computer on the rear wheel...which necessitates mounting my computer on the top tube (I make sure it doesn't get in the way of my knees) to receive the speed impulses. I don't know why it won't pick up the speed from the rear wheel when mounted on the handlebars...it picks up the cadence from that far away! Oh, well!

None of this is going to make much of a difference to me, but, it's fun to play with...and if you can be a little more aero, why not be?

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero drink systems [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using the same setup at Wildflower this weekend: NeverReach full of Accelerade, and seat-tube bottle with water for drinking with gu and Clif bars. This has worked well for me on the few training rides I've taken it on so far.

As far as computers go, I just switched to the Cateye Astrale. This has wired speed and cadence which both run off the rear wheel. I did this primarily so that I'd have speed info while riding on the trainer, but the other bonus is that both sensors are on the left chainstay so the fork is clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for standard twin bottles on the frame first, then behind the saddle systems. This is not only based on aerodyanmics (which I am admittedly not entirely well versed on) but also on practicalities and ease of use. Although we saell lots of them I am not a huge Jetstream fan. I just don't like that thing up there full of water. Just my .02 cents. I'm old school.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aero drink systems [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just recently bought a Jestream bottle. The big advantage of this bottle is that I drink very regulary. Something I forget sometimes. I don't know how aero it is.
Spare water is behind the saddle.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gaining/Losing 2 minutes over 112 miles is worthless if you are lying on the ground writhing with cramps and spasms because you did not drink enough. Use whatever system that you will drink from the most. If you will drink the same from all the systems, the next priority is safety i.e. don't launch bottles, don't weave all over the road trying to get to your drink, etc.
Quote Reply
Another Never Reach [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tested the Never Reach on a century ride last week, and I really liked it. Just seeing the looks on the faces of 300 roadies was worth the price! Sure, it's funny looking but then again so are the clothes we wear in triathlon. The only negative is that it is kind of a pain to take it on and off for cleaning. I have no idea whether it is really faster than other systems but I can tell you it is a great way to make sure you stay hydrated on a long ride. The reservoir holds more than twice as much as a front mounted system. I also found it easier to refill on the fly than I thought it would be. Also, you have to be sure to swing your leg higher than normal on the dismount or you'll smack the thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been going through the same thought process as you, but being fairly anal about these things, I've bought most of the systems you describe, and have been experimenting. I now own a NeverREach, frame mounted cages, a camelback, both a profile & jetstream bar mounted bottle, and a bag that hangs under your saddle with a bottle in it & a tube that run up like a Camelback.

My original plan was to use the NeverReach like YaquiC describes. I was going to put my drink mixture in that and would just use a frame mounted bottle for plain water. I really like the NR system, but unfortunately, I don't like how it feels on my Softride. I don't like the way it makes the beam feel to have all that liquid sloshing around behind the seat. Also, there isn't much behind the seat space on a SR, so the NR takes away all my storage space for extra tire, cO2, etc. I should add however, that if I was riding a traditional double diamond bike, this is likely the option I would use.

My current plan is to use a frame mounted cage with a 24oz bottle of my concentrated calorie/electrolyte mixture. I'll then use either my profile or jetstream bar mounted bottle with plain water. I can refill the water at aid stations and can keep an extra drink mix at special needs (or just supplement with gels and bars).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use a front mount. Not again this year. Two reasons - #1 it messes w/the handling. Take your bike around a tighter corner at say 15-20mph with and then again w/o a full "aero" bottle. You'll see. Reason #2 - I crashed last year while refilling one of those things. Trying to strip the top off of a G'ade bottle and pour it into a Jetstream on the fly in the rain is dangerous. It probably cost me a Kona slot. never again. Before triathlon I drank from frame mounted bottles just fine for many years. I'm going back to the basics.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply