Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero bar assistance
Quote | Reply
I'm finally getting round to putting outdoor miles on my tri bike and being brutally honest... Using the aero bars frightens the everloving shit outta me. Aside from practice and HTFU, what tips do people have for getting more comfortable (and stable) riding in aero?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bar assistance [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice from starting this year, as above +

• 5:30 starts - nice roads.
• Don't get death grip.
• Ride roads you know so you are not surprised by grids, potholes etc.
• Practice getting on and off them quickley so when you really need to get off them quick, it comes naturally and without a panic and / or swerve.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What exactly about it bothers you? Being away from the brakes? Or do you feel unstable?

Keep in mind that a bike is much more stable at speed, so don't get so "cautious" that you slow to a track stand. Relax your upper body, steer with your hips, and enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd start in areas that are "easy" wide open flats, especially false flat down hills. Just glide for a bit, add some pedaling, add some shifting, then before you know it you'll feel at home in the aero.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ride, and it will work itself out. I got my first TT bike this year, after riding about 1,000 miles on a trainer this year and a few outdoor miles on a road bike. My first time on the aero bars scared the crap out of me. I was weaving all over the road. Just do a few long rides (as in >50 miles) on a clear road, and it will be OK. I am very fortunately that I have a good rails to trails road to use. And, I will not pass anyone on the road in the aero drops-- I come up out of aero for any other biker or pedestrian traffic.

I would not try to get my aero chops on a public road with traffic. That would have totally freaked me out forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ride a rollertrainer in the aerobars using them outside feels like a cakewalk in comparison.
Otherwise - empty and straight road in good condition with no traffic, and it will feel safe in no time.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bar assistance [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
What exactly about it bothers you? Being away from the brakes? Or do you feel unstable?

Keep in mind that a bike is much more stable at speed, so don't get so "cautious" that you slow to a track stand. Relax your upper body, steer with your hips, and enjoy.

I'm not worried about being away from the brakes, at least not at this time. The biggest issue is feeling unstable. I have discovered the importance of looking where you want the bike to go, though!

I do try to keep it in the 14-16mph range for practicing because of the faster-is-safer thing! I'm practicing on the longest, flattest, straightest, least-used stretch of road I have available to me.

I think also that have trouble keeping my pedal stroke smooth enough that I'm not wobbly through my upper body; I wonder if I have a dead spot at the top of my stroke and could use shorter crankarms, but that's a different discussion and not a quick or inexpensive fix.

Would widening the bars a little help; broaden the base, as it were?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't compare, but it would seem logical that wider is a little more stable.

I am reasonably wide at the elbows (a shade wider than my torpedo between my forearms) but with touching knuckles.

That's seems both comfy and stable for me (a beginner), but like I said, I don't really have a comparison ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is one of the areas where a skilled fitter can do magic. The biggest changes are going to come from practice, confidence and the more relaxed posture you gain as a result of the first two..however, I've seen really skilled bike fitters do some amazing things. Unfortunately, trying to diagnose specifics like you are talking on the web is most likely just going to get you in trouble.. truth is, could be any of those things or about 30 others.

We hosted 51SpeedShop in our office for the first year that they were in business, and truly, the stuff that those guys can see and then tweak is really amazing and sometimes the diagnosis for various pains, stability, hip rocking, shoulder rocking, etc would be solved by seemingly unrelated things.

I'd spend a few weeks getting saddle time and if you are still experiencing the other issues, find somebody qualified to look at your fit.

Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bar assistance [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my logic too, WD, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I have boobs, which may be part of the problem (in conjunction with the narrow set of the aero bars), and I am also a couple of shades above midget (5'3") so the adjustability of my aero bars to compensate is limited by the narrowness of the base bar. I have very short arms even in relation to my body, so to get my elbows in the right place I have essentially canted most of my body weight right above the stem. It doesn't feel bad or uncomfortable on the trainer, but it feels... wobbly on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you got friends or riding mates that use aero bars ?

Being with them and taking a few confidence inspiring comments and tips, even having extra eyes around you so you have a few less things to worry about should boost confidence.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try doing some riding with your hands "choked up" on the aerobars. This puts a lot less weight on the front end, and is much more stable while still getting you used to the narrow elbow stance. Use this to get used to the narrower position and then evolve to the more stretched-out tri position.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply