Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Handlebars on Gravel Bike = Pointless?
Quote | Reply
I'm buying a new Specialized Crux and will be making a few mods/upgrades to suit my riding. Nearly all of my "gravel" riding and racing includes a fair amount of pavement so I'm trying to make this bike light and fast in as many conditions as possible. Given that the bike isn't remotely aero, and the brake lines are fully exposed, is there any point in putting an aero handlebar like a Roval Rapide on it?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Handlebars on Gravel Bike = Pointless? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. The rationale to go aero:

1) If you use the bars on your road bike, use what you're used to.
2) The road sections of gravel racing matter, and the bars/body position matter more than the frame tubing, etc. Fast gravel descents also matter.
3) The wide top position of aero bars can give a comfortable hand position.

Reasons not to go with an aero road bar.

1) The flared out "gravel bar" can supposedly give a more stable position for technical descending. This isn't something I've ever really cared about, though. I mountain bike a lot with downhill bars, but when doing the same descents on my gravel bike I prefer the more upright hoods position than wide drops. With the hoods position I can more easily send my butt behind the saddle for going down a rock garden, etc. This is all personal preference, though. Other people descend in the drops just fine.

2) Road aero bars are probably stiffer, and vibration-soaking compliance matters for gravel. This is not something I can really say I've ever noticed, though. If you have high volume tires, it might be all but irrelevant.

3) For brutal gravel "washboard" descents often the best hand position is the "Paris-Roubaix" tops position to best soak up all the vibration and shock. . And for that position you want nice cushy tape all the way to nearly the middle of the bar so you don't brutalize your hands with vibration. And it doesn't make a ton of aero sense to thick-wrap tape on the aero top section of an aero bar.

The top 3) kind of contradicts the bottom 3). But if you don't care about aero and just like the thick, cushiony top, it still makes sense.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 16, 23 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Handlebars on Gravel Bike = Pointless? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a very thorough reply, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Handlebars on Gravel Bike = Pointless? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Sure. The rationale to go aero:

1) If you use the bars on your road bike, use what you're used to.
2) The road sections of gravel racing matter, and the bars/body position matter more than the frame tubing, etc. Fast gravel descents also matter.
3) The wide top position of aero bars can give a comfortable hand position.

Reasons not to go with an aero road bar.

1) The flared out "gravel bar" can supposedly give a more stable position for technical descending. This isn't something I've ever really cared about, though. I mountain bike a lot with downhill bars, but when doing the same descents on my gravel bike I prefer the more upright hoods position than wide drops. With the hoods position I can more easily send my butt behind the saddle for going down a rock garden, etc. This is all personal preference, though. Other people descend in the drops just fine.

2) Road aero bars are probably stiffer, and vibration-soaking compliance matters for gravel. This is not something I can really say I've ever noticed, though. If you have high volume tires, it might be all but irrelevant.

3) For brutal gravel "washboard" descents often the best hand position is the "Paris-Roubaix" tops position to best soak up all the vibration and shock. . And for that position you want nice cushy tape all the way to nearly the middle of the bar so you don't brutalize your hands with vibration. And it doesn't make a ton of aero sense to thick-wrap tape on the aero top section of an aero bar.

The top 3) kind of contradicts the bottom 3). But if you don't care about aero and just like the thick, cushiony top, it still makes sense.

What trail said.

I also have clip ons with my aero drop bar. I avg faster hilly gravel rides alone faster than some folks manage alone or in groups on road rides.

We have a hilly local A road ride that’s like 23mi that struggles as a group to break 20mph. I’ve about done it on the local gravel hilly route alone with a dialed aero setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also like to point out that the bars are the first things that the air hits, and as such my understanding is they have a larger impact on the drag from your bike than you'd think, so it'd probably be beneficial even though your frame isn't particularly aero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend the money on the fastest tires for the terrain first.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Handlebars on Gravel Bike = Pointless? [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kppolich wrote:
Spend the money on the fastest tires for the terrain first.

Yeah that’s another one I’m still trying to figure out. I’ve been running Spesh Pathfinder Pro’s for a while because they’re pretty fast on pavement, but I’ve had a couple incidents with them not biting in corners and on loose over hard stuff so I’m looking for something with a little more balance between on- and off-road capability. Looking at Tufo Thundero or Pirelli Cintaruto M based on some recommendations here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C'mon, let's be serious... take a look at the aero section of the bars that is actually exposed, the space between where your hands rest on the hoods and the stem. Assuming you're also running fairly narrow bars, the distance of the aero section is really quite short, and thus the aero gains will be fairly small. Spend any time at all with your hands on the tops and the aero benefit goes away completely.

And, no, the bars aren't the first thing to hit the wind. The leading edge of the front tire is, followed by the hoods, then the top section of the bars. While there is some impact there, it's minimal and crazy expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pirelli Cinturato H if you live in a dry area, no need to go M unless you ride in mud. The H is definitely faster.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from an aero perspective, I'd say don't bother. As others have said, the wider/flatter profile of "aero" handlebars may offer *other* *positioning* benefits that are ultimately quite advantageous. But that's very dependent on the bar.

for gravel biking, I'd say the biggest area(s) for aero gains are on you.

- aero road helmet. the best ones are fast. VERY fast. For sure this would be the first thing I'd do.
- aero kit. as with helmets, aero clothing is now very much a proven difference maker. aero jerseys typically combine fast fabrics, a form fit, and - in some cases - even pull your shoulders into a bit of a turtle. aero gloves also can help if you're willing to fingerless (don't know of any aero long fingered gloves). But smooth airflow over your hands probably makes as much - if not more - of a difference than bar profile.

Tire Crr is also massive. I ride the pathfinders and, as you say, you absolutely do give up some bite offroad. BUT they roll so fast that it's a good tradeoff IMO *depending on the course.* But for most courses, I am perfectly happy to manage the loose dirt in exchange for speed on more typical surfaces.

But back to your original question, so I wouldn't go with an aero bar for aero reasons; only positional comfort. Aero matters on gravel, but handlebars are not where I'd focus.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would question the choice of the Crux if aero is of interest. It sounds like a Grail or Ostro would be a better starting point for what you are doing. 3T would also be a better starting point if you don’t want integrated cabling.
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Dec 17, 23 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Handlebars on Gravel Bike = Pointless? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I would question the choice of the Crux if aero is of interest. It sounds like a Grail or Ostro would be a better starting point for what you are doing. 3T would also be a better starting point if you don’t want integrated cabling.

I wouldn’t say aero is a priority. I’m pretty set on the Crux for a variety of reasons and I’m more curious if the aero handlebars make any appreciable difference given that the frame isn’t aero. Sounds like the consensus is no. Appreciate the suggestions though.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Handlebars on Gravel Bike = Pointless? [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:

While there is some impact there, it's minimal and crazy expensive.

Thanks. With regard to cost, I’m upgrading the bar either way and the difference between a regular Roval carbon bar and the Rapide aero bar is only $50, so not a huge deal.

ETA: Roval Rapide aero handlebar, not the full cockpit/integrated stem.
Last edited by: Dgconner154: Dec 17, 23 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Handlebars on Gravel Bike = Pointless? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jordan. I do really enjoy the pathfinders on pavement and smooth gravel. I crashed pretty hard on some loose stuff with them which got me thinking about a more aggressive tire, but I’m not sure if I want to give up that speed for more bite. I guess it’s all course- and weather-dependent so there’s no one solution for all conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Mudge wrote:

Thanks. With regard to cost, I’m upgrading the bar either way and the difference between a regular Roval carbon bar and the Rapide aero bar is only $50, so not a huge deal.

What's the price differential between the Rapide aero carbon fiber bar and an aluminum bar?

Comparing it to another over-priced bar and claiming it's only a little more doesn't really show how affordable it is. Besides, it's the cost of the crash replacement where the real expense comes into play, especially if said crash is during an event and you dnf the darn thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
Mudge wrote:

What's the price differential between the Rapide aero carbon fiber bar and an aluminum bar?

Comparing it to another over-priced bar and claiming it's only a little more doesn't really show how affordable it is. Besides, it's the cost of the crash replacement where the real expense comes into play, especially if said crash is during an event and you dnf the darn thing.

I didn’t say it’s affordable, just that it’s not a huge jump from a non-aero carbon bar. I’m not going aluminum either way so the cost of an aluminum bar is irrelevant. I get your point about replacement cost though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Thanks Jordan. I do really enjoy the pathfinders on pavement and smooth gravel. I crashed pretty hard on some loose stuff with them which got me thinking about a more aggressive tire, but I’m not sure if I want to give up that speed for more bite. I guess it’s all course- and weather-dependent so there’s no one solution for all conditions.

I'm always skeptical about how much additional grip you really get with a more aggressive tread pattern. It's super dependent on the actual "texture" of the dirt. Like, SoCal is basically loose/sandy soil scattered on top of hardpan. Nothing is going to give you more traction on that. I regularly run the Snoqualmie Pass slicks off road, because the bigger footprint is going to give me as much traction as any sort of knobs. A more aggressive knob is going to wash out on that almost as easily as a full slick, and it's going to be a LOT slower on anything smooth. I just end up braking harder into hard corners, but whatever speed I sacrifice I more than make up for on the non-technical stuff.

If you have softer dirt, then definitely something with a meatier tread can help. A *lot.* But at least in SoCal, tread makes a lot less difference than it might seem. Unless it's really muddy, I think the Pathfinders do a pretty dang good job across a pretty broad spectrum. I'd go wider before I went more "aggressive" on tread. Assuming you can fit it.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to live in the Victor Valley (North of San Bernardino Mts) where the wind blew all the time. Since I rode solo and 90 percent gravel, I did a lot of experimenting with aero bars.

I use aerobars on my gravel bike and my road bike. Actually, the same ones since I swap them back and forth. My gravel bike is a dual-suspension bike and I can ride the aero bars off-road, though wash-boards and most everything. I use a 5cm riser bar with pads in the low spot that act as armrests. I can shift from the tops with a climbing shifter, the bar ends and the regular Di2 road shifters.

When judging the utility of aerobars remember that your body accounts for far more resistance than the bike. Plus, I use a Redshift Sports dual-position seatpost that gets me a nice aero position. I would say I'm as aero on my gravel bike as most folks are in tri (not that this speaks well for most bike positions).
My last gravel race I made up probably five places on the 5 miles of fast downhill pavement using the aerobars. The year before on the same race in the same section I was completely blown and could barely spin. On the fast downhill section I kept catching a rider and passing them when I was probably doing 80 watts. Twice, on short hills the rider just rode away from me and then I pulled them back basically soft pedaling.

Now, on a Crux, you won't be able to ride them off-road, but if you ride a lot of pavement, then you will be much faster if you ride solo a lot.
For my road bike, I really like them when I've finished climbing the mountains and have a long grind on the flats back to my vehicle or house. Five hours into a ride, having a different position is really nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Handlebars on Gravel Bike = Pointless? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
I used to live in the Victor Valley (North of San Bernardino Mts) where the wind blew all the time. Since I rode solo and 90 percent gravel, I did a lot of experimenting with aero bars.

I use aerobars on my gravel bike and my road bike. Actually, the same ones since I swap them back and forth. My gravel bike is a dual-suspension bike and I can ride the aero bars off-road, though wash-boards and most everything. I use a 5cm riser bar with pads in the low spot that act as armrests. I can shift from the tops with a climbing shifter, the bar ends and the regular Di2 road shifters.

When judging the utility of aerobars remember that your body accounts for far more resistance than the bike. Plus, I use a Redshift Sports dual-position seatpost that gets me a nice aero position. I would say I'm as aero on my gravel bike as most folks are in tri (not that this speaks well for most bike positions).
My last gravel race I made up probably five places on the 5 miles of fast downhill pavement using the aerobars. The year before on the same race in the same section I was completely blown and could barely spin. On the fast downhill section I kept catching a rider and passing them when I was probably doing 80 watts. Twice, on short hills the rider just rode away from me and then I pulled them back basically soft pedaling.

Now, on a Crux, you won't be able to ride them off-road, but if you ride a lot of pavement, then you will be much faster if you ride solo a lot.
For my road bike, I really like them when I've finished climbing the mountains and have a long grind on the flats back to my vehicle or house. Five hours into a ride, having a different position is really nice.

The OP is talking about aero drop bars, not bolt on 'tri bars'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a source I've used to compare rolling resistance of gravel tires. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So he was. I stand corrected. Can I change my answer?

Yeah, I would not bother. Not much to be gained.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Handlebars on Gravel Bike = Pointless? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
So he was. I stand corrected. Can I change my answer?

Absolutely not. For the right question, your answer was perfect. There's no (okay, maybe a little) question of the value of bolt-on aero bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I ended up sticking with a non-aero carbon bar that is lighter than the aero bar and has a little bit of flare. I've never ridden a flared bar before so we'll see how that works out.
Quote Reply