Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Cranks and Chainrings
Quote | Reply
I know it's been touched upon in the past, but I think my question is a little different. How much difference do you think an aero crank with aero chainrings like the Rotor 3D+ has over a crank like the SRAM Red. I'm thinking of switching from the Rotor 3D+ with a TT chainring to the Quarq/SRAM Red crankset (I currently use a Powertap) and am weighing the pros and the cons. I'm currently set-up with 2013 red/yaw drivetrain (minus the crank). The pros and cons as I see it are as follows:

Pros:
1 - Crank based power meter
2 - Possible improvement in the quality of shifting
3 - Lighter (and by a couple hundred grams)
4 - Cheaper than the Rotor PM
5 - I trust Quarq and SRAM (don't know enough about Rotor power yet)

Cons:
1- Less Aero... but how much so?
2- Possibly less stiffness/power transfer
3 - Rotor PM has a few extra features like independant left/right power, pedal efficiency, etc...

I really prefer a crank based power meter over my PT and would consider looking into the Rotor Power Meter when it comes around (or some of the other options), but I think the Quarq Red might be the cheaper and best option.

Does anyone have any thoughts, data or experience on such a change?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Cranks and Chainrings [trithink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aero cranks and rings probably are the last place to worry about. Very minimal gains to be had there. I would stick with the crank you know and trust and you can always artfully apply some packing tape to make it more aero, a la the king of cheap ass aero, Tom A.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed with the above, if you really just want something crazy and awesome there is http://alden-designs.com/...hainring-covers.html

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can get a quarq with an aero chainring or put an aero chainring on it.

there will be no substantive difference in stiffness or power transfer with any of the options you are considering.

an aero chainring is a tiny detail, maybe a couple of seconds saved per 40k

but, it is an easy detail to take care of.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Cranks and Chainrings [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be worried that the increase in A would offset the benefit Cd benefit for the cover.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Cranks and Chainrings [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
I'd be worried that the increase in A would offset the benefit Cd benefit for the cover.

what increase in A?

interesting tidbit from Damon Rinard - bigger aero chainrings (54, 55t etc) were more aero, not less.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
except the zipp aerocrank gives me an extra power boost cause it just looks so badass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I meant to post that to the person that recommended the aerochainring covers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
I meant to post that to the person that recommended the aerochainring covers.

ahh, yeah I've also been curious about the curved FSA chainring cover. have one on my p3. wonder if that was shaped from some sort of testing or not?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I recall correctly the guy who makes these is an engineer and did some CFD analysis of little pieces like this one which would improve the aerodynamics of his bike most.

"My profession involves concept design engineering , using computer simulations and models for design iterations of components and airflow visualization's. So I used those skills for this project, and ran some initial CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) calculations to determine that a cover over the bike's crankset would gain me a little speed by reducing its drag by nearly 40-50grams or 4-5watts. The stem / cable cover could reduce drag nearly 20-30grams or 2-3 watts, at 30mph. It was time to make the components"

http://www.tririg.com/...8_Glen_Speed_Concept

---------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Cranks and Chainrings [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joroshiba wrote:
reducing its drag by nearly 40-50grams or 4-5watts.

The data says maybe 4-9s over a 40km for a well designed crank/chainring. Adding a cover might slow you down.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Feb 22, 13 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replacing your crank with one of these? (pic below) Maybe a couple of watts, maybe a bit more. But replacing it with a rotor ? (very sharp edges, un-aero shape) I doubt you'll gain much at all.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dura Ace 7800 (not 7900) SRM or SRAM S975 SRM either with a flat aero chainring (SRAM or FSA flat aero chainring) have got to be the most aero crank based powermeters-- if even it is only determined by my aero eyeball. Nothing but a flat solid spider that mates up nicely with flat chainrings.

What's it worth in grams of drag? A little, maybe.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
joroshiba wrote:
reducing its drag by nearly 40-50grams or 4-5watts.

The data says maybe 4-9s over a 40km for a well designed crank/chainring. Adding a cover might slow you down.
What data are you talking about? His CFD analysis showed that his cover saved 4-5 watts. The one I linked to is made by the guy who did that analysis and it is the same cover that he tested.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he is saying that while his CFD indicated 4-5 watts wind tunnel testing or field testing have shown that to not be the case

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And you guys gave that guy crap for wanting to cut off the back of his saddle?!?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is pretty interesting how close that is to the zip crank design as far as the chainring cover part at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All that work on the crank and then he put on an easton wheelset. The easton's look cool, but AFAIK don't stack up so well aerodynamically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I think he is saying that while his CFD indicated 4-5 watts wind tunnel testing or field testing have shown that to not be the case
Gotcha, and yeah it is pretty close to the zipp design. I doubt it will hurt, and it is guarenteed to look badass and intimidate comptetitors. Although the zipp vuma crankset would do that even more.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Cranks and Chainrings [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the Easton 90 front wheel is going to be in storage soon I think. Right now it looks like the Hed Stinger 9 is going to make its way onto the bike. Good choice ?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Cranks and Chainrings [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, that is probably a great choice. The bike looks great as an aside.
Quote Reply