Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

AeroJacket, Scott Plasma, Flo 90 compatibility question
Quote | Reply
WheelBuilder has a deal on their AeroJackets and I'm tempted but I ride a Scott Plasma 5, and any 2009+ Scott Plasma is listed as an incompatible bike due to narrow chain stays. My thought is, shouldn't the depth of the rear wheel also be a factor? I'm riding a FLO 90 rear wheel, and for a 90 mm wheel all of the aerojacket would be "inside" the narrowest section of the chain stays so I'd guess that a disc cover should be compatible with the Plasma 5/FLO 90 combination.

Am I missing something?

They say there are no returns for bikes or wheels with known compatibility issues, so I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten a disc cover (aerojacket or otherwise) to work with a Plasma and an 80-90 mm rear wheel.
Last edited by: Northy: Nov 1, 16 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: AeroJacket, Scott Plasma, Flo 90 compatibility question [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
WheelBuilder has a deal on their AeroJackets and I'm tempted but I ride a Scott Plasma 5, and any 2009+ Scott Plasma is listed as an incompatible bike due to narrow chain stays. My thought is, shouldn't the depth of the rear wheel also be a factor? I'm riding a FLO 90 rear wheel, and for a 90 mm wheel all of the aerojacket would be "inside" the narrowest section of the chain stays so I'd guess that a disc cover should be compatible with the Plasma 5/FLO 90 combination.

Am I missing something?

They say there are no returns for bikes or wheels with no compatibility issues, so I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten a disc cover (aerojacket or otherwise) to work with a Plasma and an 80-90 mm rear wheel.

have you checked? Of course, if the top of the rim lies to the right of the kink in the stays, you'd be fine, but i don't think the kink is that close to the BB. One thing you can do to move the wheel rearward is to get the dropout screws out so that the wheel (and top of the rim) are moved aftward.

as for combinations. I run a Zipp 303 (45 mm depth) paired with a thin Catalyst cover designed for a 60 mm deep rim. This cover doesn't clear things on my 60mm rim, but it does on the 303. My suspicion is that rim width and hub flange width ended up mattering more than rim depth, per se. Wider rim and narrower flange lowers the angle your cover makes to the rim and allows the cover to stay between the kink in the stay
Quote Reply
Re: AeroJacket, Scott Plasma, Flo 90 compatibility question [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a 2009 Plasma and prior to going fully-monty on a disc used an Aerojacket on an 808 with plenty of space.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: AeroJacket, Scott Plasma, Flo 90 compatibility question [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point about rim and hub flange width. The FLO is wider than my old wheels, but I haven't thought to compare the hubs.

Also good to know that the 09 Plasma/808/aerojacket combo worked.

Now I'm left with the question of whether there's any real-world difference between a FLO 90 vs the FLO 90 plus aerojacket...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one would think that at higher yaw, there would be a difference. most likely marginal at yaw <5.

i was not very amused when i found out that a disc cover saves me only 20 seconds in a 40k...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pardon for evading the question here, but I too ride a Plasma 5. Why would you be looking at an aerojacket when you can get a flo disc for a fraction of what you spent on your bike? Lots of Plasma's on my team. Only a handful of us with the Plasma 5 and none of us are using aero jackets because we just bought a disc wheel. Everyone else has a plasma 2-4 frameset and of those only 1-2 have an aerojacket. I don't seem to recall them having any issues other than normal aerojacket issues. I.e. that they can be a hassle to deal with.

IMO forego the aerojacket and ride the flo 90 and wait until you can get a flo disc if you still feel you need one. Last thing I want to do on race day is have to deal with removing the cassette to install one of those suckers and then torquing it back to spec. To be clear, i do this quite often switching my bikes onto and off of my kickr since I have mixed groupos (shimano and sram on my bikes), but it's just one more thing I personally wouldn't want to have to worry about on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: AeroJacket, Scott Plasma, Flo 90 compatibility question [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started asking myself the same question after posting this earlier today and now I think my best option is to wait and get a FLO aluminum + carbon disc. I had no idea the aluminum + carbon disc is measured (by FLO) to be faster at all yaw than the carbon clincher disc while being $300 cheaper, and there's only about a 40 g difference between the two. Makes me wonder why someone would choose the carbon clincher disc..

I have a FLO 30 that I use when on the trainer. With the aluminum + carbon FLO disc I can use the 30 as an everyday wheel and then easily swap between the 30 and the disc without having to worry about adjusting brake width or changing pads. Plus I should get better braking performance compared to my FLO 90 carbon clincher. Sounds like a win win.

I wonder what a lightly used FLO 90 carbon clincher sells for these days. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Quote Reply