Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advive on starting a Tri Club?
Quote | Reply
I live in a small town and am thinking of starting a tri club in hopes I can find some training partners and travel partners. I feel it will be a great way to share with others the love of h Triathlon training and racing. We are kind of an obsessive compulsive group, and what better way to share the workload. I am hoping to arrange meetings, training dates, and other group activities. Where should I start?
Quote Reply
Re: Advive on starting a Tri Club? [livelifeoutside] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USA Triathlon has some info that is useful. Also go to my club's website: www.trikats.com send a note to our president Kevin. He's always willing to share info on what works and what doesn't and has made our club what it is. We are very active. Travel to races together. Drink beer together. Lots of great people. Lots of good times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a sense of what *you* want to do and more importantly are capable of doing by yourself.

At your first meeting people will say "I think the club should organize *this*." As the local club president I have become adept at decoding these messages.

*This* can be anything, it might be a good idea it might not. That wasn't the hard part to decode.

What you won't discover for a bit is that when someone says "The club" they mean "anyone else but me." Furthermore, as the president or founding member - that usually means *you*. So when someone says "I think the club should organize a social." That means "I think that you should organize a social." Or I think you should bring food and drinks to the meetings.

So to get started I suggest you start with things you know you can do. For example we have a member who goes out and does an open water swim, bike and run workout at a local state park. Once a month he invites the club to join him.

It works because it is not a chore for him to do. He'd be there anyway and if no one shows up, he still gets his workout in. In cases where someone has to give up a workout or they don't necessarily want to be there. That event will soon be history.

So start with things that are EASILY within your capabilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drop a line to Mark Wilson at www.hvtc.net He's created and maintained an awesome club, and is always willing to help other triathletes.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Kevin, make sure that you have core of people that can help you. Trying to do it all yourself can really burn you out. I have been a president of a club and I have experienced everything that Keving talked about. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing it because it can a lot of fun, just make sure you spread around responsibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.usatriathlon.org/...ions/Club_how_to.pdf

I wasn't with my club from the beginning but a couple of people and I were responsible for getting it re-organized. As the others have suggested, the #1 requirement you'll need is at least a couple of other people to help. I think if anything you can start here. Even if people don't live where you are, they may know some people near you that are willing to help or are interested.

I'm sure there are guidelines in the above guide, but you also need to figure out who you want to attract. Co-workers, promising athletes (were you thinking of coaching?), etc. Once you do I think you will have a better idea of how to get the word out - ie. the local colleges, running stores, pool etc.

Once you meet who you will train with, you will get a better idea of what you all want - possibly a coach? someone to organize runs/trails? and the club will slowly come together...
Quote Reply