Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

AdvilRunners.Com
Quote | Reply
What's the "con" on taking 3-4 advils or ibuprofen during a marathon. I've been having to take a few when I get up past mile 15, to deal with various pains, on long runs, and I feel like a new man, if you can call someone who is a whiny, 9 year old petulant child--to pain, a man.

There has to be a negative side to popping advils. What is it though? I can't tell it affecting my hydration or glycogen levels.

It seems I'm not the only taking these. I was running with my training group and just about everybody had 2-3 advils in their fanny packs. In fact, I got pissed because some chick I was running with wouldn't give one of her pills to another guy who was running with us, who wanted one, so I had to give him one.
Quote Reply
Re: AdvilRunners.Com [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NO -----

Endurance athletes need to be might careful with NSAIDs (like ibuprofen/advil). Here is the problem without getting too technical - the prostaglandins that you will also be blocking with the anti-inflammatory help renal perfusion (function/blood flow) and most endurance athletes (especially DURING a marathon) are a least partially dehydrated to begin with = renal (kidney) unhappiness.

Occasional NSAID if fine with training, especially after effects, but not at mile 15 of a marathon.

Re: AdvilRunners.Com [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about tylenol?

I hear it doesn't think the blood like the others listed
Quote Reply
Re: AdvilRunners.Com [That Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tylenol (acetaminophen) is much safer than the NSAID's, providing you are are not abusing alcohol. I would echo the other posters statements about NSAID's and renal blood flow in endurance events. If you really feel like you need NSAID's to get thru races, you may want to investigate issues about proper form, shoes, training and orthotics before resorting to potent medications while racing.

Disclaimer: author is a physician, but does not portray one on television.

Tony Verow, MD

Tony Verow MD
Durango, CO 81301
Averow@bresnan.net
Quote Reply