Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice for GF (Racing 4/9); Sinus Infection; On Antibiotics
Quote | Reply
Subject line says it all. Started antibiotics Wednesday. A 7-day course. Doesn't feel up to taper/maintenance work. Will be off them on 4/6.

Should she force herself through some short/intense taper efforts to maintain muscle strength(she has been training about 10-12 hours/week)? Do the antibiotics have a "hang-over" effect that will carry over in some way to race day? We are talking about a BOP, at this distance (but 32 out of hundreds in her AG at the Disney Half), not a finely-tuned high-performance athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for GF (Racing 4/9); Sinus Infection; On Antibiotics [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If she's racing on the 9th, she should do what her body & mind want, which appears to be rest. It's just not worth the 2 or 3 crummy workouts she'd maybe get in before the 9th... give her a day or two, she might start feeling better and up for a short session.

AP
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for GF (Racing 4/9); Sinus Infection; On Antibiotics [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah--I kinda felt like a half hour run or bike wouldn't be a set back. Morning or evening are probably not good times though. She should have been to a doctor three days before, though, and that aggravates me--echinacea is fine if you believe in Santa Claus and you don't have a big race coming up. I call it "euthanasia".
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for GF (Racing 4/9); Sinus Infection; On Antibiotics [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a doctor obviously, but I have have strep throat, sinus infections (a bad run for a number of years) and the other stuff, so I had to take anti-biotics.

They are hard on your body. My arm-chair advice would be to not race. If your sick, your body needs rest and recovery, not additional stress. It almost can't possibly be good for you in any capacity. There are a ton of races- this is a good opportunity to get some reast, hit the couoch, watch a pile of movies and just recover. It's a long season....

Good luck with that.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for GF (Racing 4/9); Sinus Infection; On Antibiotics [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, are you in the shop now? I keep missing you when I ring and need to discuss this build with you.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Monk! I feel for the GF, I'm a frequent sufferer of sinus infections. :-( I would say bag the workouts. Rest is probably more important than any workouts and honestly missing them is not going to hurt her at this point, infact it will probably help her. The fact she's done with the antibiotics on the 6th, I'm thinking she may feel great come race day. I'm assuming she's put in a lot of time for this race, so I think she should plan on racing and if she needs to DNS or DNF, well atleast she gave it a go! :-) I should also forewarn the air is SO dry in AZ, the last time I went for a training weekend my sinus' really bothered me, so tell her not to be surprised if she feels a little off the first day or two she's there! My sinus meds are already packed! :-D

Good Luck!! :-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monk... if she got sick, you're not taking care of her well enough... we're not happy...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for GF (Racing 4/9); Sinus Infection; On Antibiotics [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced a sprint in her condition, antibotics etc.

Ended up being sick and off form for 3 months post race. It's just not worth it.

If it's an end of season race it may be worth the risk because of the down time to come. Otherwise rest, recover and focus on another race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of advice to bag it? I am assuming IMAZ right? If that is the case just have her sleep for a few days and take it easy. Let the medicine do its job. Be sure to keep hydrated, antibiotics tend to dry me out.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for GF (Racing 4/9); Sinus Infection; On Antibiotics [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for your contributions to this thread.

No way she is not racing (that's her not me)--my question, which seems to be answered, is back off on the training and let the antibiotics work. I thought some short intense efforts would be OK, but nobody thought that was a good idea. I also learned that Demerly is not a doctor, and, frankly, I am still trying to deal with that.

Quote:

Monk... if she got sick, you're not taking care of her well enough... we're not happy...
Plants only live three days here--how was I expected to take care of a person?
Quote Reply