Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice for 1st IM: want lodging very close to race site
Quote | Reply
Doing my first IM next fall, and I’d really like a race that has lodging within easy walking distance to the race venue. Chattanooga fits this perfectly, but with the extreme heat in recent years this one worries me. Anyone know about “walkability” of Waco or IM California? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for 1st IM: want lodging very close to race site [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Doing my first IM next fall, and I’d really like a race that has lodging within easy walking distance to the race venue. Chattanooga fits this perfectly, but with the extreme heat in recent years this one worries me. Anyone know about “walkability” of Waco or IM California? Thanks.

IMLP and IMMT are good venues where you can stay walking distance from race venue. But no guarantees it will not be hot. The year I did IMMT it was rainy and cool but the year before that it was almost 90F. IMLP might be better as it sits higher up in elevation and the temps usually don't go much above 80F. But with climate change and the geographical locations of those two races, it's all crap shoot with the weather.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for 1st IM: want lodging very close to race site [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure IM Florida would work for you.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for 1st IM: want lodging very close to race site [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waco has several hotels right next to transition or within a very short walk. The rates are higher, obviously, on race weekends along with a multiple night requirement.

This isn't a fall event, but IM Texas in the Woodlands also has a few hotels right next the finish line on the run course. They're not cheap though, the Marriott and Westin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second IMMT. I did it as my first. Beautiful course. Plenty of lodging within walking distance and even more on shuttle routes. Just watch how far up above the village you stay. At certain point it just gets too steep and far. If you do pick a place on the upper mountain or other side just make sure its on a shuttle route.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for 1st IM: want lodging very close to race site [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

Florida for sure.

I'm doing my first full next year and this walking distance to hotels was a big issue for me.

Tons of hotels/condos right near the pier and on the run or bike course (depending what size the pier you stay on)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMAZ, several hotels in Downtown Tempe and a few others on Tempe Town Lake. And there's a bunch AirBnBs in a few developments around the southside of the lake.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for 1st IM: want lodging very close to race site [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d love to do Arizona at some point. Unfortunately with it being close to thanksgiving, the dates aren’t available on the vacation calendar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga weather was near perfect this year and though there was no race there in 2020, the weather was excellent last year too. You can't predict what the weather will likely be a year out, not to mention Sacramento is very windy (sucks) this time of year. I say pick the race you want to do.

That being said, there are plenty of hotels near the Sacramento finish but keep in mind you'll still need to get your gear back at transition (baseball stadium) nearly a mile away.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for 1st IM: want lodging very close to race site [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
Chattanooga weather was near perfect this year and though there was no race there in 2020, the weather was excellent last year too. You can't predict what the weather will likely be a year out, not to mention Sacramento is very windy (sucks) this time of year. I say pick the race you want to do.

That being said, there are plenty of hotels near the Sacramento finish but keep in mind you'll still need to get your gear back at transition (baseball stadium) nearly a mile away.

Thanks for the information about California. I was actually born in Sacramento, so was heavily considering it. I think ultimately I’ll do Chattanooga. I love that town and it’s a fantastic race venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:

Thanks for the information about California. I was actually born in Sacramento, so was heavily considering it. I think ultimately I’ll do Chattanooga. I love that town and it’s a fantastic race venue.

I'm doing Sacramento next year (had to defer this year). I live in LA, but know Sac well, and have a house up in Truckee so will likely head up there post race.

I did Chattanooga this year and LOVED it. Great city, course, and support. Honestly really can't say anything negative (other than lack of finishers gear) about that race. I know it was blazing hot in 2019, but we had near perfect temps and I know that 2020 had nice weather too. Honestly, not having raced IMCA, but knowing the course relatively well, and just completing IMCHOO, I would 100% recommend IMCHOO over IMCA. Even though IMCA does appeal to me being local-ish race, let's be honest, aside from the down river swim and run finish, the course looks pretty blah.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

100%. Plenty of condos on the beach that are on the race course and near transition.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for 1st IM: want lodging very close to race site [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which hotels and condos?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for 1st IM: want lodging very close to race site [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tons on Airbnb/VBRO for condos. Then I know there's a Hampton inn on the run course. Swim is around the pier by Pier Park. Google maps shows a buch of resorts and hotels on both sides of the pier right on the beach. Transition I believe is in Pier Park.
Quote Reply