Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advantages to compact geometry?
Quote | Reply
Looking at the new compact geometry Vortex, I have to ask: what is the advantage? Why would I want a compact geometry frame over a regular one? I'm thinking it's a comfort thing but how exactly? By shortening the cockpit? Thanks for any enlightenment on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Advantages to compact geometry? [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the experts know more about it than I do, but here are my 2 cent:

The industry wants you to believe:

#1 Compact frames are better for smaller people or female athletes ( I may aggree with that).

#2 Compact frames handle better due to the lower center of gravity of the bike (disputable, but certainly valid if combined with #1)

#3 Compact frames are lighter and stiffer, but offer more "give" due to the long seatpost (don't really buy into that one either)

#4 Compact frames are more agile (I aggree, but they normally have shorter wheelbases compared to same size "regular" frame.

There are probably more points to make, but these are the ones that made me decide against going compact.

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Advantages to compact geometry? [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apprently compact frames can also be made to accommodate a wider range of fits. I have no clue though. The one thing I think is a valid argument is that it can help to create a smaller rear triangle, thus stiffening up the rear end.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are a bike manufacturer you want compact geometery because is reduces the amount of inventory required and as such the working capital needed to floor said inventory.

If on the other hand you are a cyclist you want a frame that fits you correctly. A compact frame is much less likey to fit than a complete selection of traditional frames.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am small and ride ~50cm frames, but I hate all non-compact bikes. I go around corners a schload faster on compact bikes and generally just feel more comfortable. (Note: I am a crit racer).

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Advantages to compact geometry? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing that sucks about small size compact frames is sometimes large water bottles don't fit and you can't mount a frame pump.
Quote Reply
Re: Advantages to compact geometry? [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, this is a problem for the seat tube water bottle with some cages. Frame pumps are lame anyway . . . buy a CO2 cartridge and put it in a seat bag or jersey pocket.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Advantages to compact geometry? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll never give up my pump. I've gotten multiple flats on a ride, I will do anything to avoid getting stuck 50 miles from home on a country road in the rain with no way to fill my tire. Even if a pump weighed 10 pounds I would still carry it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Valuing function over form? I think you are on the wrong forum.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'll never give up my pump. I've gotten multiple flats on a ride, I will do anything to avoid getting stuck 50 miles from home on a country road in the rain with no way to fill my tire. Even if a pump weighed 10 pounds I would still carry it![/reply]

Agreed. I carry both CO2 and a pump. Double flatted today and was glad I had the hand pump!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Advantages to compact geometry? [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just carry extra CO2 cartridges...
Quote Reply