Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adjustable/comfortable bike for 60 year old age grouper
Quote | Reply
I am a soon to be 60 year old (average at best) triathlete who has had back surgery, but still loves to compete. Compete is really a misconception in that Im far past competing and trying to beat anyone. My run in a 70.3 is a fast walk at 14 to 15 min pace to save my back, so I am not trying to podium or qualify. Just enjoying the experience.

My question is this. I currently ride a Cervelo P5 and have a good, professional fit. The bike is awesome, but it has become more aggressive than I want to be and not comfortable for very long. So, what are the most adjustable TT bikes that I could be more upright on? I want comfort over sheer speed. Would an aero road bike be a better option? Maybe one with an aero bar package?

Any advice is welcomed.
Quote Reply
Re: Adjustable/comfortable bike for 60 year old age grouper [RVP88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps you could just change the fit on the bike you are on, unless they glued and welded your old fit in place...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Adjustable/comfortable bike for 60 year old age grouper [RVP88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo Soloist with clip-on aero bars. Gives you lots of riding positions. Still pretty dang aero. Easy to adjust without bonkers spacers and cable routing.
Quote Reply
Re: Adjustable/comfortable bike for 60 year old age grouper [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cockpit I have is as high as it can go. Maybe a new cockpit.
The problem I am having is the abrupt angle of my back on an aggressive setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend a fit from one of the experts that post here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Get a GOOD fit. Cervelo Caledonia is a good road bike that seems to work well for a higher front end, but the fit, or even a visit to a shop that knows their stuff and puts you on multiple bikes will be the best choice. Fit is huge though, and find one with the experience, not the fanciest marketed tools.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RVP88 wrote:
The cockpit I have is as high as it can go. Maybe a new cockpit.
The problem I am having is the abrupt angle of my back on an aggressive setup.

I would suggest something like that

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RVP88 wrote:
I want comfort over sheer speed.

Do you want to be riding in an aero position or just using drop handlebars?

Everyone else here knows way more about aerodynamics than I do - does using aerobars still help if you're relatively upright?

For me, as dude in my mid-50s, I'd rather be cruising along on my road bike (an old Soloist, FWIW) than being all leaned over on the aerobars. But it's really about what experience you prefer.

Anyway, seems to me like that's the biggest question. No sense getting a tri bike and not using the aerobars. But if you want to be riding in the aerobars, if it's something you've gotten used to and don't want to give up, it is good to be able to shift from there.
Quote Reply