Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Achilles pain on compression
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, i was reading a post when i was trying to find an answer to achilles pain when it is compressed but not elongated (is that the right word? ha).

It was talking about achilles tendinitis, the only thing is, it started in both feet at exactly the same time after a fairly intense exercise session and has been persisting now for about 5-6 weeks, There is no pain to the touch and they generally crack now (without pain) when i rotate my feet.

They are especially sore in the morning when walking down the stairs. Just curious to see if anyone has any idea what this sounds like and any tips on how to fix this issue? Any help would be appreciated, driving me nuts!

Thanks

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles pain on compression [timmctimtim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could try a night splint or sock to keep your feet from being plantar flexed all night long, that has helped people in the past.

Also, eccentric calf workouts have been shown to be very effective at rehabbing achilles issues.

You may also look at your shoes. A heel collar that fits too tightly around the back of the ankle may produce achilles pain. Gordon Pirie wrote:

Quote:
With an Achilles "protector" on
your shoe, discomfort or injury is guaranteed. The quickest remedy to this problem is to
take a knife to the curved piece of shoe material and cut it off, so that the top of the shoe
heel is level with the rest of the upper, and below the level of the soft tissue of the
Achilles tendon. The top of the shoe heel must not be higher than the bony heel. Runners
who come to me limping with very sore Achilles tendons are able to run away with their
pain relieved after this surgery is performed on the shoe (with the shoe removed, of
course). This "operation" will make the shoe about half a size larger than it was
originally, so bear this in mind when purchasing shoes. Thus, if you buy your shoes a bit
snug and remove the heel tag before you wear them, Achilles tendon problems should
become a thing of the past.

Have you taken any time off or at least reduced your volume and/or intensity in the last 5-6 weeks? I overstressed my achilles a while back and a month of lighter volume and no strides or track workouts have gotten the achilles back to about 99%.

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles pain on compression [kylekranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, thanks for the reply

Ill have a look at what you suggest, thats an interesting idea about the shoes, ill definitely have a look into that as well.

Yeah ive reduced my intensity but possibly not as much as i should, im having surgery on my arm in 2 weeks so hopefully my recovery time might be enough, coupled with the calf exercises you mention.

Thanks again for the tips, ill keep you posted!
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles pain on compression [timmctimtim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a bit that I wrote about my own "achilles month". Good luck!

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Quote Reply