Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Achilles? Calf?
Quote | Reply
Ive got minor irritations that are occuring from 5-9 inches above my heel, only on my right leg. The majority of my calf muscle lies right above this point. Its not painful, just an irritation, but few days ago it was worse, sorta sore after cycling. I was due to start run training now (coming off marathon 2 weeks ago), but i really dont want to get a serious injury and not be able to make my A race (1/2 iron in 4 months, so i have time to take it slow considering i am currently able to bike 80+ mi, and obviously able to run 26.2). What are some ideas on not just what it could be (inflammation? small tears?) but also the best course of action, heat? ice?
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles? Calf? [apolack1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet ice couldn't hurt.

I frequently have tense & spasmic muscles in my lower & upper calf. Including the part that is just below the main muscle mass. I am having good results with self-massage. Like me, you may have muscle adhesions or spasms, etc.. My favourite tools are:

1) 18" piece of wooden dowel. I stand on both knees, with both hands hold the dowel over each tense area for 1 minute.

2) Knuckles of my closed fist. While sitting in a chair, I bring the affected leg forward slightly and I jam my knuckles into the affected area. I make sure I lean my upper arm on the edge of the seat. It works as a pivot pt. so I can apply even more pressure.

3) My kneecap. While lying down, I place the affected calf on top of the opposite knee.

Good luck!

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a tight sore calf muscle for training a little bit too fast. last nite i rubbed ALOT of tiger balm on it and took 3 motrin. Put too much tiger balm on and sweat it out the whole nite. it was like using "toast" if you have ever used that. however i felt better this morning and it was fortunatley a swim morning and didn't have any problem. we'll see how i feel for the bike tonite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out a much earlier thread entitled Ouch, my calf hurts. I will wager this describes your problem precisely.

I had a terrible time recovering from injuring this muscle. I would take two weeks off from running and then reinjure it in the first 1/4 mile and start the cycle over again.

Do toe raises on a step and use plenty of ice. Don't make this injury worse, if you an old guy. If you are 18, it probably doesn't matter, but if you were 18 you probably wouldn't be asking this question.

Good luck,
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles? Calf? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pain they describe on that forum is WAY more than i have. I probably wouldnt even pay attention to it, except for the fact that, im really bored (so i had nothing to do but post), had a recent battle with knee pain a few months ago, and i recently read an article in which 3 people's achilles snapped (hypochondriac?). I just dont want this minor irritation to develop into something that causes me pain. Oh yeah, im 21 so im sure ill be fine. hehe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be a result of a tight calf muscle following your marathon. Consider going to a sports massage therapist to loosen you up. Treat yourself, you deserve it after the marathon. A good one has the talent to identify problem areas in and around your pain origin. A tight calf can have a direct impact on achilles because of the connective tissue. I would also agree with an earlier posting recommending ice treatment multiple times daily for the next few days. Stretch, then stick your leg up to mid-calf in an ice bucket for 5 minutes in the evening (it sucks, but it is quite theraputic). During the day, grab an ice cube and directly rub the pain origin for 5 mins. Good luck.
Quote Reply