Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
About Lance hated by the French...
Quote | Reply
his comment in l'Equipe

"In the US,I have always been supporting France and its people.

In the race I can feel a lot of people on the side of the road support me here in France. Of course there are 4-5 saying bad things but that's nothing compare to the thousands that do support me"
Quote Reply
Re: About Lance hated by the French... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that the French hate Lance. Like he says, there may be 4 or 5 people, during those ascents, who may say something, but jeezus.....that's nada.

And for all of that crowding on the road, I don't recall an attempt by a fan to deliberately knock him down or injure him during any of his successful TdF wins.

I've lived in Europe (Italy). They're just plain crazy about cycling, and they get really worked up whenever those riders come by, no matter the nationality.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: About Lance hated by the French... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely agree...but some here strongly disagree and come up with lots of made up stuff heard in the media about attempts by the French to not have Lance win the Tour (the only thing possible to do this is to only have flat stages...he TTs faster and climbs faster than everybody)...

That said I realized that this is also why I'd rather have Ullrich win...in 99-00-01, I was rooting for Lance. Then there are lot of people (here and in the media) going on 'Lance is god', 'Lance is the greatest ever', 'Lance has superpowers and can melt metal just looking at it' blah blah blah...that at the end you end up thinking 'man, I hope someone else wins, cause I am tired of hearing all that crap' this and the disrespect some show to other riders...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Re: About Lance hated by the French... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wheel sucker! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured he just liked the view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then there are lot of people (here and in the media) going on 'Lance is god', 'Lance is the greatest ever', 'Lance has superpowers and can melt metal just looking at it' blah blah blah...that at the end you end up thinking 'man, I hope someone else wins, cause I am tired of hearing all that crap' this and the disrespect some show to other riders...

That stuff is what sells papers and advertising space for Nike etc. Really, how many people in the U.S. could even beging to talk about cycling to the depth that many Europeans can expound on it. Also, I'm sure that if all that stuff is said, and it somehow plays on the psyches of all of Armstrong's main competitors, he'd (Armstrong) be a fool not to take advantage of it.

I think what'd be good for the sport is the popularity of a lot of these teams. I go by a triathlon shop near Waikiki, and even that shop has a CSC jersey in the window up for sale. That can't be anything but good for the sport....

Tony

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like maybe it's parts of the French media who like to give Lance grief rather than the French people themselves.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: About Lance hated by the French... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah. The french media are just trying to give crap to anybody...Cycling has been one of their fav. target since the 1998 Tour and they are just enjoying suggesting everyone is doping...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhh....the days of wine and roses. 1998. Festina. Richard Virenque. Midnight dashes across the border with performance-enhancing substances.

Lord, do I miss it (sniff).

Antoine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In the race I can feel a lot of people on the side of the road support me here in France. Of course there are 4-5 saying bad things
I think it is more like 5-6.
Quote Reply
Re: About Lance hated by the French... [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance said 'quatre ou cinq' but then he goes by so fast, maybe he missed one ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Lance said 'quatre ou cinq'
He speaks France?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For all of Lance's foibles and flaws and strengths, he has done some things very, very well. Among other things, he has made the effort to learn the language of the country that hosts the most difficult bicycle race in the world. And the country that hosts the race that has molded him into the stunning athlete that he has become.

All things considered, I think he speaks French surprisingly well. And I think that people in all countries (especially France) really appreciate when someone of Lance's stature and talent makes that kind of effort to learn their tongue.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: About Lance hated by the French... [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nahhhh, the French will still hate him just because he is American:))))))))

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Re: About Lance hated by the French... [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep...and that is a big factor as to why he is popular in France...Greg Lemond learnt french too and also Jim Courier...the first time he won in Paris, he spoke in french and the speech was hilarious
Quote Reply
Re: About Lance hated by the French... [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i dont think the french hate him, they grudgingly love him....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the speech was hilarious

was that courier or lemond? but it seems to me that even in that case, the french have a great laugh, but i still think they give the speaker the credit for having the guts to try their tongue, even if he messes it up so bad.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim Courier...

but the public wasn't at Jim, they were laughing because he was truly funny...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude,

I was in the simulator the other day and some French pilots were getting out, we said hi in passing but they didnt habla so we just waived, but when we got in the box, the friggin stench was horrible, I mean we all gagged and had to leave before we puked. We called the technition to fumigate the box and after about 15 minutes it was bearable again. WTF, the last time I checked the SOAP is FREE in the hotel, why dont those guys use it, sheeeeeeeeesh.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Re: About Lance hated by the French... [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you sure your mouth isn't too close to your nose?
Quote Reply
Re: About Lance hated by the French... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And for all of that crowding on the road, I don't recall an attempt by a fan to deliberately knock him down or injure him during any of his successful TdF wins.

This actually happened to Eddy Merckx in Giro d'Italia. Many people hated Merckx in France and Italy, at least as many as hates Armsrong. It's not an Amerian thing as someone tries to make it to. I think it's more that people don't like a rider that's too dominating especailly if he's not from their own country. Even Hinault wasn't that popular in France, Poulidor was much more popular.

It was much much worse in for example the 70's than now.
Last edited by: Twitchslow: Jul 5, 05 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: About Lance hated by the French... [Twitchslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess you meant Poulidor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude,

im not picking on you, im just picking on the bathing habits of French people, they really WREAK, but to be fair, we WREAK to African people as well, go figure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guess you meant Poulidor

Yes, that's who I meant, my French is no exsistent, but I knew the name wasn't right I had orgot the precise name.

I have editetd the post.
Quote Reply

Prev Next