Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aaaarrrggghhhh! Crank removal help needed
Quote | Reply
Just stripping the bike down before I leave for the US on Thursday. However, the crank puller that I borrowed doesn't work for my octalink 105 cranks, I think the center pusher is too small. Is it possible to make any sort of adaptor for the extractor that might work?

I'll be buying the correct one in the US while I'm there, but not there's many bike shops here, and most just do cheap mountain bikes. if there's anything I can jury rig to just get the cranks off it would be really helpful.

Cheers,

J.
Quote Reply
Re: Aaaarrrggghhhh! Crank removal help needed [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a shot in the dark, but is there a coin that would fit?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also try using an old 15 mm bolt from an old set of cranks, or stacking some stratigically placed sockets in a pinch. If you use a coin stack a few in there as one will not be strong enough.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance the 105 cranks have self extracting bolts, like the ultegra 9spd and dura ace 9spd cranks have?
If they are self extracting, then you shouldnt need a crank puller at all.

w
Quote Reply
Re: Aaaarrrggghhhh! Crank removal help needed [cdnbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see if I can find a coin that fits. There seems to be only a very small lip between the edge of the crank and the bracket inside, maybe 1-2mm is all. I think it would have to fit just right.

Cheers,

J.
Quote Reply
Re: Aaaarrrggghhhh! Crank removal help needed [wilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, at least not these, the bolts came out, with no washers or such, from what I've read on the Park tools site, you need a particular crank puller for these.

Cheers,

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An appropriate sized washer will do the trick.
Quote Reply
Re: Aaaarrrggghhhh! Crank removal help needed [SProboscis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried a coin stack, but that just pushed the stack of 3 coins into the axle. Didn't have a suitable washer, so took it to the local bike shop. He looked at it and said come back in half an hour. Despite wondering what he'd do, it turned out he'd made a washer to fit and pulled the cranks.

Sorted. Definitely buying a crank puller in the US though.

Thanks for the help,

J.
Quote Reply