Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A question about purchasing a bike from Canada and bringing it over Border
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I'm considering purchasing a bike out of Canada. I live in Washington State, If I drive up and meet the seller on Canada soil will I have to pay for fees, taxes to bring it back the US soil?
Quote Reply
Re: A question about purchasing a bike from Canada and bringing it over Border [ginofairplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technically, yes.
Practically, unlikely.

I'm going to assume you want to do this legally.....

Get a receipt, print out the ad, have the wire transfer details or pic of the cash on your phone.

When you roll up and get asked why you were there just be honest and say you bought a used bike. They might just wave you through, they might ask for details, just be honest.

My personal experience is they just waived me through with used goods, but YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: A question about purchasing a bike from Canada and bringing it over Border [ginofairplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though I am in Canada - be truthful - I have a family member who works for CBSA who told me that sometimes people go to the US and buy tires and don't declare them. Well when they get caught, cause they will, the border people can now charge you tax on the ENTIRE value of the vehicle that the tires are currently on - so that would mean if you vehicle is worth 75k your paying tax on that instead of declaring the tires and pay the tax only on the tires.

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much % is the tax in Wash. ? Better pay for shipping ( in canadian dollars ;-) ) IMO.

Louis :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you legally have to declare it at the border if the value is over the duty free exemption.
If you don't, the penalties could be steep if they decide to dig in. The Blaine and Sumas border crossings are notorious for being sticklers for the rules. I should also mention that if they catch you, if you have Global Entry and/or PreCheck, they will likely yank you from those programs.

(I won't comment on the likelihood of them asking about it as I wouldn't want to appear to be advising someone to break the law)
Last edited by: ilsapproach: Nov 17, 18 20:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you buy the bike take it for a test ride. When the border agents ask why you went to Canada tell them it was for a bike ride

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We go back and forth across the border with bikes regularly - flying and by car.

In 20 years of doing this, I've only really been asked about the bikes and their origin ounce - coming back into Canada (I'm Canadian). I had my bike as it is normally when we travel by car on the roof rack. The Canadian Customs/Border agent started in with the 20 questions about the bike - where was it bought? Did I have a receipt? . .etc . . My answers apparently were not good enough, so I was pulled over into Secondary. Met with another agent there, who asked me to take the bike down off the car, and again he's asking for receipts, and wanted to search the rest of the car. No sooner than I had the bike down off the roof-rack, when there was a massive amount of commotion in the Secondary area, and a whole bunch of Agents swarming another vehicle parked a few cars over from me. As I'm standing there with my bike in my hands, the Agent with me, says "You can go now", and he darted over to the other car with all the action, and that was the end of that!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: A question about purchasing a bike from Canada and bringing it over Border [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meaning that was the last time you messed with taking your bike over the Border?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meaning that was the last time you messed with taking your bike over the Border?

No, not at all.

That was the ONLY time I had any issue with it. And as you saw with the story . . it was much ado about nothing!

Quote Reply
Re: A question about purchasing a bike from Canada and bringing it over Border [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mooseknuckle69 wrote:
Though I am in Canada - be truthful - I have a family member who works for CBSA who told me that sometimes people go to the US and buy tires and don't declare them. Well when they get caught, cause they will, the border people can now charge you tax on the ENTIRE value of the vehicle that the tires are currently on - so that would mean if you vehicle is worth 75k your paying tax on that instead of declaring the tires and pay the tax only on the tires.

How do they catch that you bought tires?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: A question about purchasing a bike from Canada and bringing it over Border [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It happens mainly during winter and spring tire change seasons, and it's bleeding obvious that you have brand new tires on your car. If you bought them in Canada, pull up the visa or bank statement on your phone to prove it.

Quote Reply
Re: A question about purchasing a bike from Canada and bringing it over Border [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Re: A question about purchasing a bike from Canada and bringing it over Border [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every time I return to Canada, whether by land or air, I'm always reminded that the CBSA are simply glorified tax collectors.
Knives, guns, explosives.....don't even ask. Why was I in country ABC?...nope.

"So what did you buy...?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Wilber Ross and Donald Trump might call you horse face and demand 25% tariff unless you drive a jacked up pickup with really big tires
in which case you ll be deemed a great american.

Gonna need 3 glow sticks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
We go back and forth across the border with bikes regularly - flying and by car.

In 20 years of doing this, I've only really been asked about the bikes and their origin ounce - coming back into Canada (I'm Canadian). I had my bike as it is normally when we travel by car on the roof rack. The Canadian Customs/Border agent started in with the 20 questions about the bike - where was it bought? Did I have a receipt? . .etc . . My answers apparently were not good enough, so I was pulled over into Secondary. Met with another agent there, who asked me to take the bike down off the car, and again he's asking for receipts, and wanted to search the rest of the car. No sooner than I had the bike down off the roof-rack, when there was a massive amount of commotion in the Secondary area, and a whole bunch of Agents swarming another vehicle parked a few cars over from me. As I'm standing there with my bike in my hands, the Agent with me, says "You can go now", and he darted over to the other car with all the action, and that was the end of that!
Almost the same situation. They were rude. I got rid off them by showing fb pic with me on my bike dated before the trip. Next time better to have a pic with frame number
Quote Reply
Re: A question about purchasing a bike from Canada and bringing it over Border [go.dog.go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wilber Ross and Donald Trump might call you horse face and demand 25% tariff unless you drive a jacked up pickup with really big tires
in which case you ll be deemed a great american.

Apparently several hundred Americans get turned back at the border each year, because they are carrying guns either on their person or in their vehicle. They seem to be unaware that carrying firearms like that, by the general public is illegal in Canada - no matter, what the rules are in the U.S. or their State of residence.

https://www.thestar.com/...rming-frequency.html

Of course these are the obvious ones - people who openly declare they are carrying a firearm upon question by a Canadian Border Agent, or it is found on a search of a vehicle. Hidden and smuggled firearm transport from the U.S. into Canada is a SERIOUS problem. The vast majority of the guns used in criminal activities, or in homicides when they are traced by Canadian Police, are found to originate in the U.S.!

Quote Reply