Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A pre race chat with Sebastian Kienle
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: A pre race chat with Sebastian Kienle [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert what did you think about the doping comments?
I thought it was a bit harsh only in that it did not start nor end with Jan or Vino, it started decades before...
Quote Reply
Re: A pre race chat with Sebastian Kienle [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was a bit harsh only in that it did not start nor end with Jan or Vino, it started decades before... //

Well it started when cycling competitions started really. I think he was saying that when he was a lad, watching bike racing, these were the guys he looked up to. Sure, people knew about the doping past and present, but it was still not the big deal it is today back when Jan was on German TV every night, the hero of the fatherland . So these were his heroes, and when they went down, it was a blow to him. Seems reasonable to me, he was talking personally, not historically.

For me, I came to this reality well before he did, and had to race in the middle of it, before it blew up and was front page news. No one guy ruined my outlook, it was a slow boil over a decade. So when these guys were doing incredible things in the TDF and other races, I already knew what was going on, and enjoyed it for what it was, an open category of anything goes. But for others that held childhood heroes who perhaps they defended, or gave the benefit of the doubt, it went down harder when the capes came off, and the super powers were exposed..
Quote Reply
Re: A pre race chat with Sebastian Kienle [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's about 10 years younger than me, but I vividly remember this. Realize, in northwest Europe, you'll just go to France real quick to see a stage.
Germany had not had a hero like Ulrich. Just before, we had Theunisse. And Breukink, who somehow runs a team. The Danes had one hit wonder Riis. And then of course there was Armstrong. The East had Vini, riding for the Germans.
And then it all came tumbling down, and good kids like Kienle were seeing their heroes come undone, turn into cheaters.
Cycling in Germany was ruined by this. I see where he's coming from.
I like the dude, a lot. Better head on his shoulders than Sanders.

NO
Quote Reply