Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A personal take on Mission Bay
Quote | Reply
Well, I have to chime in off of that long Chicagoland tri-shop thread and I am starting with a new post because I don't want this to be buried deep on the old one.

I have known Bill and Val, after just walking in the store cold, for a good number of years. They have attended an Ironman viewing party at my old apartment and in the late 90's they came out to my 8th grade classroom during a midwinter mini-session we were having to talk about bikes, fitness and recreation. They brought a van full of bicycle eye candy with 'em. I have sent customers, including former students, to them over the years. I like them both alot. I like individualists/iconoclasts. They help move things forward.

I think I also might have been one of the very first to show them what might be coming down the road in their business when I brought in a new bought- at-a-discount-over-the-web QR frame and asked him to build it up for me. This was over 7 years ago when all this on-line stuff was still pretty new. I'm not sure Bill was too happy with me that night, but he built it up very well and I think it got him thinking about how to deal with this new thing called the internet.

Over the years I have heard people with stories about "Wild Bill". I have heard about frustrations with the the help out in Elgin, whether it is a standoff-ish thing or a perceived arrogance or what. I can't discount things I hear from people I consider friends, but I also know that if you can, as Dan points out, "get into" what Bill is all about, he'll do whatever he possibly can for you. He has provided me quick turn-around when I needed it, a bike case for Kona when I needed it, wheel deals when I needed them and on and on. Maybe you think that as a customer you shouldn't have to be the one to "get into" what the owner is all about...that it should be the other way around. Well, maybe you are right, but I'd still ask you to give it a shot, because I think it will be worth your while.

I think some of this angst over MB is because of a sense of divided loyalties when people move on. It was a shame when Rich left the store because Rich was an integral part of the shop. It was a shame when a mechanic named Bob Olson moved on because Bob is the best wrench in the world, at least this part part of the world. People move on for a variety of reasons and when they go you are torn abit about it. I like Rich and I hope to see his new place soon. I take my bikes to Bob when they need work. I still buy from Mission Bay, maybe even that new Kestrel I've been coveting, because I like them. I don't know if they get "mad" that I do business with all of them, but I doubt it, because they're adults. I remain loyal to all of them because they have been good people to me.

My guess is Bill has read all of this stuff and will agonize over some of it and be proud over alot of it. The guy has soul and loves the sport. Bottom line? Give 'em a shot. Or give them another shot.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: A personal take on Mission Bay [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I met Bill and Val at Dan's (Xantusia) I was very excited. I had heard a lot about their business and knew these were two people I could learn from. I did. Bill and Val know their stuff. They are a part of triathlon history in the U.S. Bill and Val are smart business people, good technicians and straight shooters.

If people have a problem with Bill I'd be willing to bet it is becasue Bill is not a bullshitter. He tells it like it is and sometimes people don't like that. They want to be told what they want to hear.

Most people who shop at Mission Bay don't even know why it is called that. They don't understand that Bill and Val are fixtures in the sport. They helped shape the sport and the business- for the better in my opinion.

I'm not just stroking another retailer for the brownie points. I lose business to Bill and Val all the time. When I do, I can respect that. They've earned it.

There are a lot of people who have discovered there is money to be made in triathlon bikes. They hang a sign up, go to a school, maybe even stumble through a triathlon and then they say "I'm a triathlon bike fitter!" Bullshit.

Bill and Val are the real thing. Bill and Val were fitting people to bikes for triathlons before there were Powerbars, aerobars and triathlon bikes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: A personal take on Mission Bay [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. What Tom and I said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a chicagoan and have been to MB (Elgin and downtown) and the former BS . As Dan stated, Bill does have a tell it like it is personality, and people may take that the wrong way...but it's their loss....the guy is all heart...and just tries to make a modest living at doing it....

What has been the most interesting about all of this chatter is people's impression that Bill is geniunely 'out to get em'...Can't buy it...No f'in way...No one works as hard as he does (shuttling gear between two stores, up at 5am to fix tires at EVERY local event, putting in 14 hour days, managing 2 stores) and what for?...The guy isn't exactly raking it in...And for some reason the guy still gets a bad rap in Chicago...I never understand why? Nobody puts in the time he does at a job without loving what you do....Bill just does what he loves and says what he means...Could use a bit more of that IMHO!

If you had a bad experience with him, he's earned the credibilty and the opprotunity for you to give him a 2nd chance...20 years of biz can't be wrong...I'm on Bill's side on this one
Last edited by: pjl: Feb 25, 04 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My .02 and take it how you wish. In 1999 I went there to get a new bike, it would be my first ever new triathlon bike, he spent hours on setup and fit and I was happy with that, and after a couple test rides selected a Softride bike. When I asked about a rear mount computer, he quickly said it could not be done, when I tried to present an idea on how it could he basically dumped me off to another employee, who with me worked about an hour and we got it to work. At the time DA 9 speed was still fairly new and I had the bike built with it, after about a week of riding I noticed there was problems with the rear shifting, I drove 1.5 hours back to the shop to get it looked at, they made some very minor adjustments and said that was probably the best they could get ti to work, I was quickly getting the impression that once they had made the primary sale they were not much interested in standing behind it. After another week or 2 of continious shifting problems I called Softride myself, and was told "Yes the DA shifter was too sensitive for internal cable routing on the frame I had, it had been fixed on the next year model but on mien the best solution was just to route the cables externally. I took the bike to them and they said I would have to pay if I wanted that change made. At that point I was tired of driving so far to get lack luster support on a $3500 bike purchase. I found a shop in Milwaukee and even though he had not sold me the bike he spent the time to get the shifting working correctly and did not even charge me for the assistance. He called Softride and worked out the best fix. I have not been back to Mission Bay since. The presale service and support was outstanding, but once they had my money they had little time to support me or the sale.
Quote Reply
Re: A personal take on Mission Bay [mikeran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm from chicago, currently living in michigan and spent a bit of time working with the guys at mission bay (more like me bothering them). I have also been to bikesport and even shook the hand of the man, Dan, at the itu race in newport beach. All i have to say is that Bill, Tom and Dan do one thing that everyone should understand and it's that they (and their peers) have made this sport into what it is. Steve Locke and the people of usat do/did a nice job of getting more races sanctioned and whatnot, but without the support of these maharishis of triathlon, there wouldn't even be a P3 in the transition area for us to drool over, or even a race with a transition area for us to fall in love with that beautiful cervelo in. Be honest with yourself when posting about this, the guys at mission bay are triathlon salespeople and some of the best bike fitters around (whereas i'd consider tom to be a bike fitter with very little salesman) They need to make a living, and during the summer months you can't just expect to bring a bike in for a tune up and get to sit down and sip some chai with these dudes. Give them a break and realize that they're doing you a favor as Dan wrote in one of the other threads. On another note, i see that there is a new bikesport/something/something/something cycling team and i think that tom deserves quite the pat on the back for proving once again his dedication to sport (even though it should be a tri team!).
Quote Reply
Re: A personal take on Mission Bay [runswim1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't "bringing in a bike for a tune up" I was bringing back a BIKE they SOLD me that did not function correctly and needed repairs and they would not do them. The repair needed was verified by the bike manufacturer and even they called MB, yet MB would not fix the bike, according to them it was unnecessary, a totally different bike shop did the modifications as Softride suggested and the bike worked great after that, but main point I was making is that is not a way to do business, a dealer needs to stand behind what they sell summer or winter, not just sell it and then say sorry we can't support the product you bought from us. My impression was not that they were arrogant like some have said but they were very and totally sales ONLY oriented, in other words once they have your money go away!!
Quote Reply