Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A little advice on my IM Switzerland plan...Please!
Quote | Reply
I’m just looking for a little input and advice from others:

My main and only goal for next year is IM Switzerland. I would like to finish and put in a strong performance (for me this means feel good on the bike and run the marathon).

I did a half at the end of last year and recorded a 5:20. My bike was 3hrs dead and the run a 1:40. Swimming at the moment is a limiter, technique and endurance. My cycling is my strongest suit, with plenty of 100 mile plus rides under my belt. Running endurance

My plan is a 12 week prep period, followed by 2 X Base 1 and then Base 2 Base 3 Build1 and 2 etc. The thinking is that this would give me a lot of preparation at low intensities, an opportunity to build up slowly, but still plenty of time for more specific work.

Racing wise, I envisage a 16 mile running race in March, a duathlon or two (no pre June Olys here in the UK) a couple of sprints in Apr/ May and a half 6 weeks out.

I am 4 weeks into my prep programme and have been swimming 4 times a week (including the slow lane at masters) and keeping run frequency high. Cycling I am doing mainly fixed gear and off road. Lack of specificity for this does not bother me, as I am getting a shiny new Cervelo Dual in the New Year, and you are going to have to keep me off it! Weights are progressing as per Going Long.

I suppose my first queries are:

1) Is the overall plan sound? I know there are a lot of details missed out, but I am looking for input on the general scheme of things.

2) I feel very good now and am able to do more than I am doing at the moment. Is there any benefit in increasing my long run to about 90 mins from 60 (gradually of course), or should I just keep going with the present length? I am doing a 3-3 and a half hour session on the weekend (MTB, cycling, hiking). Any benefit in extending this yet? I don’t want to push it too soon, but I don’t what to stagnate either.

3) There are some MTB DUs around here in the winter, and I fancy doing them. Would this interfere with training too much? They are each month, and chould take about2 hours.

Thanks for taking the time to look, and all comments greatfully received….

------------------------------------------------------------

It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice.
Quote Reply
Re: A little advice on my IM Switzerland plan...Please! [nobodysperfect] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you my long lost twin? 5:20 half IM, new bike in January, swimming is a limiter ... I'm doing IM Austria next July 3, which I don't believe is too far from the timing of IM Switzerland. I'm about three weeks into my Base 2 program. I paid to have a training plan set up on trainingpeaks.com (formerly trainingbible.com). The virtual coach feature feeds me workouts, which is nice.

I can't really comment on your plan, except to say that it sounds like mine and that you seems to have more free time on weekends (I have a family, so if I can get in two 2 hr plus workouts I'm doing well).

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
Quote Reply
Re: A little advice on my IM Switzerland plan...Please! [Sparky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sparky

Weekends is the best time for me as my wife and I are yet to be blessed with issue. Add to the fasct that she is studying part time for an MBA, and you can see why I am chased out of the house to train even when I am not feeling up to it.

I thought about Austria, but settled on Switzerland, with the added carrot of staying with family in Paris the following weekend to watch the final stage of the tour.

Best of luck mate and keep us posted.

Chris

------------------------------------------------------------

It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice.
Quote Reply
Re: A little advice on my IM Switzerland plan...Please! [nobodysperfect] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, my name is Chris too! Spooky.
Quote Reply