Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [raider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still just amazed.
Not that someone is cheating, but just that I never in a million years would have thought of doing something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [santa777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol.

You people don't even know if this was used in the actual swim.
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [RushTogether] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If we go on that theory that it wasnt actually used in the race, what in the world are they using a modified pull buoy in training for?

ETA: You could be right and it wasnt used in the race, just seems weird to modifiy the pb to that degree.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: May 21, 12 5:52
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
If we go on that theory that it wasnt actually used in the race, what in the world are they using a modified pull buoy in training for?

ETA: You could be right and it wasnt used in the race, just seems weird to modifiy the pb to that degree.

I honestly don't have an answer for you.

Just seems pretty risky and stupid to try and use one in the race.
*shrug*
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [RushTogether] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is why to me it would be *easier* to use an modified pb. I guess I was saying, it seems silly to use a modified pb in training. It's stupid and risky to cheat, but people do it all the time in athletics, because the reward is usually greater than the risk for certain people.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago we got a post from someone, who knew someone, who does this.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...pull%20buoy;#3929988

Said they did it at St George.
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just find it sad that someone would put this much value into their identity as a AG triathlete that they would cheat. Good lord, it isn't like these people are winning races and making money.

I bet they are a fantastic person outside of triathlon as well. Typically, people that want the easy way out in a sport, do the same in life.
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [Allie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At first I was surprised but I've read way too many stories about folks aiming for AG glory and cheating and doping to get there. Go get some EPO and Test and dope your way to a kona spot, or use a modified PB
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and the person who posted it only posted once. hmmmm.
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I'm serious. The seriousness some folks are talking this alleged infractions is unbelievable.
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
At first I was surprised but I've read way too many stories about folks aiming for AG glory and cheating and doping to get there. Go get some EPO and Test and dope your way to a kona spot, or use a modified PB

No, I know of and have met, people that have done stupid stuff like this too. I find it a very sad state for someone to be in. How low must one's self-worth and esteem be to cheat at a HOBBY? That is just pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
I heard the same stuff went on last year which is why no compression socks or sleeves were allowed during the swim. Why the F would you sign up for a nonwetsuit IM. Just do Florida or Arizona. It's the same type course.

People get hypothermia WITH wetsuits on for IMAZ. November gets pretty darn cold~!
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [bluepoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluepoint wrote:
Premeditated cheating is especially sad.

Is this an observation from a one time ad hoc cheat! ;) (Pink and smiley as I am in no way intimating that you are)

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [Allie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allie wrote:
npage148 wrote:

No, I know of and have met, people that have done stupid stuff like this too. I find it a very sad state for someone to be in. How low must one's self-worth and esteem be to cheat at a HOBBY? That is just pathetic.

C'mon...people are freaking DOPING in the AG's. This is pretty tame in comparison.

Note - I'm not excusing this stoopid little fook. I'm just pointing out the extremes some people are going to in this sport to "succeed" and none if it should come as a surprise.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He brings up a good question about the modification to its shape. If you planned to put it between your legs you would cut off the top third so only the small, thin neck was visable between your legs from a surface view.

The two cuts on both buoy ends actually make it a better fit for your tri top, chest area. I'm going to throw out that a girl probably used it. Maybe a guy, you never know, but a girl could get away with it easier. I bet she either swam with it in her top or maybe moved it down to her legs after the start.
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [realtalk411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking more about overall course difficulty. I agree the swim was cold a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, apologies. Yeah the swim is pretty simple in a straightforward format. High likelihood of almost no waves~ Thinking it'll be my first IM whenever idecide to sign up for one!
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Allie wrote:
npage148 wrote:

C'mon...people are freaking DOPING in the AG's. This is pretty tame in comparison.

Note - I'm not excusing this stoopid little fook. I'm just pointing out the extremes some people are going to in this sport to "succeed" and none if it should come as a surprise.

and I am agreeing with you. I am not surprised and I still think they are pathetic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were wetsuits allowed at this race?

My questions though:

1) How would you be able to remove anything from your wetsuit while still in the water...swimming?
2) Do we know if this "thing" wasn't just dropped in the water or carried into the water by a volunteer or spectator?
3) For someone to swim faster with a pull buoy...their kick would have to be horrendous and they are concerned about having their low half - sink. Wouldn't a wetsuit help this regard - even without a pull buoy - and then I bring first question - how would you stuff this into their wetsuit?

So I am left with:
1) User most likely had a skin suit instead of a wetsuit. (even though it would be interesting to see how this could have been done)
2) If said user had a skin suit, I would assume they were not an age grouper - because then they could have had a wetsuit (assuming it was legal) and just use that buoyancy to keep them afloat somewhat.
3) Most likely the object (if it even was used by a racer) was just carried into the water and then tucked between their legs. Doubt anyone really saw it or if they did, probably didn't know what to say or who to say it to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why do it at all if you're going to cheat? This is crazy.

in a race this weekend guy was running off the pavement of the run and cutting corners across grass and dirt, sometimes gaining probably 5-10 seconds each time- he did it at least 6 times I saw. I wonder if he thought he was still running 10k- because my Garmin said 6.21 miles and I never stepped off the pavement. I should have reported it, but I was too happy with my race.

Quote | Reply
and my first thought was why anybody would opt to swim with a pull buoy? LOL!
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [mariutti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snorkels are in fact tolerated due to the USAT rules, however they are discouraged and were banned for a couple of years due to different insurance/ sanctioning as stated after your post. Navigation is next to impossible for these athletes and they tend to spend more time correcting their line than most, even the guy with a compass attached to his in Haines City this weekend!
Most federations tell their athletes what is permitted rather than what isn't so this tends to do away with some gray areas, compression wear falls fall under the swim suit regulations of covering body areas and aleviates one more oppurtunity of hiding floatation devices.
Despite the few isolated incidents like this or fin man I believe most people view the swim as a fair playing field, now if they would just carry this ethic onto the bike and run and stop drafting etc......... Oh yes and everyone please stop throwing trash anywhere you see fit, I still can't understand that one!
I'm done, carry on the good work.
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [greenmtnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greenmtnman wrote:
why do it at all if you're going to cheat? This is crazy.

in a race this weekend guy was running off the pavement of the run and cutting corners across grass and dirt, sometimes gaining probably 5-10 seconds each time- he did it at least 6 times I saw. I wonder if he thought he was still running 10k- because my Garmin said 6.21 miles and I never stepped off the pavement. I should have reported it, but I was too happy with my race.

Why is this cheating? I cut all the corners I can on a run or bike course. I try to get to the finish line in the shortest, "legal" distance. Unless he jumped over yellow tape the RD put up, why did you say he was cheating?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You honestly cut corners? If say there is a turn at a stop light right beside an empty parking lot, you'd cut through the parking lot, when the "course" was designed to turn on the road at the stop light?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: A cheaters modified pull buoy at IMTX [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
You honestly cut corners? If say there is a turn at a stop light right beside an empty parking lot, you'd cut through the parking lot, when the "course" was designed to turn on the road at the stop light?

I was being broad with my comment about cutting corners. He was making a blanket statement on the running section. Biking is different.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next