Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc
Quote | Reply
Read it and discuss you "mean people." :-)

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Jen_Annett_6841.html
Last edited by: Herbert: May 9, 18 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonnyo is correct in that he is protecting his athlete. From what is the real question...

This whole record business is just too messy, always has been beyond course records where the course does not change much. But no doubt pro athletes have some nice bonuses tied to them, so understandable that they fight for them regardless of how they were achieved...
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But she has other workouts posted to strava with power reading...
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised any pro ever releases power files from races to the general public. That's competitive information that someone else could use at the next race.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
That's competitive information that someone else could use at the next race.

Depends. It can also be used to competitive advantage. When someone's looking up your data, you're getting in their head. For example, back in when it looked like Lance was going to attempt IM and was posting Strava rides, he was getting all up in everyone's heads.
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'm surprised any pro ever releases power files from races to the general public. That's competitive information that someone else could use at the next race.

i discovered all the dimensions for george clooney's tuxedos and had identical ones made for me. since then i've gotten all the girls. which is remarkable, since the tux fits like crap.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Herbert wrote:
Read it and discuss you "mean people." :-)

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Jen_Annett_6841.html

Yeah, sorry Herbert, I am sitting this one out.

Great job on the article about Helle, though.
Especially liked the photos, that brought across a lot of the vibe of country and culture.

You can sit out but I'll bite. I don't think Jen is a cyclist who is 30 min slower than Starky at at the IM distance. Starky has gone 4:21 in Kona 2013. This would put Jen at 4:51 (maybe a bit slower since Kona is a longer race). Daniela Ryf was 4:53 last year on a near perfect day in Kona. Starky did not race Kona last year, but I would think he would be in the same range as Sanders and Kienle ~ 4:15.

I am certain that Jen rode a clean race, but her time would have been assisted by age group men packs going by. If Jonnyo released her files I bet we would see a few low power periods when she had to drop back to let a pack go and keep riding clean, but the moment everyone on here sees that lull, they will think she was in the middle of a pack not dropping back, so I can understand why Jonnyo does not want to release the files.

But as Jen said in the interview, we''ll all see how she stacks up to Ryf, which really puts the Texas 4:25 into context. Heck the Prince of Bahrain biked 4:30 in Texas and we're goinng to see a better reality of his riding in Kona.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 10, 18 5:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your article had an end game. You went in with an angle. You didn't get what you wanted. Youre hoping to stir up shit. No ones biting. Well Yet. Give it time. Its ST after all. And i think this article vs your interview with Matt has a really disappointing tone in comparison.

Meanwhile theres a white guy who finished second who was popped for meldonium in April and May 2016 and not a peep from our triathlon media. Sharapova got 15 months. ITU brushed this guys positives under the rug. But yeah...lets focus on suggesting the women cheated. Dare i say its not just disappointing its sexist.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is it a coach's decision on whether to release a power file? Surely it is up to the individual and the coach can only advise them on what to do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, read more like an interrogation than an interview.
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

Yeah a little harsh - if I was an athlete I would be pretty furious/upset (depending on my personality) to be questioned like that for an internet magazine.
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

Yeah a little harsh - if I was an athlete I would be pretty furious/upset (depending on my personality) to be questioned like that for an internet magazine.

Completely agree. Like appearing infront of a Senate Committee. If you suspected the Jen of cheating perhaps you should of come out and said it?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by trailerhouse [ In reply to ]
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is what the coach meant when he talked about "mean people" =D Maybe he forgot that people can be even meaner when they don't have facts to discuss about but just voice their own opinion and speculations...
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the results. Not many age groupers passed her on the bike, so not many drafting possibilities.

Seems an honest result to me!!!

Sam Gyde did you see her drafting :-)?

Herbert, contact the 5 age groupers that passed her on the bike!

Nobody drafts from the slowt witchers, although they see 500 people on the bike course, but a woman who sees 5!!! people gets accused šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
Last edited by: Testrider: May 10, 18 3:11
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since tone is important:

rhys wrote:
Meanwhile theres a white guy who finished second who was popped for meldonium in April and May 2016 and not a peep from our triathlon media. Sharapova got 15 months. ITU brushed this guys positives under the rug.

I'm confused what his skin colour has to do with anything. If he wasn't white would you reference his skin colour? Or are you suggesting the ITU wouldn't have "brushed... [his] positives under the rug"?
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Banned from 1st January 2016: Sharapova took the substance after the 1st, Tutukin not.

After a thorough review of the case, USADA concluded that the low meldonium concentration in the athleteā€™s urine samples, combined with the athleteā€™s explanation of use, was consistent with ingestion prior to the substance being officially prohibited on January 1, 2016.

Note: I am a slow IM runner, so nevertheless I suspect everybody who runs under 3 hours is talking EPO, steroids, testosteron and growth hormone. + of course drafting on the bike leg!!! + (Do they swim the whole distance? Spectating an ironman race I already saw somebody jumping in the water 500 meter from the swim finish!).
Last edited by: Testrider: May 10, 18 3:51
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
I think your article had an end game. You went in with an angle. You didn't get what you wanted. Youre hoping to stir up shit. No ones biting. Well Yet. Give it time. Its ST after all. And i think this article vs your interview with Matt has a really disappointing tone in comparison.

Meanwhile theres a white guy who finished second who was popped for meldonium in April and May 2016 and not a peep from our triathlon media. Sharapova got 15 months. ITU brushed this guys positives under the rug. But yeah...lets focus on suggesting the women cheated. Dare i say its not just disappointing its sexist.

Why does the colour of his skin matter? Why canā€™t he just be ā€˜a guyā€™?
Last edited by: dunno: May 10, 18 3:44
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course it had an end game. He wants the file to try to show she drafted. Itā€™s that simple. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get banned or something for this but come on, that was pretty ridiculous. How about finding real stories about the race and not fake stories that they want to be true.

Now if thereā€™s evidence of her drafting then thatā€™s different. But the fact that only a few age groupers passed her kinda show she wasnā€™t in draft packs.

What should really be pushed is just how much of a disaster that course was for everyone involved and how the pro women continually get screwed over in these races. 10 minutes to the AG men who wore wetsuits?! Come on now.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

i discovered all the dimensions for george clooney's tuxedos and had identical ones made for me. since then i've gotten all the girls. which is remarkable, since the tux fits like crap.

You don't think there's any advantage in knowing your direct competitors' detailed power file, whether they just ride steady or surge, how long those surges might last, particularly if you've never ridden against said competitor before? No advantage there at all, not even a psychologcal one?

#wowjustwow

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Of course it had an end game. He wants the file to try to show she drafted. Itā€™s that simple. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get banned or something for this but come on, that was pretty ridiculous. How about finding real stories about the race and not fake stories that they want to be true.

Now if thereā€™s evidence of her drafting then thatā€™s different. But the fact that only a few age groupers passed her kinda show she wasnā€™t in draft packs.

What should really be pushed is just how much of a disaster that course was for everyone involved and how the pro women continually get screwed over in these races. 10 minutes to the AG men who wore wetsuits?! Come on now.

Completely agree - I feel he went into that ā€˜interviewā€™ with a tone and agenda

Completely unfair and the right decision from Jonnyo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

You don't think there's any advantage in knowing your direct competitors' detailed power file, whether they just ride steady or surge, how long those surges might last, particularly if you've never ridden against said competitor before? No advantage there at all, not even a psychologcal one?

#wowjustwow

You should really stick to the pool. Posting to a measage board an average of 4.2 times a day only makes you an expert at wasting time.
Last edited by: turningscrews: May 10, 18 5:16
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Jen Annett about IM Texas, course records, her 4:25:10 etc [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Response not directed at you.

Not sure if everyone knows Jen Annettā€™s Story, but she risks caterer ending injury every time she jumps on the bike. I recall watching a profile video on her leading into the LC Worlds last year. She can have a pretty violent seizure at anytime, yet she still jumps in the water and hops on her bike... pretty inspirational

Maybe everyone knows this or maybe she put the topic off limits, but I would expect some mention in an interview of her condition and how brave she is for training and racing.
Last edited by: SBRinSD: May 10, 18 5:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be more interested in seeing cadence data than power.

I was looking at some athlete's cadence files from IMTX and it is amazing how they maintained 25 MPH while coasting on and off every few seconds.

I am a pretty poor cyclist but I know when I hit 25 MPH in the flats, I need to keep those pedals moving, or my speed drops immediately.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply

Prev Next